Is it possible to use TVserver over Internet...? (1 Viewer)

JacobJust

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Im wondering if it is possible to use the TVserver over Internet.

I have MediaPortal installed in main house with 4 clients using TVserver with 6 tuners.

I have 100Mb down and 10Mb upload ... and just bought a summer vacation house.

It has 20/2 Internet connection, but no antenna connections available today.

So my question is: Can i use the TVserver at home to connect to with a MediaPortal client at the summer vacation house over the Internet ?

Thanks for helping me out on this...

I guess i could stream it from iPimp or other streaming engine, but my wish is using the Mediaportal client because the family is used to it from home. (and also DVD, Music, Video etc. is the same)

Regards

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I also had this question recently.
    First, you need to open tv server streaming ports and mysql/ms sql ports. Maybe also you'll need static ip adress (since my attempts to use domain name instead failed) but I'm not sure. Anyway I failed to do this :)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have tried and failed, but solved it using VPN, that way you extend your home network to your vacation house.
    No need to open ports and go trough all the trouble with firewall config, no need to mess with name resolution and all that stuff, focus on getting VPN working and the reset will work itself out.

You will get it to work, but probably a bit "sluggish" due to bandwidth... wont be as smooth as home network, but it will work.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Static IP addresses and DNS resolution aren't must-have's for a quick test, but in the long run they are probably useful. If you don't use a VPN, you'll need to set up port forwarding in the router and configure the firewall for at least the following ports:

1433 (SQL Server) or 3306 (MySQL) - make sure to configure database security to allow remote access via TCP
    31456 (TV Server client communication)
    554 (RTSP streaming control)
    <high range ports> (RTSP streaming data) - not sure of the actual port range off the top of my head

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have 100Mb down and 10Mb upload ... and just bought a summer vacation house.
    Besides that Tvserver is not meant/built to be accessed from the WAN, you face a much bigger issue - and thats the bitrate of your tv channels.
    i.e. most of the HD TV Channels have a bitrate of 12+MBit/Sec - too much for the 10MBit line.
    SD should work - question is how stable.

I guess i could stream it from iPimp or other streaming engine
    You can try the VPN way to get an HTPC working. Or use your laptop/ipad/whatever in combination with MPExtended or ipimp.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    MPExtended will work, I have same "upload" as you have and as long as selecting flash lq or ultra lq it runs fine.
    But from original post I'm guessing what he is looking for is to have it working just like home.

JacobJust

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for the input everyone

Ill be trying over the next couple of weeks to get it working...

Will post my experiences here later ...

Just thought about the MPextended solution. Would it be possible to use MPextended as TV provider to the normal MPclient ?

In MP2 the TVsolution is served through MPextended ... could that be used in this setup and streamed to client instead as direct stream from tuner ...

I guess its a long shot, but don't know if it could work.

My main goal here is to use the normal MP client as frontend. Then i and the family could use remote just as back home.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MPExtend Webserver -> Then can access Live TV + Movies + TV Series via web browser @ holiday house
    iPIMP -> Then can access Live TV + Movies + TV Series via web browser @ holiday house
    Ampdroid + MPExtend -> Then can access Live TV + Movies + TV Series via android client @ holiday house

hkjensen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    MPExtend Webserver -> IP-TV (http) -> TVserver at holiday house -> MP Client at holiday house
    (requires IP-TV with support for HTTP-protocol)
    Where i can watch live TV - only problem channel change is very slow
    for Movies and TV-Series i use VPN access
    (Have only 3 mb upload at home)

Streaming profile :
    <transcoder>
    <name>WebTVHQ</name>
    <description>TV-Server IP-TV profile</description>
    <bandwidth>2000</bandwidth>
    <target>android</target>
    <transport>http</transport>
    <maxOutputWidth>720</maxOutputWidth>
    <maxOutputHeight>576</maxOutputHeight>
    <mime>video/MP2T</mime>
    <videoStream>true</videoStream>
    <transcoderConfiguration implementation="MPExtended.Services.StreamingService.Transcoders.FFMpeg">
    <codecParameters>-codec:v libx264 -x264opts vbv-maxrate=2000:vbv-bufsize=2000 -b:v 1024k -profile:v baseline -preset:v veryfast -g 16 -coder rle -codec:a copy -strict experimental -async 1 -sn -f mpegts</codecParameters>
    </transcoderConfiguration>
    </transcoder>

IPTV-channel.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom