[solved] i3-4330 3.5 GHz to weak? (1 Viewer)

hidalgo

Portal Member
July 6, 2014
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I got a HTPC (AsRock B85M-ITX, i3-4330 3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, SSD, DigitalDevices Cine C2 V7) running Windows 10 Pro and MediaPortal 2.1.3 and have a problem on recording 1080p channels if they come with 5.1 sound. Watching live TV is no problem but if I try to record it, it starts shutter live TV and on the recorded video. If program is only stereo there’s no problem. Is my CPU really to weak or is there another problem I should look at?

BTW timeshift works.

Alberto83

Portal Pro
August 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
I wonder if the disk is the problem.
Can you try moving recording on a seconday HDD?

hidalgo

Portal Member
July 6, 2014
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
So, I’m a step further. First I tried recordings on a external usb-disk and it worked fine. Before I forgot to mention that I use a NAS for my recordings. And now I know, it’s the LAN what gives me trouble. Very strange, because I got gigabit ethernet all around with a Netgear and a DLink switch. Now I try to figure out where the failure is. Changing the cable from HTPC to the switch does not help.

Alberto83

Portal Pro
August 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
can you transfer a big file to max the bandwidth and see if it's actually running at 1gbps? it should be around 125MBps but anything around 110MBps is very good speed.

hidalgo

Portal Member
July 6, 2014
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
It’s not the network. I tested a lot with iperf and get always good results. I think, my NAS gives me the trouble: bandwidth is between 100 and 300 Mbits/sec. I think this is way to slow.

hidalgo

Portal Member
July 6, 2014
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I think both of them. I could increase the network bandwidth by activate jumbo frames on the HTPC, the switch and the NAS. BTW it’s an old QNAP TS-410. For the moment I think it’s ok and the bandwidth is about 500 MBit/s measured by iperf 2. Mostly I don’t get any artifacts anymore. For the future I think about a new NAS, maybe the successor TS-431P2; any suggestions?

Alberto83

Portal Pro
August 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
it could be a problem with old smb protcols. I cant check your models specs right now. but can you by any chance try 9000MTU jumbo frames, and also iscsi? the overhead shoud be much much less with iscsi, and might help. SMB tends t be very chatty..

hidalgo

Portal Member
July 6, 2014
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I’m just testing iscsi. It seems to be a nice idea.

BTW I’m already running jumbo frames that gave me more speed: iperf measure about 800 MBit/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom