Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc (2 Viewers)

joshbrown1984

April 12, 2010
I have been a longtime user of mediaportal about 6 years before moving to XBMC only because i wanted to try somthing different i didnt have a tvtuner so the tv server was wasted on me so i thought i would have a play with xbmc for windows while keeping my mediaprtal setup but once i learned how to use xbmc i rely liked what it had to offer for what i needed especially a live XBMC OS as time moved on i got into skinning in xbmc and rely got into the scene but time came for me to get a tv card with all the new hd tv content so i thought about returning to mediaportal until the XBMC development team announced the next installment of the software codeneame Dharma with
improved skinning engine
also new addons section
full blu-ray support
full mkv/Avchd playback annd much more
tv tuner support for live tv and recording using myth tv server or mediaportal
and much more check here for list Roadmap ? XBMC
so was just wondering what you guys thought about this and what mediaportal will have to offer over xbmc i rely like mediaportal dont get me wrong but i like my eye candy

technick

Portal Pro
May 6, 2009
Home Country
France France
Last time I try xbmc, it was perfect to look poor divx on screen for newbees but if your problem is quality of video, freq, colors, management, sound and if you want a full htpc computer with TV, there is no conccurent to mediaportal, free or not ;)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Why should MP have to "survive" XBMC? They're both great products that show how awesome open source can be. I'm glad if XBMC gets better because in the end MediaPortal will benefit from this (by adding similar features, porting skins, etc.).

That's all I'm gonna say on this topic because there have been enough discussions on what is the "better" software and which features MP is missing.

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    I tried XBMC a couple of times because I do feel that XBMC's interface is a lot 'smoother' than MP's. However, as soon as you want XBMC to do a bit more you realize that MP wins out as far as plugins etc go. My feeling is that MP is way more extensible.

That said, I think both projects have a place in this world and can only benefit from each other. For now, I'm looking forward to MP2. :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have been a longtime user of mediaportal about 6 years before moving to XBMC only because i wanted to try somthing different i didnt have a tvtuner so the tv server was wasted on me so i thought i would have a play with xbmc for windows while keeping my mediaprtal setup but once i learned how to use xbmc i rely liked what it had to offer for what i needed especially a live XBMC OS as time moved on i got into skinning in xbmc and rely got into the scene but time came for me to get a tv card with all the new hd tv content so i thought about returning to mediaportal until the XBMC development team announced the next installment of the software codeneame Dharma with
    improved skinning engine
    also new addons section
    full blu-ray support
    full mkv/Avchd playback annd much more
    tv tuner support for live tv and recording using myth tv server or mediaportal
    and much more check here for list Roadmap ? XBMC
    so was just wondering what you guys thought about this and what mediaportal will have to offer over xbmc i rely like mediaportal dont get me wrong but i like my eye candy

Only time will tell :)

About XBMC's blu-ray support, its not full like you state (it doesn't support menus) so it's on par with the current offering of MediaPortal plugins.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Only time will tell :).

Yep! That stuff is on Roadmap, but has anyone really seen how the integration of TV is going to work?

I am always interested in users comments comparing features and functions of MP and any other media center software. AFAIK there is not a good comparison anywhere on the web. At least I looked and could not find one. So I really appreciate everyone's comments as it helps me when I am writing docs, text for our Home Pages, press releases, etc.

Has anyone actually compared the system resources required? Because I have had users tell me that the 'smooth' interface of XBMC requires considerably more system resources.

If anyone feels up to writing some usable comparison stuff for us, it would be great: Features, Performance, support, etc.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc

Just a single report with own experience :
    Tried XBMC some months ago (maybe 1 year).
    XBMC seems less ressources demanding than MP.
    More configuration possibility for MP.
    Faster skin engine display and media folders navigation for XBMC, giving impression of more reactive software.
    No TV Engine for XBMC.

the_ult

Portal Pro
    June 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    At the moment I'm using both XBMC and Mediaportal, and I'm still not sure which one I like the most.

XBMC
    pros:
    - Skins (love the Alaska Skin)
    - Almost everything plays out of the box (no codec trouble)
    - HT- Experience plugin :)
    - Being able to view the trailer that you downloaded with the movie. (If you're in doubt whether you're gonna like the movie or not)

cons:
    - Less updates
    - Harder to find Skin updates/changes
    - harder to find the correct plugins
    - Configuration only inside XBMC
    - Not able to change a serie/movie when the wrong one is found

Mediaportal
    pros:
    - Moving pictures
    - Tv Server (Don't use it.. but still :) )
    - A lot of plugins
    - Great forum
    - Configuration both inside and outside Mediaportal

cons
    - skins are less smooth and nice, although StreamedMP is getting there
    - No trailer support
    - No HT Experience
    - Hard to find the right codecs, although SAF is pretty good

The last few months I'm starting to use XBMC more and more over Mediaportal (Sorry)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Re: Re : Is mediaportal going to survive the new xbmc

Yes, but you could use "MythBox", which is a MythTV frontend for XBMC... MythBox Project :D
    Hi geov,
    Yes, maybe, a TV try should be done. :)

Therefore, test has been made one year ago.
    At this time, there was no Gibman's leaks fixes, nor rtv's skin engine improvment speed and so on...
    The only one 4/3 skin fully working in all cases other than B3 was Xface.

MP Series and MovingPictures plugins were not as mature as today.

Even StreamedMP, Xfactor skins, ... didn't exist.
    So, XBMC skins were more beautiful than MP skins at this time.

With that history, we can see how good improvements were done by MP Team and MP community.

A newer test reported by someone would maybe be very interesting.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom