I must be stupid...I cannot get EPG to work (1 Viewer)

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
All,

I've decided to go ahead & upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10...but on my HTPC, I'm going to obviously lose Windows Media Center. So, I've set out to find a replacement. I tried WinTV that came with my TV Tuner...that was crap. I've tried Kodi (formerly XBMC), and while I finally got TV to work after 3 weeks of trying...I cannot get a good EPG for the U.S. and their support sucks as I've asked for help, and received no answers.

So...after a search, I came across Media Portal, and while I got TV going right away with NONE of the issues of Kodi...I'm stuck again on the EPG settings. I cannot seem to get the TVGUIDE.COM option to work, and the others are a bit beyond my ability to do programming.

So...can someone PLEASE help me with this? I really want to get this to work!

There's a bit of a learning curve in our home, so I need a software that will work rather similar to Windows Media Center. The EPG needs to update on it's own, preferably record based on the name of the program, not the time slot (since shows sometimes move or are delayed due to presidential speeches).

So please, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
Home Country
Yeah, I guess that would help.

I've got Media Portal 1 installed.

Also to note, I've tried the following Walk Through guides...

WebEPG
TV Guide.com

My TV Tuner for the HTPC doesn't use a DVB TV Card. I've got normal "standard" Time Warner Cable with only a couple of the freebie digital channels you get without their TV box.

Zip Code is 53158 if that matters.

I'm seriously feeling like a moron here...I usually don't have issues doing things like this.
Thank you

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    TV setup is done and working.

I've never done something like this, so I tried to pick ones that would be closest to what I thought I'd be able to do...and I failed miserably on both the two I listed.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    my BAD, the webgrab++ tvguide.com has been broken for 1+ year, I never figured out fix. Sorry @Dragon41673 wasted time with that option, my fault. I'll put a DON'T USE WARNING MESSAGE.

Best options for USA EPG,

schedulesdirect plugin, need account $25/yr
    use mc2xml (v1.3), xmltv-plugin with schedules direct account, download with mc2xml
    use mc2xml (donater $20 or so) with xmltv-plugin, use new win7 download
    WebEPG/imdb, but bit hard to setup, not really good option for big lineup lots of channels

some people have used zap2xml with xmltv-plugin instead. I have never tried that http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

Last edited:

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok...I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly...

I will need to signup for an account at schedulesdirect? This would be for the TV Listings would it not?
    I will need to get a different Media Portal version...which is at least $20.00? I cannot seem to find it.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    no charge for MP1/MP2,

SchedulesDirect sells EPG download for $25/yr, I'm using this option http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ there are tools you can use with this option. I view this as $2/month, less than 1 $tarBuck$ coffee/month

the guy who wrote mc2xml has "improved version" that can use win7 EPG data, he sets the price for his SW http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/ you can use this option with MP1 or MP2

Dragon41673

August 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok...I'm confused...

There is a media portal 2? Was it recently released? I must have missed that.

The xc2xml option may be an issue, which is the reason I'm trying to find a replacement for Windows Media Center. In Windows 10...it no longer exists. So there won't be any info for this file to pull from...which is what I think you're referring to as win7 EPG data.

I need a solution that will work like windows media center, but it will be used for a windows 10 computer.

The whole "pay before you try it" thing is an issue as well. There is no telling if it will work or not, which is why I'm trying to used Media Portal...I want to make sure it works before I pay for anything. If I had paid for Kodi and WinTV...I'd be broke now.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    before the EPG changeover, mc2xml, v1.3/free could use legacy EPG, mc2xml/donator could use legacy and new(er) win7/8 option. After EPG chaos, legacy no longer works. Donator win7/8 still works from MP user reports, I don't use it so can't say much. SD offers 7 day free, and $6 2 month option.

WebEPG/imdb is another option, I thinkzap2xml is free,I have never tried it so can't say much

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom