[Question] HTPC Requirements for on-the-fly transcoding and streaming (1 Viewer)

Johev

February 10, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Dear all,

I am trying to get a HTPC. Currently on a look out for one with i5-2405S, 4GB of RAM and Arock H67M-ITX. I want to pair it with a Digital Devices Cine S2 V6 and be able to stream live transcoded HD channels over my internet. I have a 4Mb upload speed, so let's say that I would use 2,5Mb for the stream and the rest would be left so that my wife could still surf the internet without problems.

The question I have is if you think this CPU with integrated HD 3000 GPU+MB HDMI output would be powerful enough to do this, or if I would need something more powerful?

Unfortunately the system is as is, and I either buy it and try to upgrade some parts of it, or I build a new one from scratch. Would a FM2 A10 5700 system be a better performer in this task?

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Johev

February 10, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi kiwijunglist,

Thanks for a fast reply, but as I said the mentioned system is a one piece sale. The price is very good (about half of what it would cost me if I was buying the components separately) and thus I wanted to know if it would be enough or if I will still need to upgrade it if I get it.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes it should be fine for what you want to do, I think transcoding is mostly cpu based so the onboard GPU is fairly irrelevant and i5 is very quick. The HD3000 is fast enough for watching 1080i in MP so I can't imagine you'd have any problems with that setup. Any problems streaming wouldn't be due to an underpowered cpu or onboard video. [DOUBLEPOST=1360467888][/DOUBLEPOST]PS. The AMD F2 A10 5700 onboard video is a lot faster than the HD3000

Last edited:

Johev

February 10, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Thank you very much. This confirmation was what I was looking for.

By the way I checked (very quickly) the comparison between the i3-3225 and the i5 2405S and if we disregard the GPU and the 10w difference, I think the rest favours the i5 greatly.

But thanks once again for all your extremely fast help. I think I'll go to sleep now (almost 5AM).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah i removed faster processer as when i wrote the reply i was thinking it was i3 not i5. I'd be surprised if that system wasn't up to the task. If you were choosing a new system then I wouldn't recommend that cpu, but 2nd hand for a good price should be fine.

There is information in the wiki about the on board gpu's
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/4_HTPC/HTPC_Hardware/Video_Cards_(GPUs)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom