ISSUE: TV Streaming with Flash Player in Webmediaportal (1 Viewer)

John Koutromanos

July 25, 2012
Petroúpolis, Greece
Home Country
Greece Greece
I have noticable performance issue (the motion is not smooth) when I watch streamed TV in WebMediaPortal from my PC at home. The issue applies to all flash profiles. I have the same experiense (and even slightly worse with audio mainly) when I use the vlc player with the m3u link below the flash player. I don't have the issue on my Tablet with aMPdroid 1.1 and FFMPEG.
The strange is that the utilization (vls wrapper) on the server is below 40% and both PCs are on a gigabit Ethernet.
Finally my server is an i5 machine with 4 GBs RAM and the client is an i7 with 8 GBs RAM.
IS this behaviour normal? Is there anything I can do about it? Can I manually configure different encoder/decoder?

bakerpr

Portal Pro
July 21, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Would this issue be limited to HD streams only? as I can stream SD, but similar to you I can not get fluid HD.

John Koutromanos

July 25, 2012
Petroúpolis, Greece
Home Country
Greece Greece
The issue was actually on all streams, even the LQ but I found a resolution and is quite simple. I though that the issue would be related with frames and the way are encoded. Then I googled it a bit and presto! I am located in Greece and the Europian signal standard is PAL so I only had to replace on the C:\ProgramData\MPExtended\StreamingProfiles.xml the string <tsOptions>--sout-mux-caching=5000</tsOptions> with <tsOptions>--sout-mux-caching=5000 --sout-transcode-fps=25</tsOptions>. The jwplayer works flawlesssly though the m3u link that opens vlc although is improved still has issues with audio sync.

DizzieNL

Portal Member
June 1, 2008
I can confirm that your fps setting is solving stuttering playback for http live streaming profiles!

Edit: also the Flash profiles benefit from this setting.

I'm living in The Netherlands, also using PAL-standards. Maybe a good idea to make the fps a setting inside the GUI.

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm living in The Netherlands, also using PAL-standards. Maybe a good idea to make the fps a setting inside the GUI.
    Which provider are you using? Funnily enough, it works 100% fine with the default settings and Ziggo for me...

DizzieNL

Portal Member
    June 1, 2008
    Which provider are you using? Funnily enough, it works 100% fine with the default settings and Ziggo for me...

My provider is Lijbrandt (glassfibre), I'm using their unencrypted DVB-C signal.

Maybe there is some setting inside the VLC encoder that is used by MPExtended that is different per system? For me the benefits are significant.

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    I also can confim that this solves choppy playback for PAL/50hz users.

This seems to be a "bug" in the streaming profiles configuration

This should be corrected by the following option.
    -Can it be fixed in the transcoder?
    -Users can choose between NTSC/PAL profiles - Maybe optional in Settings pane?
    -MPextended should check for screen refresh rate(50 or 60 hz) and set appriate options in streamingprofile accordingly

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    As far as I know VLC / ffmpeg encodes to the same fps as the source material is.. so I'm not sure why this fix helps at all. However, since it works, what would the downside of adding it by default be? Broken NTSC support?

-Can it be fixed in the transcoder?
    I don't know; you'll have to contact the VLC / ffmpeg devs for that.

-MPextended should check for screen refresh rate(50 or 60 hz) and set appriate options in streamingprofile accordingly
    Impossible (you can't access that information from within the browser).

Tinho

April 17, 2014
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    I can confirm that this modification works for me as well and I am located in Hong Kong. Thanks so much for this finding. Now enjoying watching TV from everywhere :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom