I will do anything to automate the renaming of YYYY-MM-DD shows. Please advise. (1 Viewer)

GollyJer

Portal Member
September 16, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've read threads in these forums about this topic and most of the time there is faint reference to "just automate the renaming of the file" like it's super easy to do. If it is then I'm totally missing the boat...

Since My TVSeries doesn't support importing Conan.2011.07.27.Justin.Timberlake.mkv I thought it would be simple to find a 3rd party tool that watches a folder and renames it to a usable form like Conan.S01E32.Justin.Timberlake.mkv.

I'm coming from SageTV which can import without user interaction. I've tested XBMC and it's derivatives... Boxee, Plex, etc. and they all do it. This means there HAS to be a tool out there that can take a file, look it up, and change the name so TVSeries can import it correctly.

I'm really loving many of the features MediaPortal has over the competition but this issue makes it tough stay with it. Any specific advice on renaming the file is greatly appreciated. :D

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    First off, I want to say that I am not any type of expert on the TVS plugin, but I do know that you can setup custom naming structures so that it will import however you like. There is a tab in the config that lets you do this. Also, yes TVS auto imports your watched shares or folders/drives, no user interaction required. Just make sure the file is in a share that TVS is watching and that it is named to one of the predefined or custom styles and all is well.

GollyJer

Portal Member
    September 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks Lyfesaver74 but your answer is as vague as all the others I've found.

How would you suggest using string replacement for 2011.07.27 to S01E27? It's not possible without a third party application that can look up episode information by date or until TVSeries can look up episode information by date. TVDB has this information, it just has to be used.

In reality the SxxExx concept is stupid. "the scene" and everyone else should name their shows with the air date and all import apps should look shows up by air date. This would solve the majority of problems people have with importing TV.

Sorry... [/rant]
    Still hunting for a solution. :)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    sorry, my answer on the naming was vague as I have never had to use it. I use the renamer app to mass rename my series files to the ?x? or S??E?? structure as I have a TON of items in that plugin that were never aired, and if they were aired the naming structures I use are able to be used in every instance I have come across. Even sporting events and specials like the Olympics or when David Copperfield had specials, holiday specials i can go on and on. To be fair, I don't do talk shows or soaps but I can't see how the ?x? or S??E?? would not work. I have 0% failure on my imports, and I never have to go in the config. Wish I could be more help. I am sure there are lots of users who have mastered strings. I will see if I can point some to this post to help you out.

GollyJer

Portal Member
    September 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Lyfesaver74, I'm not sure if you meant it or not but your comment led me to the app theRenamer. It accomplishes exactly what I was looking to do in this post. Thanks!

Ray, Good point. I hadn't thought of that. These problems must be a lot tougher to solve in other countries.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    GollyJer - Right on! I would have mentioned ReNamer sooner but I thought you wanted aomething that did it automatically as you downloaded/recorded. Renamer is a MUST have app =)

ray - Very good point!

GollyJer

Portal Member
    September 16, 2008
    Home Country
    @GollyJer - Right on! I would have mentioned ReNamer sooner but I thought you wanted aomething that did it automatically as you downloaded/recorded. Renamer is a MUST have app =)

theRenamer does allow for semi-automation by calling it with the -fetch parameter. I set it up in Windows Task Scheduler to run each day at 3AM.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    right on =)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The next release of TVSeries will support AirDate parsing to match up episodes from theTVDB.com e.g.

Conan.(2010).2010.11.08.Baa.Baa.Blackmail.mkv
    Conan.(2010).2011.07.20.Hell.Hath.No.Cell.Phone.Reception.mkv
    The.Colbert.Report.2011.07.27.Dr.Missy.Cummings.mkv

The regular expression table will be automatically upgraded so it should just work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom