Issues and Questions about the Popular section (1 Viewer)

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @ltfearme,

I have some minor remarks to the trakt plugin which came up recently.
    Don't know if this is the right place to report them. If not I apologize...

1. Popular list
    The popular view looks like this for me online
    screen_mmnote_20150416_080106.jpg

In mp trakt I get
    screen_mmnote_20150416_080438.jpg

Looks like those are only movies present in my library but there is no filter set. And 3 of the 4 movies from the online list are in my library as well and should come up here as well if it was just a filter causing the difference.

2. Menu item jump / not corresponding
    screen_mmnote_20150416_081728.jpg

Whenever I select an item from the menu it will open the corresponding page but the highlight in the menu will jump to another item. It appeared to me to be the last used item but I'm not sure... Really minor misbehavior just a bit confusing :) Especially cause I'd expect one of the menu items on the right side to be preselected.

3. User guidance
    I didn't find any way to get back to the dashboard except for hitting the back button a lot of times. Is it intended like that?
    Btw about the back button: Honestly I am not sure how the logic is for 'back' in mp in general but the way the trakt plugin does it appeared strange/new to me. It does go back all the pages in chronological order. I would have expected it to jump out of the plugin as soon as I reached one of the main menu items on the left and hit 'back' again. But, again, might be a false impression on my side...

4. The german translations were kind of chaotic cause like in Dutch one would translate 'popular' and 'trending' into the same german word. I tried to get this clean in transifex.

5. I'd love to see the possibility to leave a comment after watching a show (like yesterday when the fabulous Justified ended...). I've seen on the issue tracker that you're working on this. It'd be great if the comment could be started from the rating dialog.

6. Your plugin is amazing. Thank you very much :)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi @ltfearme,

I have some minor remarks to the trakt plugin which came up recently.
    Don't know if this is the right place to report them. If not I apologize...

1. Popular list
    The popular view looks like this for me online
    View attachment 163900
    In mp trakt I get
    View attachment 163899
    Looks like those are only movies present in my library but there is no filter set. And 3 of the 4 movies from the online list are in my library as well and should come up here as well if it was just a filter causing the difference.
    The plugin sorts the movies different than online but the same movies are there if you scroll down.

2. Menu item jump / not correspondingView attachment 163894

Whenever I select an item from the menu it will open the corresponding page but the highlight in the menu will jump to another item. It appeared to me to be the last used item but I'm not sure... Really minor misbehavior just a bit confusing :) Especially cause I'd expect one of the menu items on the right side to be preselected.
    This is okay for me, it just looks like a translation issue with your language. Possibly you have Trending and Popular mixed up.

3. User guidance
    I didn't find any way to get back to the dashboard except for hitting the back button a lot of times. Is it intended like that?
    Btw about the back button: Honestly I am not sure how the logic is for 'back' in mp in general but the way the trakt plugin does it appeared strange/new to me. It does go back all the pages in chronological order. I would have expected it to jump out of the plugin as soon as I reached one of the main menu items on the left and hit 'back' again. But, again, might be a false impression on my side...
    Not 100% sure what you're saying but when pressing back it works the same as other plugins. It basically takes you back to the last window you were on. If there are multiple view levels with-in a window then it make take you back a level.

I don't think I want to change that behaviour as it works as expected for me, maybe you want a remote action that can take you to the dashboard no matter where you are.

4. The german translations were kind of chaotic cause like in Dutch one would translate 'popular' and 'trending' into the same german word. I tried to get this clean in transifex.
    Yes, I noticed a few translations online where Trending = Popular. I think this was difficult for some people to translate initially but translators like yourself will need to fix that online. I knew this would become a problem for those languages when I added the Popular screen.

5. I'd love to see the possibility to leave a comment after watching a show (like yesterday when the fabulous Justified ended...). I've seen on the issue tracker that you're working on this. It'd be great if the comment could be started from the rating dialog.
    You're the first to ask I believe ;) I may add it down track.

6. Your plugin is amazing. Thank you very much :)
    Thanks, glad you like it.

Last edited:

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The plugin sorts the movies different than online but the same movies are there if you scroll down.
    Allright, just didn't know if it is supposed to be like that.
    var rm="read_more ...";var o="... Read Less";var adjustheight=20; This is okay for me, it just looks like a translation issue with your language. Possibly you have Trending and Popular mixed up.
    No I checked that. Please have a second look. I can make a screencapture if you like.
    I don't think I want to change that behaviour as it works as expected for me, maybe you want a remote action that can take you to the dashboard no matter where you are.
    Ok, fine with me. Don't know how to make the remote action though. Is there a screen-id for the dashboard?
    Yes, I noticed a few translations online where Trending = Popular. I think this was difficult for some people to translate initially but translators like yourself will need to fix that online
    Done!
    You're the first to ask I believe ;) I may add it down track.
    I was thinking this issue
    It is really not a big thing. Still grateful for considering...

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No I checked that. Please have a second look. I can make a screencapture if you like.
    I think I might understand what you're saying now. This is most likely a skinning issue but will take a look incase there is something I can do in the plugin.

Each time you press a button it loads a new window but the menu on the left is part of the window (its a common set of controls which gets loaded each time you press one of those buttons which has a sub-menu e.g. Trending, Watchlist, Recommendations, Popular). Because the skin is remembering the last button highlighted it is re-selecting that if you had previously been on the window e.g.

1. Dashboard
    2. Click Popular
    3. Navigate to left and press Trending (last highlighted button is now 'Trending' for the Popular window).
    4. Click on Trending.
    5. Navigate to the left and press Popular.

Expected: Highlight 'Trending' on the left because trending was the last button selected when we had the Popular window loaded and the skin has remember last focused control.

In a way this is not expected, but its kinds of the way the skin engine works when the skin was designed this way. Those buttons on the left are just a shortcut to save you going back to the dashboard but I can see how this can be confusing for you. But to be clear, this is more a skin design issue, I will see If I can make this better.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The best I can probably do @Luca Brasi is remove the 'remember last focused control' from the skin xmls for the windows that show you the middle set of buttons in Trending, Watchlist, Recommendations, Popular.

What that will mean is:
    if you load Popular it will select Popular Movies and then click back it will re-select Popular Movies button.
    If you load Popular Shows and click back it will re-select the Popular Movies button because thats the default control for the window. Previously it would remember you had last selected Popular Shows.

Funnily enough I never use the buttons on the left unless Im on the dashboard i.e. I always press Back once more if I leave a movie/show window.

fyi the window id for the window where you see the dashboard is 87258 (Trakt.xml)

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for looking deeper into this @ltfearme!
    Just had a look at it and for me it feels more intuitive and logical. I'd vote for going with that version.
    Btw is there a particular reason you didn't include the dashboard as an item in the left hand menu?

Oh and thanks for moving the discussion to an own thread. Should have opened one in the first place...

Last edited:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Btw is there a particular reason you didn't include the dashboard as an item in the left hand menu?
    No particular reason, didn't even think about it to be honest. Its possible to add it without any plugin changes since its up to the skin designer to add that stuff. I may add it.

Im thinking of removing the Recommendations, Popular, Trending and Watchlist buttons from the main menu and replace it with two items 'Movies' and 'Shows', then you can choose from Recommendations, Popular, Trending, Watchlist plus any future features...I have to think and play with it a bit more.

Just had a look at it and for me it feels more intuitive and logical. I'd vote for going with that version.
    Cool, I will make that change then to the Titan, DefaultWide and StreamedMP skins.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ich like the idea of starting with movies/series. It's more like the trakt website...

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ich like the idea of starting with movies/series. It's more like the trakt website...
    I made those changes so skinners can group movie and show items as well as added a window for lists so you can group all the watchlist buttons and custom list window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom