Integration of MPC-HC subtitle's engine (1 Viewer)

cpp2005

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2006
    What thread the code is using to render the cached subtitle textures? Maybe that is done in the same thread as the GUI / video rendering (MP main thread) and that is too much on some systems.

The textures are created in different thread, while rendering itself is in video rendering thread.
    Currently texture size is set to desktop resolution, may be this is the problem. I'm working on advanced options where texture size can be set.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    What thread the code is using to render the cached subtitle textures? Maybe that is done in the same thread as the GUI / video rendering (MP main thread) and that is too much on some systems.

The textures are created in different thread, while rendering itself is in video rendering thread.
    Currently texture size is set to desktop resolution, may be this is the problem. I'm working on advanced options where texture size can be set.

Please note these couple of tests:

1) no difference between external srt subtitles and mkv embedded ones. for that if a sub track is defined as default into and mkv container one imho subtitles have to activated also if autoload check is disabled.

2) the size of subtitle is not related to stuttering. the issue is present for 18 and 8 font pitch. also is not related to font type.

I say again. the stuttering (a frame stop and the play restart) occur when the subtitle disapper not when appear.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Good news: my problems seems to be solved with catalyst 9.4 and mp 1.0.1 (with updated patch applied) and I do not seems to suffer from the stutter when subtitles are activated. So I'm really happy with this patch now!!

One thing: I HAVE to use reclock under windows XP and vmr9 to solve stutter problems (whether or not I use this patch).

Dannydeman

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2008
    My problem is kinda the same as red5. But to me it seems to happen when the subtitles are about to appear (hard to tell, since subtitles are displayed all the time) I's like he describes, the screen hangs for a few frames, and then goes back to normal. Audio is not affected, and everything stays in sync. Kinda like frameskipping.

Tuesday will be the day I upgrade to Windows 7, so we'll see what happens :)

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Good news: my problems seems to be solved with catalyst 9.4 and mp 1.0.1 (with updated patch applied) and I do not seems to suffer from the stutter when subtitles are activated. So I'm really happy with this patch now!!
    One thing: I HAVE to use reclock under windows XP and vmr9 to solve stutter problems (whether or not I use this patch).

This is normal. Reclock synchronize the play to real monitor refresh rate every moment.
    Reclock exist because that. I use Reclock too for full smooth play. unfortunately there is this weird behaviour related to subtitling.

tourettes:
    but why is not possiible to use vmr9 under Vista with Media Portal. Seem work fine but it crash the skin graphics
    when return to skin after playing a file.

Dannydeman

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2008
    I tried Reclock (just for fun) but it doesn't look that different then EVR+Aero?
    It requiers lots of setup it seems. I couldn't get any digital sound with SPDIF (like DTS) and I had some issues in movies where I noticed speed fluctuations.
    But I think EVR+Aero+Vsync+DXVA+Reclock isn't a good idea to begin with :)

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    This is normal. Reclock synchronize the play to real monitor refresh rate every moment.
    Reclock exist because that. I use Reclock too for full smooth play. unfortunately there is this weird behaviour related to subtitling.

But do you think the problem you have with subtitles is due to the use of reclock? I don't think so...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    tourettes:
    but why is not possiible to use vmr9 under Vista with Media Portal. Seem work fine but it crash the skin graphics
    when return to skin after playing a file.

EVR is more advanced video render than VMR9 is. Also we have such small developer team that we cannot support both fully so VMR9 is the first one to suffer. You need to remember that on Vista Directx9 EX is used and VMR9 cannot be handled on the exact same way as the EVR.

But basicly VMR9 should be worser or at most the same on quality wise when it comes to EVR (stuttering, color conversion, scaling...). mSo there is no really any good reason to use VMR9 under Vista.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried Reclock (just for fun) but it doesn't look that different then EVR+Aero?
    It requiers lots of setup it seems. I couldn't get any digital sound with SPDIF (like DTS) and I had some issues in movies where I noticed speed fluctuations.
    But I think EVR+Aero+Vsync+DXVA+Reclock isn't a good idea to begin with :)

You should read and even more important UNDERSTAND the readme that comes with Reclock before trying anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom