HTPCInfo plugin v1.15.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (16 Viewers)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
Re: HTPCInfo plugin for MediaPortal v1.3.1

Hello doveman,

Of course I could, and so could you. Don't take it personally, I'm only trying to help, and I can't make plugins, so you win anyway ;)

All first posts of my plugin threads are updated now, thx.

... but the ZIP files contains strangely named files that no-one could know how to copy to the MP folder ...

Strange. If I download the zip file(s), all file names are fine. Could you explain this issue a little bit more?
To understand, which files must be copied in which directory, the manual can be helpful.

Cheers, Micropolis

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Re: HTPCInfo plugin for MediaPortal v1.3.1

All first posts of my plugin threads are updated now, thx.

Cool, that was quick work :)

Strange. If I download the zip file(s), all file names are fine. Could you explain this issue a little bit more?
To understand, which files must be copied in which directory, the manual can be helpful.

The one I've got (which has a file date of 22/09, so I guess I downloaded it then) shows a MediaExtension.xml and a Installer(CopyFile) folder with loads of files starting with {xxxxx} but you're right, I just downloaded it from the first post again and it looks fine now. :)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
HTPCInfo plugin for MediaPortal v1.3.2

Dear community,
an updated version of HTPCInfo for MediaPortal v1.2.0 can be found here.
This release contains minor improvements, updated documentation and enhanced skin example files. Skin changes for previous version v1.3.1 are not required.

Cheers, Micropolis

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
re: HTPCInfo plugin v1.3.2 for MediaPortal 1.2.0 RC/1.2.1

Thanks. It's still messed up with StreamedMP for me though (excuse the FPS counter).

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
re: HTPCInfo plugin v1.3.2 for MediaPortal 1.2.0 RC/1.2.1

Hello Doveman,

Thanks. It's still messed up with StreamedMP for me though (excuse the FPS counter).

as I said in previous posts before: I cannot see any plugin related errors.
But some comments to your screenshots:
  • Speedfan isn't installed (correctly), becaue of this no sensor related informations can be displayed
  • The skin files comes from an earlier version (the button "Reinitialize plugin" doesn't exists anymore, now it's a context menu entry).
  • Before posting comments, please take a look into the manual before. Search for chapter "Skin changes" and you can find all skin related changes between distributed versions.
  • The included skin files are examples only, I'm not able to create skin files for each skin in the world. These examples must be understand as a demonstration for skin owners or users, which has the knowledge to create or change skin files for himself.
  • Each skin has different specific settings (e.g. #header.label), the example files cannot cover all of this. In my opinion, the skin author is in driver seat here.

In your thread here I can only read your statement, "the skin doesn't work". What do you mean here? It helps a lot, If you post specific question and not comments only.

Cheers, Micropolis

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Re: AW: HTPCInfo plugin for MediaPortal v1.3.2

@doveman: And what has this to do with the plugin itself? Please post in the relevant forum (in this case StreamedMP) ;)

I thought from Micropolis's comment that it came with skin files, which is why I posted that it didn't look right. Lots of plugins do come with skin files, so it seems reasonable to post in the plugin thread first about any appearance/layout problems. Now I know it doesn't, I'll move it to the StreamedMP thread ;)

as I said in previous posts before: I cannot see any plugin related errors.
But some comments to your screenshots:
  • Speedfan isn't installed (correctly), becaue of this no sensor related informations can be displayed
  • The skin files comes from an earlier version (the button "Reinitialize plugin" doesn't exists anymore, now it's a context menu entry).
  • Before posting comments, please take a look into the manual before. Search for chapter "Skin changes" and you can find all skin related changes between distributed versions.
  • The included skin files are examples only, I'm not able to create skin files for each skin in the world. These examples must be understand as a demonstration for skin owners or users, which has the knowledge to create or change skin files for himself.
  • Each skin has different specific settings (e.g. #header.label), the example files cannot cover all of this. In my opinion, the skin author is in driver seat here.

Thanks for clarifying that it doesn't come with skin files. I thought you'd made some, which is why I posted here pointing out that it wasn't displaying properly. I don't think I need to study the Skin changes chapter before mentioning that it doesn't look right. I'm not a skinner, so I'll leave that to someone who is.

Of course I don't expect to see any sensor information when I'm not running Speedfan.

In your thread here I can only read your statement, "the skin doesn't work". What do you mean here? It helps a lot, If you post specific question and not comments only.

Cheers, Micropolis

You've lost me there. There's no such statement in that thread (it doesn't even contain the words "skin", or "doesn't"!). I posted screenshots there clearly showing the problem (the same as here), and tested the files m3rcury provided and told him they didn't make any difference (but it seems they were designed for BasicHome, which I don't use anyway).

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany

Hello doveman,
let me try to explain my point of view in other words:

Currently I'll maintain 10 different MediaPortal plugins, and this for free. Each plugin, ...
  • has between 6.000 and 7.500 lines of c# code, graphic and resource files
  • refer to core libraries with approximately 5.000 lines of codes
  • has more than two or three language file(s)
  • needs a good and helpful documentation, in summary 75+ pages for all
  • skin specific files

In my opinion these bullets speaks for themselves. My decision is to publish stable and (hopefully) useful plugins, not pixel-by-pixel tested skin files. Our community has a lot of high talented skinners. I'm very suprised that my skin oriented counter parts (like catavolt, Tgx, SilentException, Dadeo and many others) support me here on a great level. Of course there should not be forgotten diverse helpful members, who support me with native language files.

I'll respect your words and I can understamd this also. But, please understand also my point of view. It's not possible to fullfill user wishes, enhancements or poorly clarified comments and messages in time. On the other hand I have also a "real" life, a own company and a lot of customer related expectations. My daily business as a test, quality and process management consultant is time intensive and requires unrestricted attention.

I hope, we can close this dicussion here, I'm not happy to speak about the same thing again and again. Otherwise I would be forced to suspend my engagement here. To me it is of course aware, that this decision would not be fair to this wonderful community.

Thanks for your understanding, best regards and cheers,
Micropolis

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country

Hello doveman,
let me try to explain my point of view in other words:

Currently I'll maintain 10 different MediaPortal plugins, and this for free. Each plugin, ...
  • has between 6.000 and 7.500 lines of c# code, graphic and resource files
  • refer to core libraries with approximately 5.000 lines of codes
  • has more than two or three language file(s)
  • needs a good and helpful documentation, in summary 75+ pages for all
  • skin specific files

In my opinion these bullets speaks for themselves. My decision is to publish stable and (hopefully) useful plugins, not pixel-by-pixel tested skin files. Our community has a lot of high talented skinners. I'm very suprised that my skin oriented counter parts (like catavolt, Tgx, SilentException, Dadeo and many others) support me here on a great level. Of course there should not be forgotten diverse helpful members, who support me with native language files.

I'll respect your words and I can understamd this also. But, please understand also my point of view. It's not possible to fullfill user wishes, enhancements or poorly clarified comments and messages in time. On the other hand I have also a "real" life, a own company and a lot of customer related expectations. My daily business as a test, quality and process management consultant is time intensive and requires unrestricted attention.

I hope, we can close this dicussion here, I'm not happy to speak about the same thing again and again. Otherwise I would be forced to suspend my engagement here. To me it is of course aware, that this decision would not be fair to this wonderful community.

Thanks for your understanding, best regards and cheers,
Micropolis

I very much appreciate your work on your plugins. I don't appreciate your threat to abandon the community unless I shut up, nor do I appreciate you accusing me of making statements and unclear posts when I haven't (which you've chosen not to apologise for).

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my previous posts as criticism of you for not supplying working skin files for StreamedMP. I certainly never intended them as such and was merely explaining that I thought you did and why I posted about my problem here.

If you don't want (or are too busy) to respond to this post, that's fine by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom