Is there any use for a multi protocol IR receiver/ transmitter? (1 Viewer)

myscha

Portal Pro
May 6, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi folks,

I'm working on a small piece of hardware which connects as USB HID and doesn't need any driver installed (except for flashing or updating the firmware). There are some files that have to be stored in a directory and an executable that connects to the USB device and offers some configuration options.

At the moment the following features are implemented or (at least) planned:
1. device featured
  • supports about 40 different IR protocols (if neccessary)
  • interfaces the PCs power and reset button (if neccessary)
  • can wake the PC from any power state, either via USB or via hardware button (S5)
  • integrated clock can wake the PC at a given time
  • supports 3 independent IR commands for power up, power down and reset
  • can reset the PC if the according IR command is received 3 times in a row
  • is able to forward received or to transmit own IR commands to other devices
2. host featured
  • Standalone GUI application for configuration
  • application accepts command line arguments for setting the next wakeup time or to initiate transmission of an IR command
  • initiate transmission of a custom IR command by clicking a button (useful to teach commands to a programmable remote)
  • shows the device time, wakeup time and the last received command
  • assign received command to power on, power off or reset functionality
  • assign IR commands to keyboard buttons or sequences that are sent to the top application
  • assign IR commands to start applications (with arguments). This can be used to trigger IR commands when receiving specific commands
  • TVserver plugin that polls the PowerScheduler for the next wakeup time and transfers that time to the device
So my questions are:
- would anyone be happy about an according device with software?
- are there other features that should be integrated? Hard- and software offer room for extensions. As an example: on my own hardware I added an optical S/PDIF interface and some circuitry that maps the power and hdd LEDs onto one single multicolour LED as my case only offers place for one single LED.

Best regards,
Michael

Last edited:

myscha

Portal Pro
May 6, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Here you can find a first version of the host (= Windows) software. Device schematics and firmware will follow.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sounds interesting you should post up some pictures too.

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The attached picture shows my current development playground, so don't look too close at it ;-).

As I started this project, I had a mainboard with a really bad clock (RTC) and therefore wanted to implement a better one inside this device. To not loose the time on a power blackout I wanted to have the whole thing battery buffered. In the meantime I have a new board with a much better RTC and I don't need some of the integrated hardware any more. Especially the battery backup is obsolete as the mainboard time is still correct after a couple of weeks without adjusting it.

At the moment my implementation would likely consist of a Leaflabs Maple Mini (design files on GitHub) and another board that could be stacked onto the Maple Mini and contains the additional hardware parts. Clones of the Maple Mini are available on Aliexpress for some $/€ and the addon board including the components would cost some more bucks. If it's built up with THT parts, people can even solder it themselves at home.

Depending on the feedback even more features could be implemented...

Attachments

• 20150515_131012_s.jpg
      20150515_131012_s.jpg
      200.7 KB

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I forgot to mention that the GUIs of the standalone application and the MePo-plugin look and work identically. On the Github page you can find compiled binaries/dlls that just have to be stored in the same directory.

The plugin won't work, as modified PowerScheduler dll are needed. The necessary modifications can be seen here.

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I added the solutions nevertheless. I also added the PS dlls to v0.2 release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom