Is Windows Media Player still needed on Windows 10 ? (1 Viewer)

el Filou

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Country flag
    Hi everyone.

Some time ago, I uninstalled Windows Media Player from my Windows 10 Pro HTPC because I figured I didn't need it, without thinking about MP's requirements. I went to "turn Windows features on or off" in Control Panel and unchecked it under the "Media Features" section. I did not uncheck the Media Features box itself. MP continued to work just fine so I didn't think about it.
    Then recently I upgraded to 1.21 and it warned that Windows Media Player was missing. This surprised me as it was working fine without it since I uninstalled it, but I downloaded the install file manually from your server, however it wouldn't install because of an error about Package Manager being deprecated and telling me to use DISM. I clicked OK and MP's install continued anyway and everything was still just fine like before the upgrade.

So here's my question: is Windows Media Player itself really still needed under Windows 10 for MP to work, considering it works just fine when you uninstall it as long as "Media Features" is still ticked in the Windows features? And if it is not, would it be possible to change the installer so that on Windows 10 it checks if the Media Features package is installed instead of WMP itself?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my office machine MP client. Same exact network, firewall, Defender settings. It's a slightly older version of Win 10 though - I haven't updated to 20Hx on it yet. Maybe I shouldn't (or maybe I should image it...
    P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my...
    Let me start by asking if anyone has TV Server running PROPERLY on a Windows 10 machine, and if so are you using RTSP or UNC share...
    Replies
    Views
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3.1 MediaPortal 2.3.1 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common user requirements out of the box. Aside from its support for Live TV and Radio, it offers a complete media server for music, movies, and TV shows. Info is automatically downloaded from various sources to...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3.1 MediaPortal 2.3.1 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.3.1 MediaPortal 2.3.1 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common...
    Replies
    Views
    No compatibility settings at all please. MP2 runs on Windows 10 without further interaction.
    No compatibility settings at all please. MP2 runs on Windows 10 without further interaction.
    I am new to MediaPortal and just installed the newest 2.2.3 on a Windows 10. The first few days were fine, we recorded TV and...
    Replies
    Views
    Recently I have been trying to reduce or eliminate juddering on my system. I notice it particularly with: Horizontal panning (e.g. in travel or nature documentaries) Horizontal "ticker tape" news feeds (e.g. "Sky News" channel) Vertically scrolling programme credits (e.g. "Mock the Week") I originally had my Nvidia screen-config set...
    Recently I have been trying to reduce or eliminate juddering on my system. I notice it particularly with: Horizontal panning (e.g...
    Tinkering with using MadVR. I'm still running a 1080p TV, but have plenty of old DVD rips that I haven't updated yet, and my next...
    Replies
    Views
    This time i installed MP 1.23 pre release before updating windows and all went well.
    This time i installed MP 1.23 pre release before updating windows and all went well.
    I installed the windows 10 1903 feature update a couple days ago then updated MP 1 to the 1.23 pre release. I have 3 installations...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom