Integration of MPC-HC subtitle's engine (1 Viewer)

Dannydeman

Portal Pro
May 5, 2008
Since MPC-HC itself doesn't have any problems at all, I don't think hardware is the cause. If you use it as external player, it's also fine (and that is with Mediaportal in the background, which uses memory). I don't think the internal player takes up a lot of resources which causes the hardware to be over it's max.

And remember that without the subtitle patch everything is perfect in the internal player. Can't imagine the subs takes up lots of resources.

Also, with the original subtitle filter i.c.m. with software-CoreAVC it doesn't stutter as well like it does now, and with this subtitle patch it does.

Here is a list of facts:

1: It doesn't matter if a file is 720P or 1080P
2: Without subtitles enabled everything works perfectly fine
3: when the subtitles are enabled, everything is fine but 1-2 seconds before the first line it stutters, and will continue to do when subtitles are about to be displayed.
4: It doesn;t matter what ATI driver I use (8.12,8.46,9.1,9.2,9.3,9.4)
5: In MPC-HC (same codecs) everything is fine with DXVA and subtitles
6: It seems to happen on the exact same moments as before, so it's not random, and basicly at the same places when you play the movie.
7: It doesn;t matter if we use EVR, VMR9, hardware decoding, software decoding. It will happen

I'm almost positive it's about prebuffering, since I notice it before it shows a subtitle. If we could disable it, yes, the cpu will be 2-5% more, but I think it'll fix the problem.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Here is a list of facts:

3: when the subtitles are enabled, everything is fine but 1-2 seconds before the first line it stutters, and will continue to do when subtitles are about to be displayed.
    6: It seems to happen on the exact same moments as before, so it's not random, and basicly at the same places when you play the movie.
    7: It doesn;t matter if we use EVR, VMR9, hardware decoding, software decoding. It will happen

confirm points 2,3,4,5 and 6. and 7...
    for point 1 I've not test 1080p. I use 9.4 driver.

Koenig

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    But still it is only people with ATI-cards, serie 3xxx, who have reported this problem.

I am using an Nvidia-card and only software (FFdshow) decoding and I cannot se any stuttering.

I'm using this patch because I did'nt like the sub alignment with FFdshow, when talking about beeing fastidious I mean...

Dannydeman

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2008
    Yeah it's weird this is the only card that has this. But since it works in MPC-HC itself without any problem at all (which is the same subtitle engine), it isn't supposed to give problems. So it really has something to do with this integration, there must be a significant(or small) difference with the original patch in MPC-HC. Lots of people have a Radeon 3XXX (espacially people like me who uses a laptop as HTPC).

Also, why I really need this patch is, because it is the only way for me to have full subtitle support with DXVA. DXVA is kinda like a must. CoreAVC works fine, but it seems that DXVA is just nicer and smoother. Also, the mediaportal subtitle engine (no offence) kinda sucks, since you need to merge subs in a MKV file (or it won't work). It will also break DXVA.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    imho the new engine is used by few people in this testing release.
    When become official 1.02 the issue will be enhanced I guess. I'll beat if that issue be
    related to a single set of graphics cards.

Dannydeman

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2008
    If they want to make it into the 1.0.2 release, this should be fixed indeed. I hope they can :) I'm still confident that, if they add pre-buffering in the config, this will be resolved.
    btw, what skin are you using? I use StreamedMP (latest version)

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Here is a list of facts:

I think my problem is different and has something to do with vsync. I have the problem whether or not I activate subtitles. The problem (stutter) is from the very beginning of the movie but If I use reclock and activate vsync correction the problem is not there at the beginning but after 5 minutes of playing it happens again.

I will try to make further tests to be more precise and isolate the problem and will post logs. If I uninstall the patch I have NO problem at all for the whole duration of the movie (whether I activate DXVA or not).

Roby

btw, what skin are you using? I use StreamedMP (latest version)

I also use streamedMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom