internet connection required to install (1 Viewer)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
I went to install mediaportal 1.0 a box with no internet connection but I found it can't be done, at one point as far as I can tell the installer attempts to download a list of what parts are required (sql server etc) but when it fails the installer closes! I apreciate that it would obviously no be able to download the componants but I would be able to download them on another PC and transfer them via usb but that would not work.

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Xface
Windows Version: Vista ultamate x32
CPU Type: core 2 duo 2.1
HDD: western digital 400Gb
Memory: 1Gb
Motherboard: Asus P5L-VM 1394
Video Card: Asus Gforce 6200 LE
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: onboard (ASUS)
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: kworld (currently removed)
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T (PCI)
1. TV Card Driver: 4.0.108.4
2. TV Card: ASUS My cinema U3000 Mini
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T (USB)
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card: DNTV! Live Dual Hybrid PCIe
3. TV Card Type: twin hybrid
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: thermaltake motzart
Cooling: CPU fan / passive on other
Power Supply:
Remote: iMon
TV: Samsung LA37R7
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA, (not DVI->HDMI, mis-led by samsung)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
OK, thanks. a bit complacated. why doesn't it just include a default version of that one XML file. just like windows install, it askes if you want to download updated setup files and can do so if a connection is avalable but it will still install with what it has withoug needing an internet connection. anyway, I don't see any way that the requirements for mediaportal for a preticular version can change after it is built, why is that file being downloaded in the first place it should be built into the installer (not the prerequsite files, just the list XML file)

Major_Mess

Portal Pro
June 18, 2006
The best way to install is to extract the actual setup files. No need to run the misleading deploy tool to completion if you are an experienced MP RC user. To get the files from the setup archive, run the normal deploy tool. Then in one of your temp directories you will find a folder with the following files, package-mediaportal.exe, package-tvengine.exe, and wmp11-windowsxp-x86-ENU.exe. After finding and copying the files to a new location you can close the deploy tool. You will still need SQL if using the TV server, and all of the required fixes etc. Previously you could ignore the required windows updates and hotfixes posted on the requirements page, but now the MP exe actually checks for certain files during program startup and informs you of the need to apply them, before it either crashes or closes.

This file checking is a real pain, and should be removed unless an explanation of what new function is being called that was not in the old version and not just because a file version supposedly has problems without an issue explanation, and therefore actually show a reason to mess with a stable working Operating System.

revilorb

December 5, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I downloade3d the setup package and ran it on another pc that has yet to have IE upgrded to 8.0 as yet. It is still version 6.0. And everything worked. So I downloaded the ing the files moved them over to the other computer. SO far everything has seemed to have worked. However, unless I am way off base, it seems there could be some issue with IE 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom