Inquiry re Ceton Infinitv 4 USB, MP, and Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

G

GlamRockCowboy

Hello! I'm contemplating getting a Ceton Infinitv 4 USB tuner to use with my desktop PC. As my system specs indicate, I'm running Windows 10 Professional, with all the current updates installed. What makes me wonder about whether I should go through with the purchase, however, is the following statement on Ceton's website:

"Microsoft Windows Media Center is not available in Windows 10, and if you would like to maintain your HTPC setup we recommend you do not upgrade! Windows Media Center will continue to be supported by Microsoft until they end of life Windows 7 in 2020 and Windows 8 in 2023.

There are currently no alternatives to Windows Media Center for CableCARD protected content on your PC. It's not a question of Ceton supporting other DVR platforms, all CableCARD tuners are required to use the DRI specification from CableLabs. This freely-available specification allows DVR software packages to control CableCARD tuners and access copy-freely content. To access Copy Once content the DVR software must implement a CableLabs-approved form of copy protection, typically WM-DRM from Microsoft. This is why MythTV, Sage TV, XMBC, etc. do not support protected content.

These companies are free to implement copy-protection, and no development or support is required from Ceton to enable protected content in DVR software which comply with the CableLabs specification. These software developers would have to work with the encryption vendors, support guide data, and pay licensing fees to implement the required encryption and meet the legal requirements surrounding DVR software and CableCARD technology in their products."

What is MP's current status in this regard? Should I go ahead and buy the USB model, or should I wait until I can afford the ETH 6 version? Thanks in advance for any help or ad?

GlamRockCowboy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

To directly answer your question...

What is MP's current status in this regard?
    We're in the same boat as MythTV, Sage TV and XBMC. Copy freely channels should work with either the USB or ETH model, but copy once protected content won't work. If you want to know more/why, please search the forum for "copy once". You'll find plenty of threads with answers like this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hdcp-support.132215/

Should I go ahead and buy the USB model, or should I wait until I can afford the ETH 6 version?
    That's completely up to you. As I said above, both the USB and ETH models should work for copy freely channels only.

Regards,
    mm

G

GlamRockCowboy

After reviewing my cable channel lineup, I realized that I won't be watching any copy once channels to speak of. As a result, I went ahead and bought the USB model on eBay. I should receive it early next week. Then, I'll set about getting a cableCARD from Comcast, and see about getting everything set up. Are there any special software installation issues peculiar to this model I should be aware of?

GlamRockCowboy

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2015
    Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've bought the USB model, and it should arrive tomorrow. Once that happens, I'll order the CableCARD from Comcast.
    I am concerned about installing the CableCARD itself, however, even though I won't be watching any "Copy once" programming that I know of, Ceton's setup software (which I will be running using Windows 7 compatibility settings) seems to require that WMC be present in order to activate and pair the CableCARD with the tuner. (I've attached a copy of their Quick Install Guide as a reference.) Is this correct? If not, how should I proceed? I've read the thread referenced above, and it doesn't appear to cover this particular issue. Please advise--and thanks!

GlamRockCowboy

Attachments

• InfiniTV_4_USB_Quick_Installation_Guide_v4.pdf
      548.2 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I'm pretty sure WMC is not required to activate and pair the CableCARD. In the case that Comcast doesn't send out a technician, I'm pretty sure you should be able to find the required information somewhere in the Ceton Diagnostics tool or device web page (if I recall correctly there's a CableCARD menu in there which would be the first place I'd look).

Regards,
    mm

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2015
    Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've tried every installer on Ceton's website, and NONE of them will run under Windows 10--even when I tried using Windows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility settings! I'm beginning to think I may have to install something like Mythbuntu (in a dual-boot setup), or go to kodi-nextPVR--just to be able to pair and activate the CableCARD (even though I probably won't be watching any "Copy Once" programs! If you folks have any further suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Please understand that I AM grateful for your advice and assistance, but with everything I've tried being blocked at every turn, I'm at my wit's end! :mad:

GlamRockCowboy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've tried every installer on Ceton's website, and NONE of them will run under Windows 10--even when I tried using Windows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility settings!
    I just looked at the InfiniTV USB product page on the Ceton website myself. This statement is in red in the requirements section:
    PC with Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate. Not compatible with Windows 8.

Presumably that means it is not compatible with Windows 10 either.

I'm very sorry. I genuinely was not aware of that limitation. If I was I would have warned you in my first response.

The InfiniTV USB does work with MediaPortal, but based on the info above you would have to use Windows 7.

I'm beginning to think I may have to install something like Mythbuntu (in a dual-boot setup), or go to kodi-nextPVR--just to be able to pair and activate the CableCARD (even though I probably won't be watching any "Copy Once" programs!
    As above. The limitation is not MediaPortal. It is the fact that Ceton do not provide a driver for Windows 8 or newer. In other words, nextPVR won't be able to recognise the tuner either... unless you use it with Windows 7, in which case MediaPortal will also work.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom