jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ideally, the "editor tab" would be similar to that in the Movies database
    I don't think that would work. With my collection of hundreds of albums I think this would be unusable.

Any thoughts from anyone else on this?

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Ideas for Music Section

just a thought... i have a view called "albumwall" where there are only albums shown with their coverart (entering these lists the tracks). the aim is to have only complete albums listed in this view with their pretty coverart. so is there a chance to implement a function to only use some particular folder to built "another database" which, in this case, would only use my folder called "albums", only containing albums? now, with the database of all folders of my music collection, this albumwall also consists of the single tracks which mostly have no coverart embedded (or which isn't shown). because of the large amount of single tracks, there are so many foldericons without coverart and these disturb the nice look of the albumwall...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Ideas for Music Section

just a thought... i have a view called "albumwall" where there are only albums shown with their coverart (entering these lists the tracks). the aim is to have only complete albums listed in this view with their pretty coverart. so is there a chance to implement a function to only use some particular folder to built "another database" which, in this case, would only use my folder called "albums", only containing albums? now, with the database of all folders of my music collection, this albumwall also consists of the single tracks which mostly have no coverart embedded (or which isn't shown). because of the large amount of single tracks, there are so many foldericons without coverart and these disturb the nice look of the albumwall...

The issue with anything like this is how do you identify what an album is? You can not do this based on tags and you may do this one way but someone else do it another. There are many similar applications (eg. my music, music from the kids, music from wife....)

Just not sure how we can implement this....

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Ideas for Music Section

The issue with anything like this is how do you identify what an album is? You can not do this based on tags and you may do this one way but someone else do it another. There are many similar applications (eg. my music, music from the kids, music from wife....)

i would not identify via any tag, i thought of a solution so this could be done independant from the existing database with the whole music collection by selecting a seperate folder which only contains albums like in this example or maybe only music from the kids as you said... or maybe it could be done by excluding a seperate folder from the whole database (the one with all single tracks in it)... but this was only just a thought, if it is useless for the majority then just don't think about it any further ;)

zOnk.oNe

Portal Member
    September 24, 2008
    Thx for response/suggestions :)

Will look at this later. What actually is it that takes the time? Is it loading a pre-defined playlist, adding files to a playlist or say selecting play on a genre to play everything that is taking the time?

Loading a pre-defined playlist. I'll admit, I do have quite a bit of music, but as a comparison: If I add my dub* playlist to winamp, it takes about 8-10 seconds to load and start playing. In MP, it's ~3 minutes.

Once the list is loaded, I can play pretty quickly...like after MP (HTPC) goes to sleep.

*Dub playlist is one of the smaller ones.

:)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Re: AW: Ideas for Music Section

... that's not that difficult - just add a field "albumart present" - then you can define a view that only displays the stuff that has proper artwork (or combine that in the different views - or even make it selectable from the GUI, if the view should include or exclude content without artwork).
    The scraper would have to update this field depending on artwork being either in the file itself or in the folder.
    maybe you could also use the property of the facadeview - but the approach with db-field is probably more flexible (could have a field for album, artist, etc. for different views) and might perform better?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Ideas for Music Section

... that's not that difficult - just add a field "albumart present" - then you can define a view that only displays the stuff that has proper artwork (or combine that in the different views - or even make it selectable from the GUI, if the view should include or exclude content without artwork).
    The scraper would have to update this field depending on artwork being either in the file itself or in the folder.
    maybe you could also use the property of the facadeview - but the approach with db-field is probably more flexible (could have a field for album, artist, etc. for different views) and might perform better?

But that just filters stuff which has album art not albums. I would still want to separate out singles from albums but I would want album art for both. Also it gets more complicated in that you may have an album with 10 track and only 2 tracks have embedded art does this count as having album art or not?

I don't plan on going down this route but I am thinking of doing something which would allow you to filter on different shares

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    jameson_uk: You didn't respond to searching like moving pictures, is that possible in music section as well :)?

possibly ;) I want to sort out the basics first (ok/enter/play functionality, cleaning up the code, scraping artist info and thumbs etc) and tbh I think this will keep me busy until we freeze the code in preparation for 1.2.

Search maybe something I will look at but it is a quite far down the list

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Ideas for Music Section

But that just filters stuff which has album art not albums. I would still want to separate out singles from albums but I would want album art for both. Also it gets more complicated in that you may have an album with 10 track and only 2 tracks have embedded art does this count as having album art or not?

I don't plan on going down this route but I am thinking of doing something which would allow you to filter on different shares

that's a good idea - currently I use separate share for nonalbumstuff and exclude this from indexing/DB to avoid having too many "albums" with just one song in it - so your approach would allow reading all tracks into DB and use viewsetting to achieve that - plus searching still would find those singletracks - great!
    Re artwork - I think you're right - too many possibilities also from where in what view the artwork may come - plus different qualities - but the approach to distinct it via the sharesource gives a nive improvement e.g. to have one with "properly tagged" stuff and one share with "nonordered stuff" ;-)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom