[fixed] Installer might not detect x86 versions for VCRedists on x64 systems (1 Viewer)

LPN

Portal Member
January 4, 2016
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I had the same issue on Windows 7 64 bit. After checking the requirements with this link http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/1_Getting_Started/2_Installing_MediaPortal_2 I saw that VC++ 2013 x86 redistributable was missing. According to the link "Builds newer than the Summer'15 Edition are based on a new installer which automatically downloads and installs all requirements". I installed MediaPortal 2 Summer '15 Update 1 but it did not install VC++ 2013 x86. I did a test on a VM and it seems that if VC++ 2013 x64 is already installed it will not install the x86 version automatically. After manually installing the x86 version scanning of channels was working and the errors were gone.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    According to the link "Builds newer than the Summer'15 Edition are based on a new installer which automatically downloads and installs all requirements". I installed MediaPortal 2 Summer '15 Update 1 but it did not install VC++ 2013 x86. I did a test on a VM and it seems that if VC++ 2013 x64 is already installed it will not install the x86 version automatically.
    Interesting...

Can you reproduce this and run the installer using the included batch file to create detailed installation logs? I would need them to check the results of dependency checks.

LPN

Portal Member
    January 4, 2016
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    That was quick! Here are the logs.

For your information, this was tested on a Hyper-V VM, fresh Win7 SP1 installation, no updates, only installed VC++ 2013 x64 redistributable before executing the installer. At the end the VC++ 2013 x86 redistributable was not installed. Doing the same thing without VC++ 2013 x64 installed does install the x86 redistributable.

I did not install the components in the second part of the setup and I only uploaded the MP2-Setup file. Let me know if you need other log files.

Attachments

• MP2-Setup.zip
      2.8 KB

LPN

Portal Member
    January 4, 2016
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I'm sorry, I made a mistake, your version solves the issue. I also tested VC++ 2010, it also had the issue and your version solved the issue.

I deleted the erroneous post.

Thank you for your quick resolution of this issue.

By the way, it would be nice if the scanner would display an error message instead of "no signal" when there is an error accessing the device. At first I thought it was my card that had an issue with MP2.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Developers and @Testers can someone please confirm that this installer from http://tinyurl.com/zbmsncj
    still works correctly on 32bit OS? I don't have testing environment here for this.

The change in bootstrapper affects the SystemFolder -> SystemFolder64:
    Variable="MFC100_Version_x86" Path="[SystemFolder64]mfc100.dll"

Variable="MFC120_Version_x86" Path="[SystemFolder64]mfc120.dll"

which points to SystemWOW64 on 64bit systems (we need to detect the 32 bit VC redists).

Obviously the default behavior also includes the System32 (64 bit) folder into filesearch, which gives a wrong information if 32 bit is missing.

Last edited:

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    still works correctly on 32bit OS?
    It's hard to find someone with a 32-bit OS on a real hardware ;) Can the installer run in a VM? Last time (long time ago) I tried to run MP2 in a VM it failed because DirectX wasn't installed and I couldn't install it, because there was no real GPU (just the standard VGA driver).

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After posting this I remembered my tablet is 32bit. The installer ran fine, so I think the change is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom