Improve TV picture quality with post processing (1 Viewer)

kensiko

Portal Member
September 30, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
MediaPortal Version: 1.21
MediaPortal Skin: Std
Windows Version: 7 64bits
CPU Type: Q6600 @ 3.3 GHz
HDD: SSD
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Motherboard: Biostar TP43Combo
Video Card: HD6850
Video Card Driver: Latest
Sound Card: Realtek
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppage PVR-USB2
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver: Latest
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ATI Mpeg Multiplexer
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV
h.264 Video Codec: ATI Mpeg Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Cable analog
HTPC Case:
Cooling: Enough for any OC
Power Supply: Kingwin Platinum
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hello,

I've been using Mediaportal for a while now. I use it mainly for TV streaming. The server is with a Intel E5200 computer and 100Mbps LAN. We mainly use the client mode, with a laptop in our kitchen in WIFI mode. It does work pretty well, the only thing I can complain is the time media portal takes to start.

Now I didn't use mediaportal a lot on my computer because I feel the image is blurry. I would like to improve the quality. At first I thought it could be due to my big screens (23 in Samsung 16/9 and 20 in Dell 4/3), but if I play blu rays it is crisp.

Yesterday I started to look at what I can do to improve quality. I tried all the MPEG2 codecs that was in the list, but I didn't see any improvement. I started to see improvement when I added post processing filters. But there are too much. I tried the settings suggested in the Postprocessing guide with ffdshow, but the results were awful.

Is there anyone here that had the same issue as me and they found the best filter?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi kensiko

I'm of the opinion that picture quality can be very subjective. In other words, I don't think there is any one-size-fits all approach to this. Experiment with what you think looks good to you. A little sharpening... maybe a different deinterlacing algorithm... maybe a little contrast increase or colour saturation adjustment. In my opinion less is more but again, the most important opinion is your own.

mm

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Analog NTSC is 640x480 and BluRay is 1920x1080. <-- There's your problem ;)

We're talking about BluRay containing 6,75 times as much material per image, deeper colour, seperate chrominans, luminans, higher bitrate etc.

But a bit of edge-enhancement or sharpening may be enough to make you content with the good old 1953-standard OTA transmission :)

kensiko

Portal Member
    September 30, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Analog NTSC is 640x480 and BluRay is 1920x1080. <-- There's your problem ;)

We're talking about BluRay containing 6,75 times as much material per image, deeper colour, seperate chrominans, luminans, higher bitrate etc.

But a bit of edge-enhancement or sharpening may be enough to make you content with the good old 1953-standard OTA transmission :)

I know the blu-ray is crisp because of the quality of the source.

The problem is that I don't see any quality issue when listening TV on my laptop. The laptop is 1366x768 so I can't really compare with my 2048x1152, but I still feel there is something going on on my PC.

I think the ATI video scaler filter does help. I will have to spend more time on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom