Interesting article for power efficient HTPCs (1 Viewer)

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
April 22, 2006
Tirol
Home Country
Austria Austria
Every Watt Counts: AMD E-350 vs. Intel Core i3-2100T - X-bit labs

Inspired by this article I exchanged my old Core2Duo setup with a Intel Core i3-2100T and cut down the power consumption by half :)
The system is more than capable to run MediaPortal. The Core i3-2100T is faster than every Core2Duo processor and its energy efficiency is comparable to an ION/Atom system.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have one in the spare room ready for building this weekend.

The standard i3 (65w) processors are actually a lot cheaper and power consumption is almost identical to the 2100t. (The 35w / 65w is thermal design power rather than power usage)

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Good article, very interesting indeed. I was thinking about the step up to AMD 350 to supersede my older ION platforms but on the evidence of this I'll definitely hang on.

Jameson, I look forward to hearing about the fruits of your weekend's labour! Most specifically I'd like to know if it can run full 1080 HD TV streams, which is where ION simply doesn't cut the mustard.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Every Watt Counts: AMD E-350 vs. Intel Core i3-2100T - X-bit labs

Inspired by this article I exchanged my old Core2Duo setup with a Intel Core i3-2100T and cut down the power consumption by half :)
    The system is more than capable to run MediaPortal. The Core i3-2100T is faster than every Core2Duo processor and its energy efficiency is comparable to an ION/Atom system.
    Hm, but is the i3-2100T ("HD Graphics 1000") capable of deinterlacing 1080i content with more than just Bob?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Hm, but is the i3-2100T ("HD Graphics 1000") capable of deinterlacing 1080i content with more than just Bob?

I am slightly confused as to what GPU is on there but it is probably Intel marketing anyway and there is no difference.

Review Intel Core i3-2100T and DH67CF Mini-ITX Motherboard | Missing Remote
    suggests it is actually the HD 2000. Others just call it HD Graphics, others the HD 1000.

The HD 2000 is certainly meant to be up to advanced de-interlacing of 1080i streams (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/a/...hjczRmaXEwVUU2V0o0MWtuMXc&output=html&ndplr=1) but going to do some more testing (I actually am waiting for a PSU to come into stock before I can actually build the thing)

actually doing some digging (Intel® Core) says it is the HD 2000. There is a slight difference in base clock speed of the GPU between the 2100T and 2100 but is meant to be pretty close.

So I believe the answer to be that it does do proper hardware de-interlacing even on 1080i streams but I have read quite a few reviews that the de-interlacing is not as good as other dedicated cards

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Cool, it would be nice if you could test 1080i deinterlacing. Regardless of the quality, if the i3 is able to do advanced deinterlacing of 1080i, it would certainly have an edge over the E-350, since the 6310 is not capable of it, according to the table you linked.

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    Tirol
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I use a Core i3-2100T since May for my HTPC - works fine. I do use the CoreAVC codec (Acceleration - none) and it works fine with 1080i material.
    Power consumption halved now compared to my old Core2Duo E6600.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I use a Core i3-2100T since May for my HTPC - works fine. I do use the CoreAVC codec (Acceleration - none) and it works fine with 1080i material.
    Power consumption halved now compared to my old Core2Duo E6600.
    CoreAVC is not capable of doing advanced deinterlacing though without hardware acceleration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom