Interesting article for power efficient HTPCs (1 Viewer)

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well you said "Acceleration - none" in your previous post ;).

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    Tirol
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    To clear all doubts - here's the config that does playback 1080i fine with decent deinterlacing:

Attachments

• config.JPG
      config.JPG
      58.6 KB

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Interesting article for power efficient HTPCs

Cool, it would be nice if you could test 1080i deinterlacing. Regardless of the quality, if the i3 is able to do advanced deinterlacing of 1080i, it would certainly have an edge over the E-350, since the 6310 is not capable of it, according to the table you linked.

The E350 is capable of displaying stutterfree 1080i with VA de-interlacing. My system does. It is just a matter of the right settings. I can test this with Austrian TV channel ServusTV HD which is broadcasting in 1080i. Until I found the right settings it used to stutter but now it does not anymore. My System is a ASUS E35M1-M PRO mainboard with 8GB of DDR3-1333 RAM running at 1333 MHz via BIOS settings. This helps memory bandwidth for CPU and built-in AMD 6310 video adapter. Operating system is Windows 7 64 Bit. Also I am using SAF 6 with PowerDVD11 as TV Video codec and have activated VA deinterlacing via DXVAChecker. All video settings in AMD CCC are switched off execpt Dynamic Range and Manual DeInterlacing mode Vector Adaptive. Also Pull Down gets activated when selecting VA De-Interlacing.

With this configuration one should be able to run 1080i VA de-interlaced stutterfree. It took me a while to figure this out though.

Cheers

Blue Max

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    Tirol
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Interesting article for power efficient HTPCs

He says he had 100% load on the CPU cores when playing HD content. If so then he did something wrong as I have only 20% on my cores when playing HD content. Maybe he he did not activate DXVA for media processing. Also for some people 100 Euro make a difference.

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for all the info folks - much appreciated.

Has anyone produced an i3 mobo with DC power supply? Also what's the overall height of them with the stock cooler? My cases are less than 50mm high.

The expense is definitely a concern though. 4 clients = 400 euros extra. That's a lot!

BugsBunny

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    Tirol
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The overall hight with the stock cooler is ~35 mm (PCB to the top of the cooler). So you have to add ~2mm for the PCB and ~5mm space for the mounting on the back.
    The top of the CPU cooler has about the same hight as the plugged in memory modules.

gambler

Portal Member
    March 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Re: Interesting article for power efficient HTPCs

The E350 is capable of displaying stutterfree 1080i with VA de-interlacing. My system does. It is just a matter of the right settings. I can test this with Austrian TV channel ServusTV HD which is broadcasting in 1080i. Until I found the right settings it used to stutter but now it does not anymore. My System is a ASUS E35M1-M PRO mainboard with 8GB of DDR3-1333 RAM running at 1333 MHz via BIOS settings. This helps memory bandwidth for CPU and built-in AMD 6310 video adapter. Operating system is Windows 7 64 Bit. Also I am using SAF 6 with PowerDVD11 as TV Video codec and have activated VA deinterlacing via DXVAChecker. All video settings in AMD CCC are switched off execpt Dynamic Range and Manual DeInterlacing mode Vector Adaptive. Also Pull Down gets activated when selecting VA De-Interlacing.

I was planing to build my HTPC with 4 gb ram. Is it so important to have 8gb for 1080i/p playback?
    And why ASUS E35M1-M PRO? there are more cheaper Mb on the market withe the same specification. For example Asrock E350M1.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Re: Interesting article for power efficient HTPCs

I was planing to build my HTPC with 4 gb ram. Is it so important to have 8gb for 1080i/p playback?
    And why ASUS E35M1-M PRO? there are more cheaper Mb on the market withe the same specification. For example Asrock E350M1.

I aimed for 8 GB of RAM mainly because I plan to use a 4 GB RAM Disk for the Timeshift Buffer to reduce harddrive wear. Also I selected the ASUS MicroATX board because no Mini ITX board offers Firewire/IEEE1394 Ports which I need for my Floppy DTV S2 TV cards. Also I buy ASUS boards since 1997 and I always had positive experience with all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom