Include timeshift buffer in recordings (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do I understand it correct that you copy the complete TimeshiftBuffer in front of the recording?

I think that this is exactly the thing which this whole feature is for?

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes. Does your TV server in use 7/24h? I mean is the TV server timeshifting all day?
    Yeah, sometimes I have bad habits during my semester holidays :/
    E.g I start watching a show during lunch time, after my lunch I pause the show, do all my learning for the university and than I just continue^^
    The ts buffer also doesn't get cleared if you switch between channels.
    So if you watch 3h tv and than you want to start a recording of a show which already started, but is in you buffer you will end up with 3+h of recording...

Don't get me wrong, I really like your effort here, but there I have some concerns...
    Maybe you can calculate the amount of data which you need. We have skip steps so there must be a method to determine where in the ts buffer is what.
    So you could calculate the time between program start and current time + 10min and just copy the needed amount of data.
    I think this sounds easier that it actually is, but I hope you get my point :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think that this is exactly the thing which this whole feature is for?
    yes it is, but it includes the whole TSbuffer. e.g if you timeshifted 3h it will put you 3h of ts buffer in your recording if I understand it correct... To be 100% sure I would need to try it myself :)

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I started a similar thread myself https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/add-timeshift-buffer-to-a-recording.107438/
    and how I thought this thing to be like in the following example:
    You watch a show which started at 8 and decide at 8:30 that you would like to record this show. I would then like mp
    to check the epg how much to add from the timeshift to the recording. In this case this would be 30 minutes plus the standard
    recording buffer prior every recording, something like 5 minutes or so.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I started a similar thread myself https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/add-timeshift-buffer-to-a-recording.107438/
    and how I thought this thing to be like in the following example:
    You watch a show which started at 8 and decide at 8:30 that you would like to record this show. I would then like mp
    to check the epg how much to add from the timeshift to the recording. In this case this would be 30 minutes plus the standard
    recording buffer prior every recording, something like 5 minutes or so.

I don't have information how to assign EPG time and TS buffer position.

In the 1st version I will extract all buffers to one file.
    In later I will (try to) store when was the last channel change and go back to that point when copy the buffers.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would then like mp to check the epg how much to add from the timeshift to the recording. In this case this would be 30 minutes plus the standard recording buffer prior every recording, something like 5 minutes or so.
    That would be incredibly complex. It would be easier to just record every show and then throw away the recordings if the show finishes and the user hasn't said "I want to record this show".

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, of course I am just a user and by this I am expressing suggestions from the users perspective. I can imagine how difficult to develop this may be...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, of course I am just a user and by this I am expressing suggestions from the users perspective. I can imagine how difficult to develop this may be...
    Yeah, understood. :)
    From a user perspective I guess it is not so nice to have a longer-than-normal pre-record section for two reasons:
    1. When viewing the recording, you don't immediately see the program that you expected and may think that MP/TV Server made a mistake in the recording.
    2. If archiving the recording without re-encoding, it uses more HDD space than necessary.
    It is relatively easy to trim the start and end of recordings... even if it has to be with a non-frame-accurate editor that works on the TS packet level.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom