[fixed] - Image browser crashing in Folder View (WMC skin)

Discussion in 'Submit: Bug Reports' started by Digsy, September 1, 2018.

1. Digsy

Digsy Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Home Country:
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Show System Specs
    MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.1.3

Description
    Not sure if this is the correct way to submit a report, but I have uncovered a bug in a different thread. I have quoted the relevant posts below.
    02-Sep-2018: Steps to reproduce updated.

Steps to Reproduce:
    In my case (may be different for other screen sizes / aspect ratios.
    1) Use the WMC skin.
    2) Create an image folder which has enough images in it to show 8 columns of thumbnails (enough columns to fill the screen, but not require sideways scrolling).
    NOTE: The image folder MUST contain a subfolder (see below).
    3) Browse to this folder and select any thumbnail in the 8th column. This should cause MP2 to crash.
    Thumbs bug2.jpg

Last edited: September 2, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ge2301
    • Team MediaPortal

ge2301 MP2 Design

Automotive Industry
    Ratings:
    +2,293 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    @Brownard
    When I want to enter folder view under images I always get and empty view and number of media items as "-1" or MP is crashing.
    The strange thing: I'm in "show all MI's" and when switching to folder view it sets automatically the filter "year".
    Unbenannt.jpg

4. Brownard
    • Team MediaPortal

Brownard Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,314 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Thanks, I can reproduce it here.
    And I can reproduce this, so I'll try and fix both.

@ge2301 The VirtualizingPanels expect/assume that all of the items are the same size in order to predict the position of the items that aren't being rendered. This means that the different sized folder container is going to cause layouting issues. It should never crash though so we should at least be able to avoid that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. ge2301
    • Team MediaPortal

ge2301 MP2 Design

Automotive Industry
    Ratings:
    +2,293 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    I know, but it's somehow not avoidable. We have 3 different base layouts: thumbnail, squared cover (audio), Poster. If I change the folder container to a squared format, it will crash in combination with poster und thumbnails in folder view. Additonally it would be hard to place text inside due to space. I was aware ofthe problem, but almost nobody uses the folder view, so probably thats why the problem was not found before. Deactivating smooth scrolling for only folder view is also not a good idea. I guess these are also the problems keeping you away from grouping rework ;)

6. BlueMax1916
    • Super User

BlueMax1916 Super User

Ratings:
    +122 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi,

I am using folder view for example because my photographs mostly are not tagged. It odes not crash in the Tiranium Extended skin but it is soooo slow during each folder change if you have a lot of subfolders and a lot of pictures in each folder. Starting on the main pictures folder takes about two minutes to show the subfolders.

Cheers

Blue Max

7. Lehmden
    • Team MediaPortal

Lehmden Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3,608 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi.
    Don't think so, especially if you have a clean folder structure as you've collected images long before MP2 exists, then the database view is completely unusable. I always use folder view in Videos and Images. Only for Series, Movies and Audio (where extra metadata and fanart is available) I use the library view as only there the library view does make sense imho. I simply never had this crash up to now also ever since the very first beginning I'm using folder view...

But I never were really happy the way folders and media items are displayed without respecting the aspect the images and/or thumbs have. They are cropped or distorted but mostly not shown properly. Maybe it's time to rework this so portrait, landscape and square "thumbs" could be used together in one list/grid...

8. Lehmden
    • Team MediaPortal

Lehmden Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3,608 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Yes, this is true too... Not only for pictures but most of the time when you enter a module (Audio, Series, Movies, Images,...) it take ages before the lists are shown. Once you are inside the lists it's getting better (but not good enough, imho) Also I have to say, the images part needs far the most time to be shown. Probably because there are the most media items contained (at least here)...

9. ge2301
    • Team MediaPortal

ge2301 MP2 Design

Automotive Industry
    Ratings:
    +2,293 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Not sure what you mean. Show me one example where something is distorted or cropped.

10. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,379 / 21
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Is this still crashing the app or does it meanwhile work?

11. Digsy

Digsy Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Home Country:
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Show System Specs
    @HTPCSourcer Having now got 2.2.1 working I can report back:

It is not crashing anymore but the behaviour is now totally different. In the same folder that was causing the crash before, now if I keep using the arrow keys to select the next image to the right, the arrangement of the thumbnails and the position of the image with focus changes erratically. I have tried to show this in the attached pictures:

In this image I have selected a picture in the last but one column on the right. All good so far...
    All good.jpg

Now I go one extra click to the right. Previously this would have caused a crash but instead now all the thumbnails rearrange themselves.
    1 right click.jpg

And another click to the right...
    2 right clicks.jpg

And a third....
    3 right clicks.jpg

And a fourth.
    4 right clicks.jpg

So now instead of a crash, is just all goes a bit crazy. Sorry guys - this one isn't fixed. :(

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!