Ideas for Picture sction in 1.3 (2 Viewers)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Similar to the thread regarding Music Section I like to grab Input witch way the dirty ole Pictures Section could be a bit more "State of the Art". The actual solution is simply ugly and is missing some (lots of) core functionalities of a picture viewer. I have XBMC installed only to have a picture viewer controllable with my remote. That is not the way things can be "forever"...

The main "NoGos" inho are the incredibly slow thumbnail handling, the lack of lots and lots of image formats to open and the missing of a default Zoom mode .

Thumbnails can probably handled by windows (stored in thumbs.db) This is lightning fast and don't fill the Thumbs Dir in MP Program Data with 100.000ands of small .jpg files. My picture collection is about 500.000 images. This will lead to a single dir with 1.000.000 files in. Imagine how "fast" this can be...:mad:

The default zoom mode can easily be added as the main functionality is build in already. Just a matter of someone to add this. On large screens like FullHD TV most of the pictures are thumbnail- size only. On single view I can change this with remote, but have to do so on every image. This is nasty and no way to handle this. Playing Slideshow this option is available too but absolutely not usable.

The lack of tons of image formats can probably be overcome by using FreeImage, an open source image library. This comes with modular import for mainly all known image formats and full documentation, including a .NET wrapper and .NET IO functions. So this could be used inside MP without problems as long as I understand this right. The list of usable image formats is nearly endless, lots of functions to play with,...

What else do you miss with this not too much beloved child of MP??

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    The ability of playing Videos from within myvideos is imho a major mess. It works somehow but is quite inconsistent. So after thumbnails this is #2 topic for me.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great that someone wants to pick up the my pic ideas, I will digg for some old posts which had a lot of suggestions.

One that I was thinking about for MP2 was getting the information from picasa on recognized people in pictures. I would really like browsing my pictures by people using the remote (I use picasa for that now).

Alos there seems to be a bug in the thumbnail generator: it ignores the rotation settings in EXIF

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Ideas for Picture sction in 1.3

Hi.
    Lets see what we have:

1) Thumbnail Handling needs a complete rework
    2) Video Playback needs to be more consistent.
    3) Much more Image formats to be supported.
    4) Ability to set a default Zoom mode similar to myvideos.
    5) Possibility to have "non black" Borders due to a blurred and scaled version of shown image as backdrop
    6) better/more Transitions like simple fade over, fade to black <-> fade from black,...
    7. add a panorama mode (pictures wider than the screen are scrolling slow from left to right)
    8. show goetagged photos on an map or jump google earth like from photo to photo
    9. picture slideshow while listen to radio or music.
    10. Be able to select a folder and view the pictures in the subfolder without to have to go into each subfolder and view slideshow from there. (If this is possible now, I would like to know about it)

I will add new wishes/ideas here when they are posted.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

7. add a panorama mode (pictures wider than the screen are scrolling slow from left to right)
    8. show goetagged photos on an map or jump google earth like from photo to photo
    9. picture slideshow while listen to radio or music
    10. ...

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    10. Be able to select a folder and view the pictures in the subfolder without to have to go into each subfolder and view slideshow from there. (If this is possible now, I would like to know about it)

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Since there are a lot of ideas already i just wanted to say THANK YOU! for planing to improve the picture section.

:D

9. picture slideshow while listen to radio or music
    10. ...

9. You can already start music playback and then start a picture slideshow. Unfortunatly, when music playback is over there
    is no way to start music again without stopping the slideshow.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

It would be great if the Play button would pop up a "Start slideshow for this folder?" while the OK button just browses like usual.

Emph

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa

Use the R.Slideshow button. That stands for Recursive Slideshow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom