HTPC On a Budget (1 Viewer)

semichco

Portal Member
July 23, 2007
Home Country
Hi All!

First of all these forums have been a wealth of information over the past month in helping me put some specs together. My main aim is to build a sub $1000 Australian Dollar media center with the ability for it to be upgraded to cope with HD (Blue Ray etc) in the future. So far the specs read:

CPU AM2 Athlon 64X2 4200+
MAINBOARD Gigabyte MA69GM-S2H
RAM DDR2 2GB GENERIC KIT
GRAPHICS ONBOARD - To be upgraded to a ATI based 2400 or 2600 for HD use.
CASE Antec Fusion Black 430 (includes IR receiver)
POWER SUPPLY INC IN CASE
KEYBOARD\MOUSE ???
TV TUNER ???
HARD DISK SAMSUNG 500GB 16MB
DVD DRIVE ASUS SATA LIGHTSCRIBE
REMOTE ???

As you can see i have a couple of question marks beside some items and after some input.

I want a dual hybrid HDTV tuner PCI-E. I have looked into:
AverTv Duo Hybrid
Compro Video Mate E700

Media center Keyboard/Mouse & Remote
I have absolutely no idea what to get here. The Antec case states the IR works with the MS Remote... The
MS media center keyboard looks the best out of any i have seen.

The above components cost about $770 - Is this sub $1000 Media Center still attainable? :D

OgdenP

Portal Pro
August 12, 2007
Home Country
I've just recently put together a Low budget HTPC and am reasonably happy with my purchases. I went with the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard but the one you have listed probably would have been a slightly better option for roughly the same price.

If you really want dual PCIe hybrid tuners, have you considered the DigitalNow Dual Hybrid PCI-E S2? I found DigitalNow to be knowledgeable and provided excellent customer service (no connection - just a happy customer). I went with dual DVB-T only (as I find I no longer go back to the analogue stations any more) and chose the TinyTwin USB Dual tuner. I bought this a few months ago and have been using for a while on my other PC and am very happy with its performance.

As for a remote, I recommend the Microsoft MCE remote. It is well supported by MP and works well.

semichco

Portal Member
July 23, 2007
Home Country
I see your point with the Dual Digital. I guess once i have access to digital broadcasts i wont use analogue either. Ill certainly look at the DigitalNow Dual Digital PCI-Express DVB-T Receiver as it looks like a product that will suit my needs for a good price. Will the remote for that product control media portal through the Antec IR receiver? If not will this one? SunWave SMR-140

OgdenP

Portal Pro
August 12, 2007
Home Country
I've found that most of the product remotes are limited in function and only easily work to control the device and its software it was supplied with. They may be able to be reprogrammed with much mucking around, but even though I have two other remotes that were supplied with my tuners (the Compro DVBT-300 and the TinyTwin), I use the MS MCE remote as it "just works". The Sunwave loooks to be a functional replacement for the MS MCE Remote, so it may be just as good.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OgdenP,

I have the same MB and am having difficulties finding a suitable video decoder. Currently running the latest ffdshow for video and AC3filter for audio. Can I ask what you are running?

SOrry to hijackk the thread semichco, but 5 weeks of playing with codecs is killing me.

OgdenP

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2007
    Home Country
    I've used ffdshow as well as the one that came with the compro card (cyberlink, I think). I don't have a very good TV to watch it on yet, so can't see much difference between these two (but they are certainly better than the default video decoder).

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for that....I am in SYd and have setup to watch all HD channels. All is Ok but when watching sports, I get motion blur

semichco

Portal Member
    July 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Will i need to upgrade the onboard graphics to my planned 2400 or 2600 in order to watch HD broadcast with the tuner card?

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    semichco,

The way I tackled it was to try with what you have first...if no good then upgrade. Video card is always a good start. As for ATI cards...not having much luck Avivo hardware accelaration yet.... I' running a 4800+ AMD CPU with 1 gig mem and HD content works perfect. My prob is with codecs.............:(

semichco

Portal Member
    July 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks charli, Ive been in the IT industry for 10 years and everything i have read about HD decoding (specificly blu-ray and hddvd) tends to mention you have either a veryvery fast cpu or a video card capable of decoding HD content ala the 2400 or 2600 therfor removing the burdon of processing from the cpu. I was not sure if this was true for broadcast HD also.

In regards to that sunwave i got an email back from the reseller stating in one line no it wont work with antec case it comes with its own IR receiver.

As for your problem are you sure its not the tv and not your media center? Is this sports content a broadcast channel that you can watch using a tuner in your tv or via a external tuner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom