Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (2 Viewers)

toga67

Portal Pro
October 15, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
I just tried the new XBMC 11.0 version with PVR support and i must say it is quiet good. Channel switching is fast and everything looks good. I used MediaPortal TV Server as the TV backend.
At the moment i only see 1 KO criteria and that is the video quality for SD channels. SD quality is very bad. Does anybody know if there is a way to improve the SD TV quality?

muellinger

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2009
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    i think i wrote something not clear. All my tests were on Windows (XP and 7). And i mentioned Linux because heard of many people that using Linux seems to be a better supported way of running XBMC. I even tested OpenELEC and i had many problems getting my hardware to work. But with Win7 and MePo my Out of the Box experience was 90%. The rest was installing Avallonis white theme, Moving Pictures and building a good Folderstructure for my DVD mkv's (made from DVDs i personally own only) with scraping them in Moving Pictures.

But like i said. Someone prefers XBMC the other MePo... :-D

Cheers.

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    toga67 - I strongly suggest that you post your issues over at the XBMC forum as there will be much more active support there. I do not use the TV function and so I can't help you.

@muellinger - I now understand what you meant :) Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Just found an app in the Google Market which allows me to control XBMC from either my phone or my tablet. It will give program / film synopsis as well as act as a full remote. Excellent stuff.

Also I gave the live Linux CD a try. It booted very quickly and worked excellently well. This means a completely configured media box with a free OS and XBMC booted straight to the home screen.

ltpr

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello, I am relatively new to Media Portal and since using I have gotten very excited about it's offerings/features.

I do have a question, since I like to check other items as well, I am interested in adding XBMC and Hulu as plug-ins to MP yet have not been able to find such here. I did get the xbmc and Hulu desktop downloads and proceeded to use what's called multi-shortcuts to get the plugins within the MP configuration. I see them within the plugin menu, yet, they do not launch with MP. Can someone please provide some guidance or point me in the right direction for threads posted in this space. Thank you!

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here are MY pro / cons for XBMC.

Pros for XBMC:
    - Better performance
    - Integrated Movie/Series/MusicVideo functionalities with scrapping in the GUI
    - It never hang up for me
    - Addons are managed / downloaded in the GUI
    - Integrated fully functional file browser
    - Integrated web server without configuration needed
    - Integrated android remote app

Cons for XBMC:
    - No series recordings in the GUI
    - Some buttons don't have shortcuts (for example the timeshift pause button has only shortcuts on some specific skins)
    - Picture quality in inferior in sd movies / no direct x show codecs
    - I miss the left / right skip buttons in timeshift

These are the major issues for ME. I really would like to test XBMC in my productive system but my better half would kill me if she has to use a worse tv part. :p

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Personally i like the easy of use of XBMC. It simplified the setup of a htpc environment a lot. But as soon as you have to dig deeper or want additional functionality you have only limited options. Since MP2 isn't ready yet i really like the combination of XBMC and the MP TV Server unfortunately is the addon based on yet another webservice(which i really don#t like ;) )

Kapt

August 12, 2011
    Pros Xbmc-ubuntu
    - Plays rar files with scrapping
    - Configure inside the program (i dont like having a keyboard connected to my asrock, i can configigure everything with remote, install plugins and so on)
    - Linux takes less space boots faster
    - No codecs
    "- Integrated Movie/Series/MusicVideo functionalities with scrapping in the GUI"

Cons Xbmc
    - every tv show have to be in a separate folder for the scrapper to work /tv shows/the office/the office.avi etc
    - no skip button with timeshift (this is probably what i miss the most)
    - limited configuration (some rare files just dont play well jitter etc not much you can do about it i think. mostly anime)

what got me over to the xbmc corner is that it plays rar files and it works with scrapper out of the box. My torrent downloads automatically seeds while im able to watch and stops when my ratio criteria is met i don't have to go to my desktop pc before i can watch my new shows or manage them in anyway (unpack/move/delete)

ZombieRobot

April 5, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wow nearly 2 years after i started this thread and team XBMC are just now starting to take a look at adding tv support. Oh how i was wrong back then o_O

I never knew this thread would keep going i was shocked to see so many comments my intention was to start a friendly debate about the two applications mediaportal and xbmc are both fantastic software/examples of opensource projects and have some of the best community support i have ever seen.

I have come back to use mediaportal (with tail between legs) for a change XBMC is fantastic and i find using the pvr version of xbmc/media portal tv server a nice (not great)experience but mepo wins hands down in this department i will continue to use and Skin for XBMC but my main living room setup will be mediaportal for now.

I flicked through a few pages of the comments everyone had great points and opinions some made me smile like this

XBMC without TV integration (coming very soon) is hard to swallow.
    Coming soon? LOL Isn't that what started this thread over a year ago? I still say the title of this thread should be "Will XBMC survive the addition of TV?" Still remains to be seen.
    Also they aren't adding tv support to xbmc, they're adding mediaportal tv server. So it's a bit strange to ask if MediaPortal can survice xbmc using parts of MediaPortal... ^^

They are using mediaportal tv server because why reinvent the wheel, also once upon a time mediaportals first releases were based on reused code (parts) from xbmc ;) anyhow just got my mediaportal and tv server setup time to go sorry for the rant/thread hijack time to go mod me some mepo skins.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Wow nearly 2 years after i started this thread and team XBMC are just now starting to take a look at adding tv support. Oh how i was wrong back then o_O

I never knew this thread would keep going i was shocked to see so many comments my intention was to start a friendly debate about the two applications mediaportal and xbmc are both fantastic software/examples of opensource projects and have some of the best community support i have ever seen.

I have come back to use mediaportal (with tail between legs) for a change XBMC is fantastic and i find using the pvr version of xbmc/media portal tv server a nice (not great)experience but mepo wins hands down in this department i will continue to use and Skin for XBMC but my main living room setup will be mediaportal for now.
    Welcome back...

See it like this: Did you also post a "MediaPortal better than XBMC after all" post in the xbmc forums? ;) How would you think people there would react to a thread like this. I think the discussion in this thread has become quite good and informative, but I'm still getting pissed off just a little bit everytime I see the thread title pop up. :whistle:

But yeah, XBMC is a great piece of software and hopefully around for a long time ... just like MP... :p

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think you have to see it this way:
    Forever and ever MediaPortal will be compared to other software products. At the moment these are XBMC, Win7 MCE, ... but this is good for progression. Without comparison there would be no progression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom