Install fails with MYSQL Exception (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am trying to do a fresh install of 1.7.1_hot fix but it fails and aborts durring the install of MYSQL.
    "Start Service Exception" followed by "Failed to install MYSQL 5.6". Subsequent install attempts indicate MYSQL 5.6 is installed (confirmed in control panel) but the TV server test connection always fails, so I doubt it really is working properly. Uninstalling MP and MYSQL/deleting all folders etc with reboot but still the same problem! I have tried one click install and advanced install using non standard folders to no avail.
    The OS, Win 7 x64, is a relatively new reinstall (3 weeks) and I initially installed MP2 (latest version) which worked, including Native Slim TV, OK. Media Center with MyMovies is also installed and is working.
    I have not found any logs for this, but please advise if they should be present and where and I will post.
    Any advice to resolve this would be most welcome.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am still suffering with this problem and am rather disapointed that I have not had any support. Has nobody else seen this or is there no MySQL expertise here? I don't doubt there is something in my setup that is causing the problem but what? Turning off the MS firewall and virus scanner did not help.
    I have looked at using MS SQL Server 2008 as an alternative but do not feel confident doing the special modified install required for MP1.
    I still need help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you running the installer with admin privileges (ie. right click, run as admin)?
    If the MySQL service is failing to start then I'd suggest you check if that is actually what is happening. In other words, once the MP install process fails use task manager to check if mysqld.exe is running.
    In subsequent installs, the fact that MySQL is detected as installed already is good... but it won't help you get MP installed unless the MySQL service is actually running.
    What do the MySQL logs say about why it didn't start?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Many thanks for your response.

Are you running the installer with admin privileges (ie. right click, run as admin)?
    Yes, also running from admin account.
    If the MySQL service is failing to start then I'd suggest you check if that is actually what is happening. In other words, once the MP install process fails use task manager to check if mysqld.exe is running.
    In subsequent installs, the fact that MySQL is detected as installed already is good... but it won't help you get MP installed unless the MySQL service is actually running.
    What do the MySQL logs say about why it didn't start?
    Task Manager does not indicate that msqld.exe is running either following the initial exception or on reinstall. In fact as far as I can tell from Start/search it does not exist! The only thing in Program Files/MySQL/MySQL 5.6 is my.ini. There is a bunch of stuff in Program Data/MySQL but no obvious (to me) errorlog, but lots of unreadable files with *log.* type names.
    Task Manager Services shows MySQL stopped and an attempt to start it results in "The operation could not be completed. Access Denied"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds like MySQL is not installed correctly, and also not uninstaled cleanly. I don't understand how you got into this situation, and not sure how you're going to get out of it either. I would suggest trying to manually install MySQL, but that comes with complexities of its own (user + permissions stuff).

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sounds like MySQL is not installed correctly, and also not uninstaled cleanly. I don't understand how you got into this situation, and not sure how you're going to get out of it either. I would suggest trying to manually install MySQL, but that comes with complexities of its own (user + permissions stuff).
    Aggreed! My gut feel says it was something to do with the MP2 install. Also now when I try to reinstall MP2 I am not able to get the "SlimTV server to connect.
    A manual install of MySQL looks to be out of the question, I am not prepared to provide so much personal detail to obtain an account to enable a download from Oracle! If I Google unistalling MySQL it looks like I have hit the correct buttons, though there is still stuff in the Registry. No idea how to proceed, a windows reinstall is not an option at this point!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A manual install of MySQL looks to be out of the question, I am not prepared to provide so much personal detail to obtain an account to enable a download from Oracle!
    You're missing the small "no thanks, just start the download" at the bottom. ;)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    o_O Missed that, thanks. MySQL installed OK but as you mentioned ealier looks like I need to configure MySQL to match MP. Currently the test connection is not working "Host "Name not allowed to connect to this MySQL Server".
    All hints most welcome

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    "Host "Name not allowed to connect to this MySQL Server".

1. Install MySQL Workbench.

upload_2014-5-28_9-47-35.png

2. Server administration, users and privileges section, server access management tab (you will need to enter root user password which you would have set during install).
    upload_2014-5-28_9-52-22.png

3. Click "add account" at the bottom (or you could just select an existing user to modify).
    Enter any name you like (I choose "mediaportal").
    Standard authentication type.
    Limit connectivity to hosts matching: I usually use "%" for any host, but you can enter a comma separated list of host names or IP addresses if you want restrictive security.
    Enter and confirm password (not necessary if modifying an existing user), then click "apply".

4. Switch to the schema privileges tab.
    Select your chosen user on the left and click "add entry...".
    upload_2014-5-28_9-56-4.png

Here you can set privileges per host. For most people using MySQL for MediaPortal this is unnecessary.
    I select "any host".
    Hopefully the schema options are self explanatory. In this case your MediaPortal schema does not exist yet, so either use "any schema" (not recommended) or enter the schema name you'd like to use in "schemas matching pattern or name". Note that the default MP TV Server schema name is MpTvDb.
    When you're done, click "OK".

5. Back in the schema privileges tab, select your new entry then click "select all" and save.
    upload_2014-5-28_10-1-19.png

6. Repeat step 4 but this time select the "mysql" schema .

7. Repeat step 5 but this time tick only SELECT.

You've now configured MySQL successfully. :)

When you try to open TV Server configuration again you should expect to get the database configuration dialog:
    http://attachments.team-mediaportal.com/2011/01/132425_Mysql.jpg

Enter the IP address of the PC on which you installed MySQL. Ideally this IP address should be static. If it isn't, use the PC's hostname.
    Dependency should be the name of the MySQL service in Windows service managment. Default for MySQL 5.x is MySQL5 (but that may have been changed during install).
    Schema name can be whatever you like, but it must match the name you selected at step 4 above (otherwise just redo step 4 and 5 above).
    User name and password should be the details you entered at step 3 above.

Now click "test"... and hopefully everything goes green. :)
    If it doesn't:
    • MySQL is not running OR
    • firewall is blocking access (TVService.exe and SetupTv.exe need permission to use your network) OR
    • you've made a mistake in MySQL configuration OR
    • you've made a mistake in the info in the DB dialog
    Assuming test worked, save... and now TV Server configuration should start.

Attachments

• upload_2014-5-28_9-48-50.png
      upload_2014-5-28_9-48-50.png
      36.9 KB

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Many thanks for the step by step instructions, they worked like a charm.(y) TV Server is now up and running.:)
    Still think it's strange that the MP1 standard dowload fails on me though :unsure:
    Thanks again for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom