Installer misdetects XP Pro x64, and crashes at end. (1 Viewer)

promille

January 15, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
I don't think I have the skills to contribute very much in making MP running on XP x64, but I would really like to try!

Here and there I see people asking why anyone wish to run XP x64 on at HTPC, but when I first have built myself a HTPC with 4GB RAM it feels OK having the possibility to use them all! And when it comes to XP vs. Vista, I feel XP is the best alternative (consuming less resources).

So far Windows XP x64 have caused me strange network problems (no 32bit applications seems to have network access, while Internet Explorer 64bit had). Never figured out what was wrong, but a fresh install fixed it. Had to be a little "clever" to install Windows Live Messenger 9, but the Hauppauge DVB-S2 card installed nicely. The WinTV application from Hauppauge workes fine when it comes to uncoded SD channels (haven't found any uncoded HD channels to test).

At this moment the MP installation is preventing me from testing MP. Despite MP's lack of support for XP x64, I would like to give it a try since I have XP x64 up and running with drivers to all my hardware. I also have the impression that several people are running MP sucessfull on Server 2003 (and also XP x64?), so I think it is a fair chance to get it working :)

Don't know what to expect from writing this, but if anyone have a trick to force the installer on XP x64, please tell me! :) It would ofcourse also be very appreciated if anyone (with time) manages to make MP fully support XP x64!

The hardware I am using on my HTPC is as follows:
* ASUS MB M3N78 PRO AMD AM2+ AM2 DDR2 1066 800 667 533 NVIGEFORCE 8300
* AMD ATHLON64 DUAL-CORE 4850E (2.5GHZ) SOCKET AM2 L2=512KBX2 CPU RETAIL BOX (chosen mainly for it's low power consumption)
* KINGSTON DDR2 HyperX PC8500 4096MB CL5, Kit 2x matched HyperX 2GB DDR2
* SAMSUNG F1 1TB 3.5" SATA2 7200RPM 32MB
* HAUPPAUGE WinTV-NOVA-HD - Satellite S2 receiver HD ready

* HAUPPAUGE WinTV-NOVA-TD-HD USB DVB-T Mpeg4 (planning to connect this one, but have the impression that Hauppauge supllies x64-drivers)

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    All mediaportal stuff in the house runs on x86, but I'd like to install in x64 because I could watch TV by running a client on one of the monitors.

Besides drivers , 99,9% of applications/games that run on x86 runs fine on x64, so it should not be a problem at all, most likely,it's only the installer that needs fixing.

PCPete

September 9, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    More to it than a broken installer...

Well, prompted by this recent interest by other users (promille and Al_Capone) who want to do what I'm doing (run MP on a current commercial Windows operating system), and the apparent lack of interest in any x64 OS by developers, I've tried running the installer in a virtual machine, then copied the installer structure to the x64 system, where...

... the internal installer starts to run, then when I select either "Download components only" or "Install Now", after selecting the language, the MediaPortal.DeployTool.exe also fails with the error "Sorry, but your OS is not supported."

Snookered!

So I installed the app on the virtual machine, then tried copying the app folders and setting as many registry entries as I can, and...

... it won't start, saying I don't have the necessary .net and c++ libraries installed (I do).

Snookered again!

So, since there's an almost complete lack of focus on getting MP just installable on the x64 OS, and since there are plenty of other (less feature-packed and, let's face it, uglier :p) apps out there, I'm giving up on MP.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up if I thought the app would run natively, but with so many of the features and prettiness rely on lipstick-on-the-pig dotNet and C++ runtimes (neither environment I have any interest in developing for whatsoever for any reason, and little enough skills), and DirectX, (all of which are installed and configured and running perfectly on this system) so unless a developer is interested in getting MP running on the XP x64 OS (bzzzt! No takers so far!), I'll wait until someone else makes a different app that does work on this OS.:sorry:

Maybe 2009 will be the year of the 64-bit OS. I note with interest that most box-mover retailers (Myers, Grace Bros, Hardly Normal, Dick Smith, amongst others) now offer at least one option for x64 machines, using (so far only) Vista x64. But maybe with more commercial pressure as more users find the benefits of the x64 OS architecture beats the drawbacks hands-down (with the obvious exception of tools like MP), there might be some more interest on the part of developers to stop playing with the UI and TV cards and get the basics working on x64 so we can help get the word out and test and help get MP working properly.

Fingers crossed!

N.B. As always, I'm more than happy to try out snapshots or trial installers and so on, but so far (since September 2008, to be exact) the silence has been... well... deafening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom