Is there any use for a multi protocol IR receiver/ transmitter? (1 Viewer)

myscha

Portal Pro
May 6, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Attached to this post you can find the schematic for an addon board for Maple-Mini as I would build it now. It offers:
- an IR input
- an IR output
- an interface to connect a multicolor LED to the mainboards LED headers
- a possibility to sense the 5V from the main PSU
- an interface to the PCs power button
- an interface to the PCs reset button
- a S/PDIF interface (mainboard header to optical transmitter)

Each part of the above can be omitted when not used. Board size would be about 80x50mm². If there's enough interest I could layout a PCB - if not it could be relatively easily soldered by hand.

Attachments

• maplemini-addon.pdf
    23.7 KB
Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    i think your project is an good project,
    on HTPC, it's not easy to found good input hardware.
    the only one for me is Imon, but all is closed, no firmware update and the software is very bad.

the good way on your project is MP plugins available,
    an additional plugin for IRSS, or port your plugin to MP2

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After some more work the receiver itself looks as on the attached pictures. The microcontroller board will be placed inside the HTPC case and the remote part from the pics contains only the IR receiving IC and a multicolour LED where blue will be the power LED and red the HDD LED. The housing was taken from a cheap IR extender.

The microcontroller could also handle some buttons and/or LEDs for user interaction, e.g. a LED to indicate that a show is being recorded, etc.

Attachments

• 20150606_134712_s.jpg
      20150606_134712_s.jpg
      290.6 KB
    • 20150603_205705_s.jpg
      20150603_205705_s.jpg
      265.2 KB
    • 20150603_205819_s.jpg
      20150603_205819_s.jpg
      162.3 KB
    Last edited:

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi azzuro,
    at the moment I'm porting the software onto another library which will simplify the use of other target microcontrollers from the STM32 family as I'm using a quite uncommon derivative for me. When this is finished I'll commit the Code on Github and post another reply here.
    Michael

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello guys,

as I also have some other projects aside of this one (a house, two small children, etc.), I didn't work on this topic for a while. Sorry for the delay... Here I'd like to give you a short update about the current state:

The last couple of days I programmed a bit, so the firmware is now running on a STM32F103, too. For this device loads of cheap boards are available, e.g. the Maple Leafs Mini as an open source project. Unfortunately it has been discontinued, but the documentation is still available. Nevertheless I'm creating a schematic and layout for usage with another "standard" board, which can be found there, but also on Ebay (just search for STM32F103C8T6).

I have to do some more software and firmware testing and also migrate the USB bootloader to the STM32F103. After that I will release a first version on Github.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Interesting project.

However, some "activation hurdle" reduction is probably needed in order to be successful. I can hardly see anybody but the hard-core makers realizing this on their own. If this was available as a kit, I would most likely jump on it. As it stands, the effort of getting the hardware (as little as it might be), mastering the different programming elements and finally getting it to run is too time-consuming.

Maybe we can think of different approaches.

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also see this as a difficulty, but I don't have a good solution either.

Depending on the number of potential buyers, I could imagine to offer it as a kit. That would include the PCB, all necessary components and maybe the microcontroller board. But the buyers would have to solder themselves anyway. I can't offer to also do that unless we're talking about hundreds of boards.

The firmware could be programmed via UART (a USB-to-UART-converter would also work) but not all PCs/users will have such an interface.

What do you think? More and other ideas are highly appreciated.

Maybe I should start a survey to find out how many people are interested in general and which features are mandatory.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess that the firmware programming might be as much an issue as the soldering. Who is still having an UART (RS232?). I would have thought that modern microcontrollers now have a more modern interface, but maybe I am missing a piece here.

At this time, providing more detailed instructions would be a great step forward. There are a couple of other projects described (such as the TV back-lighting) that have attracted a significant number of users. While soldering is no issue for me personally - and I still happen to have an active desktop with RS232 interface too - I expect the normal average MePo user to not have the necessary technical skills.

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    UART will still exist in many years from now as it's incredibly cheap and easy to handle, whereas USB is relatively complicated on embedded targets. Newer and bigger devices from this manufacturer already come with a USB bootloader, but the corresponding boards cost at least 4 times as much as boards with this one. Therefore the question is how much one is willing to pay for a "stupid IR receiver"...

Could you please provide a link to the TV back-lighting project (or one of the others) you mean? As there are loads of Ambilight clones out there, I doubt I'll find the correct one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom