Improving my TV Out (2 Viewers)

bwzuk

Portal Member
January 9, 2005
I've been using MediaPortal for several months now, but I've always been unhappy with the TV Out from my onboard Nvidia Geforce4 MX. I've spent ages fiddling with the display settings, but the bright colours always appear oversaturated, while the dark colours are always washed out. I'm considering getting a new graphics card, but since I've got a small Shuttle case I'm also interested in hearing about people's experiences with external TV converters. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a decent picture quality? Preferably something I can purchase in the UK easily.

Sleeperservice

June 12, 2004
An Insignificant Planet
I upgraded my graphics card to an Nvidia FX5200 (from an old GF2) and I couldn't be happier. I use the s-video output and the picture quality is great. I chose the FX5200 because you can get it with a passive heatsink (ie no noise and not too much heat). The only downside is games (performance is not too good) but I only watch TV & DVDs...

A

Anonymous

I'm also about to replace my GeForce4MX for the same reasons - did you get a new card - and was there an improvment in the colour reproduction?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    If your going to get a new card have a look at the Nvidia 6200. Its a bit more than a 5200 but it comes with component out. Itll be about as good as it gets. Going from Svideo -> Component is huge, its even possible to read internet webpages on the tv now. Colours are as washed out now either.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i have a 6600 and i thought....WOW...Component..the answer to my prayers...however....

component only allows certain resolutuions...if u have only a 576i TV (like me) its pretty much useless.....as my TV card is mostly 720p and 1080i .....also games do not like running in 576i....they prefer 800x600..1024x768..or 720p or 1080i.
    this causes half the screen to be chopped off...ripples in resolution...v-sync problems...jitter problems.....of course its mainly my crappy TV

if u have a good TV then u should be fine using component

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    But the component out runs 576i and works with our sdtv (576i) fine. And video gets resized automatically so theres no problem there. Sure its "wasting" quality but its not like were gonna spend $6k on a HDTV anytime soon.

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    I updated mine telly to flat LCD tv with dvi in. Im running it with ati 9000 pro. The gpu is directx 8.1 so i'll need to upgrade that graphics card later.
    Picture is clear and resolution im running it is stunning 1360x768.

There is no digital to analog conversion on signal path so quality is fabulous :D

thinksnow

January 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Would it be worth it to swap a GF4 TI4200 for a 5200?

I'm running DVI-to-HDMI right now, and if I swtched to the 5200, I'd have to use either the s-video or the VGA.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I also went from an onboard GF400 to an AGP 5200. The onboard cards do not have DX9 acceleration so the improvement in speed was huge.
    Also, with the onboard GF4 you can't use VMR9 so I believe there is also an improvement in picture quality by ditching overlay mode and moving to VMR9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom