Is Mediaportal dying out? (2 Viewers)

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My impression (as well as my feeling of my own mp enthusiasm) is that the never ending wait for mp2 is at least doing no good in regard to the thread title.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On the forums being quiet, I guess ordinary users mostly visit the forums if they are troubleshooting a problem, or trying to figure out how to do something. So I guess MediaPortal has just been too stable recently; introduce some new and interesting bugs, or randomly move stuff about in the UI like Microsoft does with Office every few years, and the forums will get some activity for sure :D.
    I want to laugh, but somehow I think it was not ment as a joke o_O

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Install TRAKT on both Emby and KODI, USE the Emby app in KODI and the KODI sync accelerator app in Emby - Now you have watched flags, recently added, movie collections, centralised database and a whole lot more on your KODI box. You can also configure live TV using KODI or Emby to show on the KODI box.

If you also have TRAKT on MP than it also synchronises watched flags with MP. All it takes is to use the same TRAKT account on all machines.

I can watch a move with KODI upstairs, stop watching, go downstairs and pick up where I left in the movie with MP, seamless. Visa-versa also works.

As I mentioned before MP, KODI and Emby play real nice together and give you an affordable whole house experience with KODI as the cheap solution and MP as the premium solution wherever you need it.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Install TRAKT on both Emby and KODI, USE the Emby app in KODI and the KODI sync accelerator app in Emby - Now you have watched flags, recently added, movie collections, centralised database and a whole lot more on your KODI box. You can also configure live TV using KODI or Emby to show on the KODI box.

If you also have TRAKT on MP than it also synchronises watched flags with MP. All it takes is to use the same TRAKT account on all machines.

I can watch a move with KODI upstairs, stop watching, go downstairs and pick up where I left in the movie with MP, seamless. Visa-versa also works.

As I mentioned before MP, KODI and Emby play real nice together and give you an affordable whole house experience with KODI as the cheap solution and MP as the premium solution wherever you need it.

Interesting, im going to look into emby if only for remote streaming of media when away from home. Any idea if it supports wake from S3 sleep, (ie, will i be able to wake my server, which auto sleeps after 15 minutes of inactivity, from outside my home network via port forwarding)? Most transcoding software doesnt seem to support it and relies on the server running 24/7.

J

joostzilla

For me MP is so incredibly rock steady that i actually have no reason to visit the forum. But since i am a MP lover i do visit the forum at least once a day to see whats new.
    For streaming media/liveTV from my MP server i just use 'MediaPortal iViewer' app from the Apple store. For other streaming purposes i use Plex on tablets, phones and the PS4. Works like a charm.
    Maybe i am one of the last dinosaurs that like to have a nice collection of media on my local server.

I have played with Kodi and emby. Quickly returned to MP. Not only for its superior integrated TV server but also its user friendliness. Tons of options doesn't make things necessarily better.

So... MP still kicks major ass imho.

Sorry, i just saw this was posted in the MP2 forum. ;-)

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I'm a MP user from the very beginning, and followed all the development. I have to say that MP is an incredible HTPC all-round performer. Maybe in the last years has been a little bit static without following the new gadgets that came out (tv-boxes and smart tvs).
    There's no way to see live tv from tv-server without passing through plex or emby. Today every software (tvheadend, dvbviewer, progdvb, smartdvb) exposes an m3u playlist with all live tv channels. An HTPC today has to serve multiple devices in the house (android tablets and smartphones, tvs), and it seems to me that this aspect of MP has been a little torn apart, or it hasn't received the right attention.
    I agree that Mp2 seems to most of us a step back, not a step forward.
    Absolute silence regarding the new tvserver (i know that mm1352000 is doing wonders), but for the average user it seems like many years has passed without nothing really new.
    Bye,
    sdf

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I agree that Mp2 seems to most of us a step back, not a step forward.
    Oh boy, this is sooooo wrong... A solution without centralized media server is completely outdated this days...
    You even don't have series, weather or fanart support out of the box. And for this you have completely different settings for every "plugin" that is confusing nearly every average user, not to talk about newbies. This is what you call a step forward???? If there weren't MP2 I would have leave the MP community a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom