IMDB Ratings - # of Stars displayed is incorrect (1 Viewer)

mojo_lo

Portal Member
September 1, 2007
Not sure if this is a skin issue or an MP issue. I am currently using StreamedMP v0.5.361 but recall having the same problem with monochrome in the past.

Problem is that the number of stars displayed in mediaportal while browsing movies is incorrect. Have confirmed in MP settings that MP does download the correct IMDB ratings and rounds them off correctly. However, the wrong number of stars are showing when actually browsing the movies in mediaportal.

For example:

All the King's Men: Rounded to a score of 6 in MP settings; Only shows 5 stars in mediaportal.
Amadeus: Score of 8; 7 stars
An American Crime: Score of 7; 6 stars
American History X: Score of 9; 8 stars
American Psycho: Score of 7; 6 stars

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This is unfortunately a bug in the image list control. There is a < sign in there somewhere where there should be a <= sign. I have been meaning to create a patch for the MP team for a while. i will try to do it this week so maybe it will get into 1.0.1 of MediaPortal...

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The issue still persists also in 1.0.1 version.
    Waiting for the patch! :D

All You devs have done a very good work!
    :D

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    An idea:
    why not displaying the vote in numbers with one decimal value just like on imdb.com? There actually they paint also parts of a single star if the vote is not an integer, i.e.:
    The Shining (1980)

bye
    --
    aP

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    An idea:
    why not displaying the vote in numbers with one decimal value just like on imdb.com? There actually they paint also parts of a single star if the vote is not an integer, i.e.:
    The Shining (1980)

bye
    --
    aP
    I like this idea, there is a lot of difference between a 7.0 film and a 7.9 film too :)
    Rich

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    An idea:
    The Shining (1980)

bye
    --
    aP

We originally used and will switch back to using decimals. We truncate the decimals currently to (poorly) work around an issue with the MediaPortal control used to display lists of images (i.e. the number of stars). We're going to try to get this fixed for 0.8. Either we will create a better work around for the issue, or we will submit a patch to the MP guys (obviously the later would be more desirable).

This is a little off topic, but do you guys really care about 10 stars? I mean I know we want it to be accurate, so under the assumption that they are fixed, would you prefer a skin to show you a 0-10 star scale? I always figured my ideal setup would be a five star system (with no half stars) for a quick, at a glance rating, with the actual decimal rating printed on the movie details page. For example a movie with a rating of 7.2 would be rounded to 4/5 stars and 7.2 would be on the details page... This is more of a skinning issue, it doesn't really have much to do with the app, but this is the type of setup I would like to see personally.

audioPitheco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2009
    furlan
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    @ fforde

mhhh... yes perhaps for a first sight it could be better see even only five stars... but in my personal experience a ten value rating (with the first decimal expressed too) in couple with the number of votes are necessary to understand before if the movie a quality one or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom