Is this the right approach ? (1 Viewer)

pastimer

Portal Pro
May 15, 2006
Leiden, Netherlands
nothing wrong with that idea.

the TV-Server sources are available for everyone.
so if anyone wants to modifiy it in that direction go ahead :)

Since TVserver atm is both 'MP server' AND 'Lantv' this idea (the seperation) should be supported, carried out, by the current developers of TVserver to make a chance i guess...

So, what do these developers, especially Frodo, think?

Eppo

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Since TVserver atm is both 'MP server' AND 'Lantv' this idea (the seperation) should be supported, carried out, by the current developers of TVserver to make a chance i guess...
    question: why should we always do everything on our own? ;)

its simple, we are a rather small team working on this huge project.
    If we would do everything which is requested in the forums then we would have to:
    1. add every single requested feature
    2. redesign MediaPortal and TV-Server all the time
    3. and make TV-Server and MediaPortal rock solid

sorry, but that does not match.

So we have/had to find a design how we want MediaPortal to work.
    A design which is doable with our resources.
    And we think that we have found that design. and this is how MediaPortal and TV-Server is working like it is atm.

We may change something in the future, but for now we have to go the way we decided to go.
    And to make our products as solid working as we can.
    :)

[moaning]
    to be honest. for me personaly its quite frustrating to find a new "you do all wrong", "do this our you are doomed", "gimme that feature or..."
    thread nearly daily in our forums. (not saying that this is one of em ;) )

and when someone from the team dares to ask for help we virtualy get nothing all the time (only a few exceptions which we are grateful for :) ).

i would be realy happy to see a bit more initiative and contribution from the community.
    MediaPortal is opensource, if you want to change it then Help us!
    :D
    [/moaning]

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I think i stated my idea's already ?
    My idea is that in the future the tvserver should transform in a general media server which supports multiple clients like MP, meedios, XBMC, MCE,...

Frodo

pastimer

Portal Pro
    May 15, 2006
    Leiden, Netherlands

I think i stated my idea's already ?
    My idea is that in the future the tvserver should transform in a general media server which supports multiple clients like MP, meedios, XBMC, MCE,...

Frodo

Sorry! It was not clear at all that the question should read:

What do you think of the idea of seperating the 'LanTV' service (as described above) and the 'MP Server' ? LanTV could then be a plugin in MP or MP server at will.

Eppo

pastimer

Portal Pro
    May 15, 2006
    Leiden, Netherlands

question: why should we always do everything on our own? ;)

Chris,

I really cant place your reaction with my comment, sorry.

I can imagine that all these requests can drive you crazy. But this thread is not a feature request. It places a question mark from the perpective of architecture and design. You should always be able and willing to answer such questions otherwise you wouldn't know where you're heading.

Now, all i was saying is that if this idea is not endorsed by the current developers, it is unlikely that it will come of the ground. And subsequently i asked for their opinions. Btw, if they do like the idea, i am very much willing to contribute on the development of a LanTV plugin where i can.

Regards, Eppo

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    But this thread is not a feature request. It places a question mark from the perpective of architecture and design. You should always be able and willing to answer such questions otherwise you wouldn't know where you're heading.
    you suggest a "radical" redesign of the TV-Server.

And i think that frodo and i have allready explained the "roadmap" of MediaPortal and TV-Server in our posts befor :)

kharasana

Portal Member
    February 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    When i read frodo's post from yesterday i thought by myself .."perfect"... I agree 100%.

But frodo's post from today sounds different. My question. What does it make sense to support different clients (MCE etc. ) My opinion is.

1. The MediaPortal project has a very good structure.

2. The intention to have a server with all components (TV, radio, video, pictures) and thin clients is 100% ok. I think that is all what most of the people want to have at home (of course not computer freeks !). But it will never be possible to write software for USERS an Software freeks. Software freeks don't want to use the software, they want to play with it.

3. The GUI is simple. It can be handled by any person.

4. The installation procedure is easy.

What should be done in the future:

1. Reduce the numer of supported TV-cards (the dev's should tell us which tv-cards, graphic cards work best with the software). This makes it easier to get a stable version.

2. Don't implement new features, try to make the existing version stable.

The only thing i hope is, that you developers don't change your way.

Thank you very much for time you spend for this project.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What does it make sense to support different clients (MCE etc. )
    not we create and support these clients. others simply take use of the TV-Server and write clients for i.e. MCE or XBMC.

which is fine and does not mean more work for us. :)

2. The intention to have a server with all components (TV, radio, video, pictures) and thin clients is 100% ok. I think that is all what most of the people want to have at home (of course not computer freeks !). But it will never be possible to write software for USERS an Software freeks. Software freeks don't want to use the software, they want to play with it.
    well, you can provide a basic configuration for the "normal users", and one were the "freaks" can tweak, and tweak and tweak :)
    (just thinking about ati's CCC -> basic/advanced)

4. The installation procedure is easy.
    thats something we are quite far away from atm. :(

What should be done in the future:

1. Reduce the numer of supported TV-cards (the dev's should tell us which tv-cards, graphic cards work best with the software). This makes it easier to get a stable version.
    well, the idea is "good". just a few problems.
    • TV-Server supports "every" TV-Card out of the box
    • hw-manufaturers would kill us
    • the users would kill us

the problem with the TV-Cards is simply their drivers and firmware..... but i would love to see ::this part:: in the wiki used more by the community (fill it with reviews!!!!) which would help new ppl to choose their hardware.

2. Don't implement new features, try to make the existing version stable.
    when you read the forums then you also notice the slight problem there.

one one hand you find thread like "gimme, gimme, gimme" on the other hand "make it stable!!!!"
    we are trying to get both done, but not at the same time :)

currently we are focusing on getting MediaPortal and the TV-Server stable. a hard job, but it looks very promising.
    sometimes this requires to get a "new feature" into our project like the TSreader filter which will fix those nasty issues we have currently in MyTV.

So focus is stability, but sometimes we cant fix a problem because it is not inside MediaPortal or the TV-Server (look at posts earlier about bugs in drivers and Windows Filters).
    If MP or TV-Server crashes the first thought is "what the f*ck has that damn thing done now? Why cant it be stable???"
    I fully understand that.

If Photoshop crashes here, i think the same ;)

pastimer

Portal Pro
    May 15, 2006
    Leiden, Netherlands
    the problem with the TV-Cards is simply their drivers and firmware..... but i would love to see ::this part:: in the wiki used more by the community (fill it with reviews!!!!) which would help new ppl to choose their hardware.

These pages are immutable Chris. How can i edit these pages?

pastimer

Portal Pro
    May 15, 2006
    Leiden, Netherlands
    imo. slow channel-change speeds are not a general issue of TV-Server.

in singleseat its ~1second (which is nearly the maximum you can get on dvb by design of dvb ) here
    and in multiseat it is slightly slower.

from my personal experience i can tell that, the "real" slowdown in channelchange-speed is caused by the TV-Card.

This personal experience i cannot share.

I have Altdvb with a skystar2 in the same driver setup as TVE3. Both operated from a remote computer. A channelchange in MP takes 4-8 seconds from the moment the 'green circle' starts. A channel change in Altdvb takes less then a second.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have multiple setups about this.

Eppo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom