Import movies while mediaportal is running?? (1 Viewer)

grooves12

Portal Pro
November 1, 2006
Moving Pictures imports new movies when MP is launched, but it never updates new movies if they are added to the folders while MP is running. Is there any way to import new movies without having to close MediaPortal?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Moving Pictures imports new movies when MP is launched, but it never updates new movies if they are added to the folders while MP is running. Is there any way to import new movies without having to close MediaPortal?

Your log file should reveal if the movies that are picked up by the monitor system are auto-approved. If they are not, then you will have to start using better filenames (like including year), simple NFO system, or XBMC NFO system to get them added automatic.

The movingpictures.log file will contain something like:

27-Mar-2010 18:53:42 Info [ MovieImporter]: Added "Movie Title" (2010).​

Which is the final confirmation that a movie got added into the database. It follows after:

27-Mar-2010 18:53:13 Info [ MovieImporter]: Auto-approved Movie Title [2010].avi as "Movie Title" (2010)​

If you lack the Auto-approved line, it means the movie needs manual confirmation to be accepted via the Moving Pictures configuration screen. This sounds like what is happening in your situation, so you need to use better filenames, or rely on one of the NFO systems that are supported.

grooves12

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    The files are all being auto-approved just fine.... the problem is it won't happen if they are added to the disk if the while media portal is already up an running.

The importer only imports the files at launch. If I close MP and re-launch they all get imported and added to the DB. But, that is a pain, and I don't want to have to do that. I want it to pick up all the files by rescanning at regular intervals, just like TVSeries does.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The files are all being auto-approved just fine.... the problem is it won't happen if they are added to the disk if the while media portal is already up an running.

The importer only imports the files at launch. If I close MP and re-launch they all get imported and added to the DB. But, that is a pain, and I don't want to have to do that. I want it to pick up all the files by rescanning at regular intervals, just like TVSeries does.

Then check your settings to make sure it is configured to scan for changes while in use.

This all shows in log file as well, such as:

28-Mar-2010 22:37:55 Info [ DeviceManager]: Starting Disk Watcher​

If that fails, then at this point, you might want to switch MediaPortal into debug mode and attach your movingpictures.log file to your next reply, so that the cause can be identified.

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Not sure about config options but I just wanted to confirm if I put new movie files in my movies directory while MP is running, Movingpictures imports them fine and adds them right to the list without having to restart anything. This is on the latest "stable" MP (7.5.xxxxx).

grooves12

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    Here is the error I am getting from the log.

29-Mar-2010 21:21:03 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:21:33 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:22:04 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:22:35 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:23:05 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:23:36 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:24:07 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:24:38 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:25:09 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:25:39 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:26:09 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'
    29-Mar-2010 21:26:40 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'

How do I resolve this?? If I close MP and restart it, it imports it fine, but MP can't be what is locking this file, because it never accesses it. Any ideas?

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    As it says, file is locked... is the file in use maybe, or restricted from access on your PC?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Here is the error I am getting from the log.

29-Mar-2010 21:21:03 Info [ MovieImporter]: DELAYED: File='inf-fireproof.mkv', Reason='File is locked'

How do I resolve this?? If I close MP and restart it, it imports it fine, but MP can't be what is locking this file, because it never accesses it. Any ideas?

Common reasons for locked files are:

• File is open in another application (that should not be hard to figure out, but it can also be your Anti-Virus software)
    • The file is still being copied (usually should clear up, so that MovieImporter can get to it, this is why you see it retrying in log file)
    • Windows Explorer is trying to generate thumbnails, and locks the file in doing so (you can disable this standard Windows behaviour, please use the Microsoft KB on how to do so)
    • A lot of other reasons

Now fear not on the last part, there are tools to find out what process is actually putting a lock on the file. My own favorite is procexp.exe (Process Explorer) from SysInternals (now part of Microsoft).

They even got a cool open share setup, open Windows Explorer and change the Address into \\live.sysinternals.com\tools\ and wait a few seconds (depending on how fast your internet is), and there you can find the latest version of procexp.exe to run directly or copy to your system.

Once you start procexp.exe, use CTRL+F to search for the file that is locked, in your case "inf-fireproof.mkv", and it will highlight the actuall process/program that has a lock on the file. This should help you diagnose the problems you are dealing with.

It could be MediaInfo.dll for example, in which case I suggest you first try to obtain a newer version of that DLL from the MediaInfo SourceForge site (they have an option to download the DLL only).

grooves12

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    I never got around to trying to resolve this until now... but, I used procexp to search for what is keeping the files open and nothing is found... so any other suggestions?

Fjollboll

Portal Member
    May 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It's probably the program you use to download the file, like a bittorrent och direct connect software. Try to close them and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom