Install fails with MYSQL Exception (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ho mm1352000
    Looks like I spoke too soon! The TV Server does not survive a reboot. Initially says it is not running do I want to start it if yes then a failure. On screen text much the same as in attached log. I have tried a new clean install but no change, i.e. all works initially but fails after reboot. I will try disabling firewall and virus scanner, but please let me know if you see anything in the log.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please provide all log files, especially the TVService.log file.
    All that I can tell from this log file is that it looks like you set the wrong dependency name in the database config.
    What is the MySQL service on your PC called? MySQL5, MySQL56...???

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    TV Service, SetupTV and Install logs are attached. The TVService errorlog is empty.
    From Task Manager/Services I have a MySQL-Stopped and a MySQL56-Running.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, TV service log looks fresh. Did you reinstall and provide the new log files rather than the old log files?
    [edit: To be clear, there is no useful information in the log files you've provided. I need log files that actually show the problem.]

Okay so it is possible you have two versions of MySQL installed. Probably the one that is hooked up to the TV service is MySQL56, so you should have used that as the "dependency" in DB config (which means TV service has to wait for that service to start before it can start).

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm, TV service log looks fresh. Did you reinstall and provide the new log files rather than the old log files?
    [edit: To be clear, there is no useful information in the log files you've provided. I need log files that actually show the problem.]

Okay so it is possible you have two versions of MySQL installed. Probably the one that is hooked up to the TV service is MySQL56, so you should have used that as the "dependency" in DB config (which means TV service has to wait for that service to start before it can start).
    Sorry I was trying a couple of things including a reinstall. Attached are the complete logs from the TVServer following a complete deinstall and delete of the Team Mediaportal folder in Program Data and new fresh install. Please note following the install I scanned one of the TV tuners to prove the TV was working then rebotted the PC at 12:31, on restart arround 12:35 I opened MP and TV did not work, it asked for the server name/IP, At arround 12:40 I tried to start the TVServer Configurator and got the not running message then the error. I then set all MP programs and MySQL5.6 for Public Network access (they already had Home/Work) in the firewall. Tried again arround 12:44 with the Configurator with same result.
    The default dependancy in the DB config was MySQL5, I set it to MySQL56 on this install, test worked OK.
    Is there a way to change the DB config after TVServer is installed?

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've been having the same problem. I did a complete uninstall and then tried 1.5.. it installed mysql OK (5.1) but then failed on the tv-plugin. I noticed that bitdefender was blocking the install, so l have disabled that for the install duration.

1.5 now installed okay (although untested on actual TV service), and then I upgraded to 1.71 and that seems to have worked ok.. I note that it doesn't update the mysql..

so my usual install consists of doing the "download components" option rather than just an install, so I redid that and reinstalled from the ground up (with that version) and it worked perfectly.. go figure...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please note following the install I scanned one of the TV tuners to prove the TV was working then rebotted the PC at 12:31...
    After this I don't see the TV service even attempt to start, which suggests the service is configured with incorrect dependencies (ie. the MySQL service). This is reinforced by the logs:
    The dependency service or group failed to start
    [collapse]
    [2014-05-30 12:40:43,377] [Log ] [SetupTv ] [ERROR] - ServiceHelper: Starting TvService failed. Please check your installation.
    Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service TVService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The dependency service or group failed to start
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()
    at SetupTv.ServiceHelper.Start(String aServiceName)
    [/collapse]

on restart arround 12:35 I opened MP and TV did not work, it asked for the server name/IP. At arround 12:40 I tried to start the TVServer Configurator and got the not running message then the error.
    Yep, both of these are clearly telling you the TV service is not running. The reason the service is not running is explained above.

I then set all MP programs and MySQL5.6 for Public Network access (they already had Home/Work) in the firewall.
    The problem currently has nothing to do with network access.

The default dependancy in the DB config was MySQL5, I set it to MySQL56 on this install, test worked OK.
    Test will work okay because the MySQL service will be running at the time. Reboot is a problem because TVService thinks it needs to wait for some other non-existing service to start before it can start. The result is that the TV service doesn't ever start or even attempt to start.

Please can you check and confirm:
    1. The name of the MySQL service.
    2. The configured dependencies for TVService.
    Both of these can be checked in the Windows service control manager (services.msc).

mm

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi again
    services.msc showed 2xMySQL services, the first named MySQL and a second named MySQL56. The TVService dependacies were MySQL56 and Network Connections. As mentioned earlier the MySQL service always seemed to be stopped. I did notice something strange though the "Path to the executable" for the MySQL56 included "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\bin\mysqld". I had my suspicions about the Easy-WebPrint program and had uninstalled it at an earlier stage in the troubleshooting, (it was part of a bundle that came with my printer), but its folder and its contents remained. I therefore decided to do a complete clean up, namely uninstall MP and SQL delete Easy-Web Print/MP and SQL folders. Folowing this the MySQL56 service had disappeared but the MySQL service remained so I deleted it via command prompt "sc delete MySQL", I had done this before but it had always reappeared. Next I reinstalled MySQL56 and set up an account and DB for the TVService then Reinstalled MP1.

The MySQL service did not reappear, just MySQL56 and TVServer is working and now survives a reboot.

Strangely the Easy-Web Print folder with contents, has been regenerated and the path for the MySQL service is as follows:- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\bin\mysqld" --defaults-file="C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\my.ini" MySQL56, but is is all now working OK, any idea how or if I should correct this?. I have not yet tried a standard install to see if the MySQL Start Exception error is now gone but regardless I have your solution to manually instal MySQL.
    Thanks for all your help, hopefully I can now get on and setup MP.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I did notice something strange though the "Path to the executable" for the MySQL56 included "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\bin\mysqld".
    Bizarre! :confused:
    You're not alone though:
    http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?169,576525,576525

Maybe an issue with the MySQL installer and/or the selected install options. That is probably why the folder reappeared after reinstalling it.
    I've never seen this happen when TV Server installs MySQL so perhaps the key to the solution was to get rid of the other MySQL service.

djr

July 30, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MySQL install fails with "Start service exception - Failed to install application MySQL5.6" on my Desktop computer but installs OK on my Laptop and my Media Server computer. My Desktop and Media Server are virtually identical Windows7 Professional 64bit machines.
    Any ideas?

I had exactly same as JoeCrowe - an old installation of Canon Easy-WebPrint-EX that I uninstalled ages ago. I removed all the directories etc and MySQL still failed with "start service exception" and Easy-WebPrint popped back again! I eventually went into RegEdit and deleted every entry containing C:\program files (x86)\canon\easy-webprint-ex. THIS HAS FIXED IT!
    Now have MediaPortal working perfectly.
    The MySQR installer must have seen the mysqr bits in the canon easy-webprint entry as an existing mysqr (a 32 bit version) and wouldn't install the 64bit version.
    Regards to all especially JoeCrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom