HTPC using Mboard with integrated graphics? (1 Viewer)

Septic Weasel

April 16, 2005
I want to build an HTPC for audio/video entertainment only (PVR functionality, play DVDs/CDs, etc. - I do not need to play games)

However, I am constrained to building it around a Hiper Media case (http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/media.html).
The Hiper Media case is very restricted for space (only 55mm high) and has only one expansion slot available - this will be populated by a PCI TV tuner card.

The problem I have is to identify a Mboard/CPU combination that:
1) Provides integrated s-video TV-out
2) Provides SPDIF out (to allow external decode of 5.1 soundtracks)
3) Provides all external Mboard connectors on the main Mboard panel - extension panels are no good to me (No spare expansion slots on the case remember :) )
3) Provides enough processing power to run audio/video functions (games support not required)
3) Runs cool enough not to overheat in the small case.
4) Ideally is cheap - leading edge technology (latest CPUs etc.) may not be required to achieve my goals

Please could someone advise on the minimum CPU/graphics requirements to run a HTPC for audio/video functions only?

Also if anyone can recommend some Mboard/CPU combinations that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Youll be struggling I think to find something that compacted. Even the new nvidia nforce 410 doesnt sport that many features. You might have to compromise.

The nforce 410 has a geforce 6150 onboard and could do what you want it to do if:

1) Provides integrated s-video TV-out <- get a DVI -> Svideo/Component adapter
    2) Provides SPDIF out (to allow external decode of 5.1 soundtracks) <- expansion slot so make it just hang out the back
    3) Provides enough processing power to run audio/video functions (games support not required) <- Its 939 socket so a 3000+ will be about as cheap as it gets and they are really cheap.
    3) Runs cool enough not to overheat in the small case. <- depends on the case's cooling
    4) Ideally is cheap - leading edge technology (latest CPUs etc.) may not be required to achieve my goals <- being new it probably wont be

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    wow..thats a pretty sweet case

i guess if u want anything else u can just go USB for remote/tv tuner/etc

madmonkeyman

Portal Member
    June 10, 2005
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    I went for a MSI RS480-IL which is a socket 939 Micro-ATX motherboard and has the following back panel ports:-

- 1 x Parallel
    - 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
    - 1 x PS/2 Mouse
    - 1 x Audio I/O (Line-in/Line-out/MIC)
    - 1 x SPDIF-Out
    - 4 x USB 2.0
    - 1 x IEEE1394
    - 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack
    - 1 x VGA Port (onboard Radeon X200 using shared memory)
    - 1 x S-Video port
    - 1 x Composite TV-Out

Here is the link:-

http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703524&cat_id=77

I used this for 9 months and it worked really well. Just upgraded the graphics card to a Sapphire X800 256MB cause I like playing games on the big screen but the onboard graphics is just fine for mediaportal.

Septic Weasel

April 16, 2005
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The MSI RS480-IL seems to have everything I need from a functional perspective.

Madmonkeyman, You say that this setup would be OK for using media portal. If I have to, would this setup also run MCE (I know I could be thrown out for even mentioning the words :) )
    I believe that the integrated graphics on the RS480 are DirectX 9.x compatible and, in comparison to other integrated graphics solutions, it is pretty good quality.
    Would I notice any improvement in TV picture quality if I used a seperate Direct 9.x graphics card instead of the RS480 integrated graphics?
    I both cases I would expect to use a direct s-video connection for simplicity unless anyone can tell me of a better quality way to connect to a standard CRT TV?

fathead

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    Go for the ECS RS482 board if you want the features of the MSI but at a cheaper price (the ecs can be had for £45 including VAT).

Personally though I'm waiting for the ASUS A8N-VM CSM :D

madmonkeyman

Portal Member
    June 10, 2005
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    I can't see why it wouldn't run MCE, not tried it myself though to be honest. Was never willing to pay for MCE that's why I looked in to alternatives and found the fantastic MediaPortal.

There is no change in TV quality whatsoever between using the onboard and the dedicated X800 graphics. They both use svideo out and the quality is just fine.

Svideo works just fine for me.

I've actually bought the ECS motherboard as well for a friends project. I think, if I remember rightly that they are a bit stingier with onboard and rear connections. I'll check on that one and get back to you.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2005
    That case only has a 200 watt power supply. A DirectX 9 motherboard with an Athlon 64, hard drive, CD and TV tuner is going to exceed that. And the height restriction on CPU heat sinks is pretty restrictive.
    But hey, it looks nice!

I have a Jetway A210GDMS-Pro. It uses a non-ATi south bridge so it doesn't suffer the USB speed problems the boards with the ATi south bridge chips have. It also has hi-def audio and TV outputs. For boards that require a PCI riser it may not work since it has two PCIe slots. However, there is an A200GDMS version with AGP and PCI slots. It uses a socket 754 instead of 939 and supports less RAM but it should be more than enough for MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom