[Finished] Improvement suggestion for Weather Plugin (1 Viewer)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd like to propose that we try to find the user's location automatically when there are no locations yet set yet. Makes the start and run experience even greater ;)

How?
    Simply call:
    http://freegeoip.net/json/
    and extract the city from the json data and get the weather condition for that.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Is it okay to have empty city? :(
    Code:
    {"city": "", "region_code": "", "region_name": "", "metrocode": "", "zipcode": "", "longitude": "100", "latitude": "60", "country_code": "RU", "ip": "...", "country_name": "Russian Federation"}

Last edited:

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    iirc there is already a mantis issue to have a default city if nothing is set. This information could be attached there.

I like the idea a lot, but it should be reliable.
    If the city from the web service is empty we could fall back to one or more cities of the timezone which us configured or a few 'big cities' or famous places.... Everything is better than nothing ;)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seems like that service hasn't mapped Russia yet :p
    We should try to find a good one (someone know if we can get that info from Google? - They must have the biggest DataBases).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tried freegeoip
    {"city": "", "region_code": "", "region_name": "", "metrocode": "", "zipcode": "", "longitude": "174", "latitude": "-41", "country_code": "NZ", "ip": "111.69.XXX.XXX", "country_name": "New Zealand"}
    Country (New Zealand) is correct, but city (Christchurch) is blank, and longitude + lattitude is too far off to be useful (about 500km off, co-ordinates land me in the pacific ocean)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom