Installation guide and EPG (1 Viewer)

AlexinPerth

December 20, 2005
Perth, Australia
Hi,

I've been using MP for a month or so now, and today I've been installing RC2 so I can get the EPG working for Perth, Australia.

I've been reading the installation manual, and going through the setup program, as well as using the setup wizard inside the main application.

Using the setup wizard, my TV channels are pulled in ok, and I chose which channels I wanted, and assigned them to EPG names. When I hit "next", nothing happened. I mean nothing. I could hit back, and escape etc, but the next button did nothing.

OK, so I read the manual again, and there is nothing in there to actually guide you through the installation process at all.

Finally, I found a readme file in the xmltv subdirectory, which tells me I need to download the xmltv software, and place it in this directory.

So I'm doing that now, and hopefully this will work (I can get it to download EPG data, so I'm pretty sure I'm almost there).

Do you guys want help to update the installation guide so it actually guides a user through the installation process? I'm happy to spend some time in this area, since I believe that it needs work.

Cheers,
Alex.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think downloading XMLTV will help you, because XMLTV.exe cannot download Australia EPG data.

How are you getting your EPG data? Also, can you give the title of the screen you're on before it 'does nothing when you press next'? Also, can you post the log here - located mediaportal\log\mediaportal.log.

Sam

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i was getting the same error...but a little while ago

try installing 0.2 RC2 if u havnt already ...and if u havnt...remember to uninstall 0.2 RC1 *AND* delete your /mediaportal/ folder ..then install 0.2 RC2

there may be left over files getting in the way

Australian EPG can be easily setup with the "Setup Wizard" ..located in "Settings" ..inside MP (not the config app)

AlexinPerth

December 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I did get it almost working with xmltv - it does seem to support Australian data now. I basically manually downloaded the tv guide data into an xml file, and the associations between actual channels and tv guide channels wasn't quite right. :(

However, I've since blown it all away and reinstalled, it's still doing the same thing. and this is what comes up in the log. I've snipped it from the point where I hit "next" at the end of the channel scan.

Basically it looks like there is a null pointer error somewhere when I hit "Next" from the "TV Setup - EPG" screen - the one directly after the scanning for channels screen.

This would all be a little less frustrating if I wasn't forced to rescan the channels every time I go through the setup wizard.

FYI. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on an ASUS A8N-VM-CSM with 512MB RAM, Athlon 64 3000+, 250GB WD SATA HDD, .NET frameworks 1.1 and 2.0, IMON 4.10.1206, DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T.

24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM dvbt-scan:pressed next
    24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM ScanNextCardType:cards:1
    24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM window:WindowPlugins.GUISettings.Wizard.DVBT.GUIWizardDVBTScan deinit
    24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM texturemanager:CleanupThumbs()
    24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM Total Memory allocated:5.00 MB
    24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM Recorder:disable dx9 exclusive mode
    24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM goto windowed:True
    24/12/2005 1:19:58 PM window:WindowPlugins.GUISettings.Epg.GUIWizardEpgSelect init
    24/12/2005 1:20:13 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:20:30 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:20:35 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:20:46 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:20:50 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:21:02 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:21:10 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:21:17 PM window:MediaPortal.Dialogs.GUIDialogMenu init
    24/12/2005 1:21:33 PM OnMessage exception:confused:ystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at WindowPlugins.GUISettings.Epg.GUIWizardEpgSelect.MapChannels()
    at WindowPlugins.GUISettings.Epg.GUIWizardEpgSelect.OnClicked(Int32 controlId, GUIControl control, ActionType actionType)
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)
    24/12/2005 1:21:37 PM OnMessage exception:confused:ystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at WindowPlugins.GUISettings.Epg.GUIWizardEpgSelect.OnClicked(Int32 controlId, GUIControl control, ActionType actionType)
    24/12/2005 1:21:38 PM OnMessage exception:confused:ystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    24/12/2005 1:21:48 PM Mediaportal.OnExit()

Thanks for your prompt replies, and please understand that I'm actually really happy with the software, I just want to get it set up perfectly. And I am happy to help out where I can. :)

Cheers,
    Alex.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ohh

i see the problem now...the perth settings are not in the yahoo grabber ..will fix that today...will be in cvs tonight

otherwise add the following lines to 5-au_tv_yahoo_com.xml after the last "<entry .... " line and before the </section> line

<entry name="abc-wa@abc.net.au">249832</entry>
    <entry name="abc2@abc.net.au">283793</entry>
    <entry name="7-wa-metro@seven.com.au">86178</entry>
    <entry name="9-wa-metro@ninemsn.com.au">96115</entry>
    <entry name="10-wa-metro@ten.com.au">16173</entry>
    <entry name="sbs-wa@sbs.com.au">259107</entry>
    <entry name="sbs2@sbs.com.au">272787</entry>

then run the setup wizard again :)

AlexinPerth

December 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for that, works a treat. Maybe an error message would have been handy?
    :)

Anyway, I've got them all configured now, just need to convince it to actually download the data.

Merry Xmas!

Alex.

GlobalFusion

Portal Member
    December 11, 2005
    How about Sydney, Australia?

I get to the "TV Setup - EPG" screen, and it asks me to map the scanned channels to the EPG - which is impossible because the EPG seems to only show me cable channels (which I dont have) and not FTA. so.. therefore cant map anything.

Does the EPG in MP even work for FTA in Sydney?

edit:
    I click on "Manual XMLTV" button, and it does Sweet FA. Zilch. Zero. Nothing. Nada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom