Intel dc3217iye as MePo Client (1 Viewer)

DJBlu

Portal Pro
August 14, 2007
Llanelli
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Kit arrived today.

V.Impressed.

Plays everything without issue. Going to test it over the network this weekend.

Near silent. Only hear the fan if you are right next to it and cpu is over 80% usage.

Very responsive, quick boot and extremely small.

A little expensive but will see me through the next few years.

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    @DJBlu you know when you say everything.. does that mean it plays the Live 1080i TV streams and does timeshifting etc ok as well as just 1080p video files. Is it powerful enough to run all this with simply LAV filters? I've just gone through a load of pain with out of sync Sky HD with a too weak graphics card and I'm scared to splash down on one without some others confirmations :)

Also do you run plugins like TVseries and MovingPictures on this Intel box?

I'm after a client to attach to my main setup which is using your data grabber mod and this looks like it could be a winner :)

Thanks!

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Got mine a few days ago and is as impressed with it as @DJBlu, fast startup/resume and it's just wonderful :)

Best HD TV i get is 720p and that plays excellent, 1080p movies and all that just perfect, I only use LAV filters.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hey thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully someone can confirm the 1080i TV and I can jump in :)

BTW what storage did you add to yours? mSATA? which one? :)

Last edited:

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    @TheBatfink 1080i is fine no frame drops at all, BBC HD and all the Sky HD channels working fine. I have set up UNC folders and am playing the media over a gigabit network.

I can upload a video to show you if you wish.

One issue I am having however is the small screen on resume if I don't switch on the TV first.

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Sooo tempted by one of these. The whole tiny PC was the whole reason I started off down the HTPC route (one very early machine was an EPIA MII mini-ITX setup).

For anyone worried about noise I see there are a few potential options
    http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc/
    http://missingremote.com/news/2013-01-24/silverstone-prototype-nuc-chassis-revealed

but these massively add to the price (the difference between the version with and without case are basically nothing). On Scan the difference is £15 and I not sure that the motherboard only option comes with a PSU.

Still got to be worth having one to play with anyway :)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If mine ever start to make noise I know what to get :)
    Right now I cant hear mine if I mute TV, not even if I'm listening for it :)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    As for CIR, I have one in my current bedroom HTPC (i3 2100T / Intel H67CFB3 mini-ITX mobo) and this works amazingly. I had to order a receiver from the US and it is tiny but functions straight out the box and works great.
    When reading up on it you can build your own CIR receiver fairly easily (you still need a CIR header on your mobo) but it would appear that a full setup one allows learning from other remotes, turn on from S5 (fully off) and a few other nice features. This should be a killer feature but Intel seems to have not made much of it and now they announced they will not be building mobos any more I guess CIR is dead :(
    Either way this is a major let down from this box as with an inbuilt IR it would definitely be the perfect client machine

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

I don't think you should worry about noise, they are super quiet stock[DOUBLEPOST=1362946921][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Either way this is a major let down from this box as with an inbuilt IR it would definitely be the perfect client machine

I see this box hidden away behind the TV making a USB IR receiver a good choice, as if there was an internal one, it wouldn't work in this situation. I am suprirsed they didn't add USB 3.0, given that chipset supports it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom