HTPC style mouse+keyboard ? (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Im starting to realize that even though the remote is nice, it would be a good idea to have a keyboard with a small touchpad/stick/trackball to work with the HTPC.

I know MS makes one, but does it work with WinXP SP2+MP(or can be made to?) and is it any good?

11973.jpg

The only alternative ive been able to locate is this:
    5515-Mini-Keyboard.jpg

Its smaller(which i really like), but its also more expensive(almost twice as expensive). Both of them use IR to communicate with the PC which seems like a bad idea when mouse-like functionality is needed.

Which is better and what are the alternatives?

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I have this keyboard

rcawebtv.jpg

I also have a USB-UIRT that it might work with. I would need to test it out... But it would be cool to be able to use this... It works great for show searches.

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    Do these keyboards connect via PS/2 or USB? The reason I ask that my motherboard has a wake on keybord but all the documentation say this is for PS/2.

Ta
    MC

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Mine is IR... so it's wireless... You really don't want a wired keyboard for a HTPC.... thats really not the point.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The MS remote is the best! I can point at any wall in my room and the receiver catches the input (with new batteries). Indead a quality product.

chili

Portal Pro
    September 20, 2004
    somewhere in the bowels of Texas
    I bought the MS keyboard and returned it after 2 days.

It felt "cheap" in my hands, some of the buttons stuck in the down position and the backlight (cool looking) only stayed on for about 1 or 2 seconds which is not long enough for you to find the key your looking for in the dark.

I do love my MS remote though!

pirlone

Portal Pro
    October 21, 2005
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    i'm using the same btc kbd as chili... and i'm quite happy with it, pretty inexpensive too...

regarding remote, i'm using hauppauge 45 button remote which came with nova-t card. it has same buttons as ms's mce remote (except for start button), but there is one feature i miss with it - can't wake up comp with it since it hasn't usb receiver (his receiver is connected directly to dvb card)

rgs,
    pirlone

Trombon

Portal Member
    January 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have the Amitech minikeyboard on the second picture and I'm satisfied with it. It's also cheaper than the MS keyboard here in Sweden

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom