Installation Issues Clean OS and Brand New MP Install (1 Viewer)

Gary_Francis

Portal Member
March 28, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
Clean Windoze 10 Installation. SSD boot drive now in place, 8 gigs of memory, brand new Hauppauge WinTV-Quad (Model 1661xx-1, Dual DVB-T/T2/C IR) card installed.

Hopefully the "clean of the clean" basis into which to install MP.

But I am experiencing major failures of MP itself then the TV server also. I am sure it is a Windows 10 switch or consideration rather than a problem with MP itself, as I have installed 1.20.0 failed. Went back to 1.18.0 also failed.

What I am seeing:
For MP Itself. During the install I get a pop up citing "Invalid file Handle 32", with an "OK" button to click on. Once "clicked" the install for MP completes and returns a successful install for MP. Then the TV server install parts fires up.

A large Pop appears, citing:

"Failed to startup tvservicesystem.nullreferenceexception: object reference not set to an instance of an object

Server stack trace
at Tvservice.tvController. Get_Cards() at
System.runtime.remoting.messaging.stackbuldersink._privateProcessmessagePtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)

Etc. etc.

What is this? Some sort of Database rights issue somewhere?

Would love to get this resolved. My entire reason for about $1000 in spend was to get MP to fly.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But I am experiencing major failures of MP itself then the TV server also.
    Yesterday I did a first-time install of MP 1.20 onto a fresh install of Windows 7, and it all proceeded without problem (including downloading and installing all of the dependencies). I would agree with you that your problem looks like a problem specific to Windows 10, but as I have never used MP on Windows 10 I regret that I cannot offer any advice that might be of use (I prefer to live at the trailing edge of technology, and not the bleeding leading edge).

If there were any log files produced, you should upload them to this thread, so that people who are familiar with running MP on Windows 10 can take a look and possibly spot the problem.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I am seeing:
    For MP Itself. During the install I get a pop up citing "Invalid file Handle 32", with an "OK" button to click on. Once "clicked" the install for MP completes and returns a successful install for MP.
    Following a recent unsuccessful attempt to test Kodi (boy is it messy and complicated) I did a full uninstall of MP on my desktop Win 10 x64 PC and on re-installing MP 1.20 I also saw this "Invalid file Handle 32" error and like you hit OK and the install completed successfully. I have had no further problems and TV works fine. I also have Mp 1.20 on my Win 10 x 64 HTPC but never saw this error (last clean install was 1.16 and thereafter progressive upgrade installs to 1.20).
    MP 1.20 should work fine on Win 10 and as @CyberSimian suggested upload your logs if available.

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    For the Invalid File Handle 32 message:
    The "Invalid file handle 32" can be ignored for now :) (it can happen sometimes and related to try to copy the same font and failed)

For the get_Cards() error, there's an entry in the wiki:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/wiki/display/MediaPortal1/TV+Server+Configuration+Fails+To+Start+-+get_Cards()+error

If you choose to update the database, a step-by-step guide is available in post 20 of this thread:
    Media Portal has suddenly gone FUBAR

Gary_Francis

Portal Member
    March 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yesterday I did a first-time install of MP 1.20 onto a fresh install of Windows 7, and it all proceeded without problem (including downloading and installing all of the dependencies). I would agree with you that your problem looks like a problem specific to Windows 10, but as I have never used MP on Windows 10 I regret that I cannot offer any advice that might be of use (I prefer to live at the trailing edge of technology, and not the bleeding leading edge).

If there were any log files produced, you should upload them to this thread, so that people who are familiar with running MP on Windows 10 can take a look and possibly spot the problem.

Sorry how do I turn "logs" On for the install process?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Sorry how do I turn "logs" On for the install process?
    I am not sure that the install process produces logs (I am not an expert!), but if they do exist, they will probably reside in sub-folders in "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\". There is one log folder for "MediaPortal", and another one for "TV Server".

The error that @Jasmeet_181 referenced relates to IP addresses. You should be using static IP addresses for the systems that are going to use MP (clients and server). In your situation, I think that I would:

(1) Restore the image of the Windows drive that I created before trying to install MP for the first time.
    (2) Change the IP address to be static.
    (3) Open a command window with "Run as administrator".
    (4) Install MP with the internet connected.

You could try to uninstall and cleanup your existing MP and SQL installations, but I am personally not convinced that that undoes everything that was done during the install. Maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't, but I wouldn't spend my time trying to accomplish that (just my view). If you did not create an image of the Windows drive before installing MP for the first time, you would need to re-install Windows in order to start from a clean "reference" state.

Gary_Francis

Portal Member
    March 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Folks, Thanks for the help I sat down over the weekend and tried a few things with the result that I now have a MP up and working. EPG issues still. Extension manager wasn't working well either so I manually downloaded the MPEI files and installed them with the Extension Manager. Also Moving pictures does seem to like SSD C Drives. It hangs sometimes when updating a few files at a time. Working around that also.

But thanks for the links and suggestions of things to try. Without which I would not gotten so far already!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom