IRSS Still Freezing on Resume (1 Viewer)

cafe.racer

Portal Pro
August 5, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

cpp2005 - stopped the input service, replaced the files, started the service and reboted for good measure. It will still not respond to the keys I have mapped, until I stopped and restarted the Input Service (which is better than having to confgure in order to get it to restart), logs attached.

cpp2005

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2006
    cafe.racer
    You probably have two IR server installations, because your logs are from original version. It is easy to tell since debug build specifies file path on the development machine in the exception message. For my builds its
    D:\temp\prj\mp\mediaportal\IR Server Suite\
    (See Clinton logs for example).
    In your logs its
    D:\Dev\MediaPortal\Plugins\IR Server Suite\
    which I believe is original installation.

Clinton
    Interesting you have the same exception as cafe.racer, and I see that my build didn't help to solve the problem.
    I'm not sure how to continue since I'm not having this problem on Vista.
    You say it fails on system startup but when you restart the service it is the same code that executed on start up.
    By the way the real problem is "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request" and not "The device does not recognize the command" as I said before.

Clinton

Portal Member
    October 2, 2008
    cpp2005 - thanks for the response. Could the exception have to do with timing, dependencies, or other environmental factors at startup?
    A workaround - quick and dirty - is to change the Input Service startup type from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed Start). This means no IRSS functionality for a couple of minutes. This could work for cafe.racer too.

RoXoR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2008
    B-W
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi cafe.racer, I have (nearly) the same problem.

here is my solution:
    I am using this plugin: (v1.10)
    mpstandbyhandler starts this batch file after resume:
    Code:
    net stop inputservice
    net start inputservice

and so IRSS works well again

cafe.racer

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    cafe.racer
    You probably have two IR server installations, because your logs are from original version. It is easy to tell since debug build specifies file path on the development machine in the exception message. For my builds its
    D:\temp\prj\mp\mediaportal\IR Server Suite\
    (See Clinton logs for example).
    In your logs its
    D:\Dev\MediaPortal\Plugins\IR Server Suite\
    which I believe is original installation.

I hope I don't, I'll be embarrased if that's the problem! I'll check, but I did uninstall and reinstall IRSS a couple of days back, just to see if that would cure the problem.

Hi cafe.racer, I have (nearly) the same problem.

here is my solution:
    I am using this plugin: (v1.10)
    mpstandbyhandler starts this batch file after resume:
    Code:
    net stop inputservice
    net start inputservice

and so IRSS works well again

I did have this problem, and stopping and restarting the service would work. I actually had the service configured to restart on failure which got round the problem, but then with the newer version this no longer worked and I had to configure the MCE Plugin to get it to work. Unfortunately, this would then cause MCE to crash/give me "No tuners were available" so it was a little unworkable...

I'll uninstall everything, and make sure I only have one IRSS installation and report back.

Thanks for your help, everyone

Clinton

Portal Member
    October 2, 2008
    Cafe.racer - as far as I can tell, with cpp2005's modified MCE transceiver files (above in this thread) there is no longer a problem on standby-resume. The remaining issue I observe is an exception on system startup/reboot. I mentioned a simple workaround, which seems to work for me at least. I look forward to reading how you get on after reinstalling.

cafe.racer

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi, I uninstalled and this time removed the directory under program data, then reinstalled Aaron's test build (not cpp's transceiver).

I noticed that it works fine when I didn't resume with Media Center running. So I've fiddled with the MST settings to delay the startup of Media Center (currently at 15 Secs) and it seems to be fine. So, essentially the same fix as yours, Clinton. As my LCD Panel takes about 10 secs to "wake up" anyway, I'm not really loosing anything.

So, whether I had mutliple installs, or something, I don't know but it appears to be working - I'll give it a bit of testing this weekend.

cafe.racer

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Nope - wth Aaron's test build it still freezes after I've left it suspended for a while. I've put cpp's transceiver in, will see how it goes.

cpp2005

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2006
    Clinton
    Could the exception have to do with timing, dependencies, or other environmental factors at startup?
    I guess you right, this problem is difficult to solve without deep understanding what's going on there.

cafe.racer
    In your log you still got "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request", which aborts reading thread. But you suspended and resumed after that, which in Aaron build starts reading thread again, so may be you didn't notice it.

RoXor
    If you have resume problem, it may be solved by this patch.

tadr

Portal Member
    October 4, 2008
    I just wanted to add that I'm also having problems with the Input Service working after suspend/resume.

I only need to send a few commands with my setup, so I've just setup scripts to start the service, send the command, and then stop the service. While this seems stable, it's pretty slow. I'm running the latest IRSS with Vista 32.

It'd be great if there was a fix so I didn't have to muck with the service start/stop nonsense :)

Edit: I almost forgot to say thank you! I've been looking for a program that would allow me to record and send IR commands on demand with my MCE receiver/blasters and I was thrilled when cafe racer pointed me here from thegreenbutton forums. It's more than what I need (since I'm just using it to send IR commands from a single media center when certain events happen), but it's clear that someone's put a LOT of time into it. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom