Install TV Server without media sources S: drive (1 Viewer)

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
How do you want to use the TVServer without the client? It has no own frontend and is utterly useless then.

You can as well run the MP1 setup and intall just the TVServer. Again pretty much useless withot a client attached to it.

I think that many people (like me) approached to MediaPortal because is one of the few (and the of the best) Tv SERVERS. The client part (MP1,MP2,Kodi) can be easily replaced according to everyone's liking. Nowadays looking at Tv is a matter of using tablets, smartphones, SmartTVs. A modern software has to feed all the appliances connected to the lan's house. I think (is my personal opinion) that the server part is much more important and difficult to program than the client. Thinking today that using MP server alone is useless means that your approach MP(2) is related exclusively to the PC world. I think that this is not true. Many people use Kodi because Kodi is on a PC, (Windows and linux), Android, and AndroidTv (that many smartTvs have as an operating system). So Kodi means possibility to use MP TVServer quite everywhere. Some users (or many? I don't know) like me need a modern tvserver, that can interface to all the appliances in the house. That's why i'm eagerly waiting for the UPNP/DLNA that's in the works. This is accordingly to my specific needs and interests, everyone here may have a different point of view.
Bye,
sdf

slikvik

Portal Pro
May 8, 2006
How do you want to use the TVServer without the client? It has no own frontend and is utterly useless then.

You can as well run the MP1 setup and intall just the TVServer. Again pretty much useless withot a client attached to it.

I think that many people (like me) approached to MediaPortal because is one of the few (and the of the best) Tv SERVERS. The client part (MP1,MP2,Kodi) can be easily replaced according to everyone's liking. Nowadays looking at Tv is a matter of using tablets, smartphones, SmartTVs. A modern software has to feed all the appliances connected to the lan's house. I think (is my personal opinion) that the server part is much more important and difficult to program than the client. Thinking today that using MP server alone is useless means that your approach MP(2) is related exclusively to the PC world. I think that this is not true. Many people use Kodi because Kodi is on a PC, (Windows and linux), Android, and AndroidTv (that many smartTvs have as an operating system). So Kodi means possibility to use MP TVServer quite everywhere. Some users (or many? I don't know) like me need a modern tvserver, that can interface to all the appliances in the house. That's why i'm eagerly waiting for the UPNP/DLNA that's in the works. This is accordingly to my specific needs and interests, everyone here may have a different point of view.
Bye,
sdf

Have to say, I agree. Building a rock solid server app that can interface with many different clients is the way to go IMO. It's the one thing that clients like Kodi don't have (and likely never will) so products like Emby are coming in to fill that gap. Emby does all scraping, media management and DLNA etc, and provides an addon to Kodi that swaps it's local database for a serverside one so that all clients are in sync.

At the moment though, even Emby relies on a 3rd party TV server like MP! It seems to me that MP has a good headstart on almost everyone when it comes to the more complex TV side of things and it would only be a small leap for it to be the leading media/scraper/TV server backend that supported many clients (including MP client).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom