iMon Pad and Logitech Harmony setup problems (1 Viewer)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
MediaPortal Version: Planning for 1.0.0.1
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
Windows Version: Vista x64 (Returning to Vista x86 soon)
1. TV Card: TerraTec Cinergy S2 PCI HD
HTPC Case: 3R System Mstation HT-1000 w/iMon 0x3b
Remote: Logitech Harmony 885 configured as iMon Pad

I'm in the process of getting hold of my complete setup as i'm planning to format my computer (waiting for MP1.0..0.1), so i'm fiddling around with my remotes. I started with Notepad just to try out the signals, but they seems to be insane, or simply just being hyperactive.

Problem #1

If i for instance press button number 1, either on the iMon or 885, the signal will be repeated about 20-40 times when i try it in Notepad. I've tried to reduce the "keyboard repeat rate" in the iMon software to minimum, but it's still crazy (Maybe less, but 20+ is ALOT more than one). Any suggestions?

Problem #2

I have a TV, HTPC, Amplifier/Receiver and a XBOX360, but i want to set them up in a smarter way, maybe add buttons to turn on/off one device manually by pressing a custom made button related to the remote display. But than again, it will be problems because of the inputs for TV and amp. I'm just not very satisfied with the so called activities that are default in the setup. Anyone having a good advice on this one?

Sorry if this ain't the best part of the forum to post this q, so be my guest and move it if it doesn't fit in here...

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Problem #2

I have a TV, HTPC, Amplifier/Receiver and a XBOX360, but i want to set them up in a smarter way, maybe add buttons to turn on/off one device manually by pressing a custom made button related to the remote display. But than again, it will be problems because of the inputs for TV and amp. I'm just not very satisfied with the so called activities that are default in the setup. Anyone having a good advice on this one?

I think there's no way around the activities. I took me some time to configure it, but finaly even my wife is very satisfied with the harmonyOne!:D

I don't use Power bittons just manualy, not with the start/end of an activity, because it didn't work fine with devices with Toggle Power (same Button for On/Off). But it's very helpfull for changing input of amplifier and function of MP (myMusic, my Video, my TV,...). For this I had to map the functions of MP to keyboard buttons, these keys to buttons of Imon and finaly to Harmony... a little bit work.

So actualy I have 4 activies:
    • watch TV
    • BueRay/DVD
    • Radio
    • Music

And as I said before: Even my wife loves it!

Greetings

BERND

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    ye i see you also had similar problems, but your input was repeated twice, mine are about 20-30 times, and when i tried to increase the repeat rate, it was repeated close to 100 times. It applies BOTH for my Logitech and iMon Pad, so it has to be something to change with the iMon software, right?

waskol

Portal Pro
    October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    In fact, I would say that, unless they are used as MCE remote, the harmony remotes are not fully compatible with the iMon infra Red receivers when they are programmed as iMon remotes.
    This due to the fact, that the harmony remotes fail to reproduce the Infra Red Signals and it is Logitech which has to be blamed for this.
    There are so many people who meet some iMon related problems on their forum with that :
    Universal Remotes - Logitech Forums

This is how Logitech explain the incompatibility of their remotes :
    Typical IR, say a Sony, Sharp & others use 1 IR signal for a command, and that signal is ALWAYS the same no matter how much it is sent, or repeated. Another slight version of IR that is probably the most common is the Toshiba type, where the signal comes first, then a secondary 'Repeat' sequence is sent to signify the holding down of a button.

IR = IR Sequence

R = Repeat Sequence

Sony Type = (IR) - (IR) - (IR) - (IR)

Toshiba Type = (IR) - (R) - (R) - (R)

Now when it comes to an (IR) sequence they are a few types. Again the most common is the never changing type. Another is a Bit Toggle type of IR signal where there is a positive & negative. Microsoft & Philips codes are like this, where the first time you press the "0" button it sends the positive value of IR, and the next time you press "0" it sends the negative.

Imon are a bit trickier since they use a Repeating - Finish type of IR. A higher bit hex IR signal is sent first, then when you let go of the button a "your finished" IR signal is sent. This type is harder to analyse, and is why whenever you try to learn you will more often end up with a RAW command as opposed to an analysed. Also speed & repeats will come into play if you don't successful learn in that finishing value.

IR Frequency and other things come into play which all add up to a bit tougher signal to "play around with", but achievable.

And more over, it seems that the problems are slightly different depending on the logitech remote model you are using. The 5xx series meet some different problems than the 8xx series.:confused:

But when the remote is used as a MCE remote, it works just fine with the iMon Manager as long as the frontview is set on "Always" or "Automatic". As soon as you (or a 3rd party software such like Minidisplay, IrTrans, etc..) turn it on "Never" (if yu wan't the nice MP display effect on it, it is mandatory) , the signal is no longer captured nor treated by iMon Manager : This time it is a bug coming from Soundgraph. But they promised to do something about that :
    SoundGraph forum thread

At least if not solved, I will probably have some answers about that issue.

That would be great to use our harmony at least as MCE remotes !

But for the moment, it's such a real pain. :(

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    okay....

but i've read about many people getting it to work nicely. First of, let's put the harmony remote aside, and try to get the iMon pad working. I have the same issues with that remote, the signals are repeated like 20-100 times, and that's just not acceptable when i should try to browse the mp menus...

waskol

Portal Pro
    October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    ... try to get the iMon pad working. I have the same issues with that remote, the signals are repeated like 20-100 times...

Okay, thus obviously, the main problem comes from your HTPC side, not from the remote : Hardware (IR receiver) or Software (not IMON Manager but rather drivers themselves) :
    Have you checked in the Windows Device Manager ? Does the iMon hardware appear somewhere init ?

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    There's one under usb controllers named 'SG Remote Control Device (x64)', and i guess SG stands for SoundGraph. Should i have more devices?

waskol

Portal Pro
    October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    tell me... you did not installed another IR receiver other than your SoundGraph (SG)????

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom