[confirm] If some video is played on background, starting another movie fails (1 Viewer)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    See, as I understood there is NO DIFFERENCE either to use standard 1600x1200x72 mode or custom 1600x1200x72.
    It is same.

If you want to call the refresh rate change over the nvidia panel with MP you will either use the custom resolution trick or the .bat file trick. I don't think that you can set c:\\windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 XX in the Action field directly unless you have a custom resolution already made.

Too bad that it doesn't work cause for me this did the trick. I had exactly the same symptoms with you. The easiest way to see if DRC is properly working is to start a movie and then stop it. If DRC is switching refresh rate back then it is not working. It should not revert back to any refresh rate after the stop command (unless you have specified a "default refresh rate).

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I don't think that you can set c:\\windows\\system32\\rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1920 1080 32 XX in the Action field directly unless you have a custom resolution already made.
    But I did it with bat files even outside MediaPortal - for MPC-HC, to make refreshrate accordingly to movie's fps.
    This time I also put these strings directly to ACTION fields. I can see that mode is changed everytime - according to monitor's OSD.
    And this I was able to do before I created custom resolutions.

The easiest way to see if DRC is properly working is to start a movie and then stop it. If DRC is switching refresh rate back then it is not working. It should not revert back to any refresh rate after the stop command (unless you have specified a "default refresh rate).
    It works exacly like you said.
    If I do not specify default refresh rate, it works like this:
    - if curr. mode (72 hz initially) is equal to fps - mode is not switched
    - otherwise mode is switched
    - after stop - mode is not changed (I see it in monitor's OSD)
    If I specify default rate (72 Hz):
    - if curr. mode (72 hz initially) is equal to fps - mode is not switched
    - otherwise mode is switched
    - after stop it is always changed back to 72Hz.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Can you please provide logs where you start a movie that needs refresh rate change and then you stop it and refresh rate is reverted while it should not.

See the point is, i reported this issue last summer... yes last summer.

And apparently it is still there for some people.

Refresh Rate is reverted back to the windows default one while it should not. And i think this issue is triggering only under windows XP.

So lets have a look on your logs and maybe a dev can see something that should not be there.

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Can you please provide logs where you start a movie that needs refresh rate change and then you stop it and refresh rate is reverted while it should not.
    I attached logs:
    - initial mode is 72Hz
    - I started movie 25Hz -> monitor switched to 75Hz
    - press ESC
    - start another movie 25Hz -> the 1st movie stopped, the 2nd not started
    - monitor is still 50Hz
    - to restore 72Hz , I started movie 24Hz
    - monitor switched to 72Hz
    - next press STOP
    - monitor is still 72Hz
    - Exit from MP
    - monitor is still 72Hz

Default mode is OFF

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I am not a dev but i see this in your logs.

2010-04-18 07:18:36.390625 [Warn.][(22)]: Main: ***** OnDeviceLost *****
    2010-04-18 07:18:36.406250 [Warn.][(22)]: Planescene caught DeviceLostException in InternalPresentImage

And if i recall correctly this is not good :)

Try to activate the option "Use Device Reset" in DRC configuration and try to play the files again.

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Try to activate the option "Use Device Reset" in DRC configuration and try to play the files again.
    Then at starting a video the display becomes blank and I can hear infinite clicks (~1 Hz) inside display. The MP can only be halted by TaskManager.

2 Dev Team
    I think that since this bug is seen not only by me - why we cannot register it as a bug in BugTracker ?

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Infinityloop said on an other thread that there are no devs left that are still using Windows XP.

I think the dev team is unable to reproduce this issue since Device Reset is affecting XP only and not Vista/7.

But still i need to know, is one OS favored more than another by the dev team?

I mean i love XP and i would prefer to keep using it BUT if devs are not going to resolve issues that are affecting XP then i would like to be informed so i can switch to 7 although i would not prefer to.

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    It is very sad if MP is more supported for Win7 than for WinXP.
    Lot of people are still using WinXP and not going to migrate to Win7 untill SP1 is released.

One think is still worrying me - earlier (1.0, 1.1 alfa) it was working smooth but later (1.1.beta) was broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom