[Finished] Improvement suggestion for Weather Plugin (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can't remember if i tried the old version on this computer or my other computer. Anways tried running as administrator didn't work either. Not sure why the view count is unchanged.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't have visual studio, not keen on installing it either.

EDIT: This new verison doesn't work on either PC.

Last edited:

Valk

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @kiwijunglist since you're having troubles with the app attached is the weather plugin with my mods.

If you've already used the weather plugin before then it won't try to auto add a city when you first go into weather. If you want it to try goto %ProgramData%\Team MediaPortal\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Config and delete anything to do with the weather. There will also be a folder which will most likely be your username. In that folder there will also be other weather config files, delete those also.

You don't have to go through all that, there's also a button in Settings > Plugins > Weather > Setup Locations. It will say [system.detect] (wasn't sure what to name it).

It should automatically detect your location and add it to the list.

Attachments

• DetectWeatherMod.zip
      17.5 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't have MP2 installed currently :eek:

PS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that MP1 world weather already has auto detection implemented, are you reinventing the wheel here?

Last edited:

Valk

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I was just following the flow of the thread.

I haven't looked at MP1. My idea was simple to do so I just did it out of interest. I'll take a look at what MP1 did.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well I spent a little time and implemented the detection method into the weather plugin and I updated the testing tool to hopefully get around the "Reserved" issue (I move onto the next node).

Attached is an updated testing tool (based on the code I used in MP2) so if people could give it a shot and give some feedback.

Oh and to anyone who's familiar with MP2 I used HttpServer.Helpers.XmlHelper to deserialize the XML from freegeoip by adding a reference to HttpServer. I'm not sure if that's the preferred way to do it or just implement my own deserializer, thoughts?
    This version now starts up correctly.

The detection result is completely wrong for me (~450 km away). It's probably a result of my DSL provider.

Valk

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well that seems to suggest the idea won't work for most people (was worth a shot).

Alwell when I get a chance I'll look at the other weather plugin and see how they did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom