Justop G-PC Quad Core Windows 8.1 Mini PC (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    x64 should be ok.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Cant install any other versions of windows over the top of the one thats installed on there. Windows7 wont install because its not happy that its an older version, and another copy of windows 8 gets so far with the install, and then i get a generic 'your installation was not successful, reinstalling your previous version'. At which point im back to square one.

Im going to update to windows 10 and hope that i dont have the .net3.5 issues with that version. Other than that i really dont know what to do, ive thrown everything at it and the piece of crap wont budge! Only other option i see is that i update all other clients and server in my network to MP2 and just run off the .net4 thats on there as standard.

:'-(

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Finally installed MP last night after updating to Win10. All seems to work well and plays everything so far. Struggled a bit with anything >=1080p due to being hooked up to the network via wifi but ill give wired network a go tonight. If it still struggles at all ill get a USB ethernet adapter as per your other thread.

Only issue im having now is that there seems to be an issue in Win10 of the user being asked for a password everytime you wake from S3. Obviously this has nothing to do with the Justop and you can override the settings so that it doesnt do this from startup (S5), but the option for not asking for password from wake doesnt seem to work. Hopefully MS will look into this as it seems like a bug.

(y)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    there seems to be an issue in Win10 of the user being asked for a password everytime you wake from S3
    For several years I refused to define a password for my HTPC (used with WMC at that time), with the result that I could never get my laptop to connect to the HTPC via the home network. :mad: To transfer files between the HTPC and the laptop I had to use a memory stick. :mad::mad: I finally got fed up with that and defined a password for the HTPC. Result: the laptop immediately connected to the HTPC!

Having to use a keyboard to enter a password is annoying for an HTPC, so I later changed my passwords on the HTPC and the laptop to a single digit "0", which can be entered via the remote control (so no keyboard required). (Aside: I use a BIOS power-on password on my laptop, so I don't think that it is any less secure.)

the option for not asking for password from wake doesnt seem to work.
    This is set in the power plan. Are you saying that it is accepted but ignored?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    This is set in the power plan. Are you saying that it is accepted but ignored?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Correct, I can select 'Dont require a passowrd from sleep' and save the setting but Win10 ignores it. There is a seperate option for 'Dont require password from startup' (or similar) which works perfectly, just not the option from wake (S3).

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Edit: Further to my last post...It looks like if Win10 is left to go to sleep on its own (ie, no manual sleep button) then the system seems to wake from sleep perfectly and extremely quickly.

Im starting to suspect that there are 2 different power states going on here. Manually entering sleep mode (power->sleep) seems to put the system into a deeper sleep state which then asks for a password. Leaving the machine to go to sleep on its own seems to be a higher sleep state (possibly hybrid?) and theres no problem.

Would be interesting to know the power consumption of both methods.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Manually entering sleep mode (power->sleep) seems to put the system into a deeper sleep state which then asks for a password. Leaving the machine to go to sleep on its own seems to be a higher sleep state (possibly hybrid?) and theres no problem.´
    Nothing to do with Win 10 but wth the Justop. Pushing the PC into standby by means of skin switches is like switching it off and USB ports go offline. I am surprised that you are actually able to wake it back up again. For me the remote is no longer functioning after manual standby.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    The Justop wasnt able to wake from sleep via USB peripherals to start with. I then followed your suggestion in your first post of changing USB power settings in device manager and everything was fine after that. Havent tried it with a remote yet, but mouse and keyboard wake it just fine.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    I went full nerd on the Justop today. Was interested to see what the power ratings were compared to the specs, so i hooked my multimeter up to the DC input and measured current flow into the unit (and hence power consumption) at different running states.

See below for results:

i6ypok.jpg

Off ----------------------------------------- 8.8mA (0.1W)
    Windows desktop ------------------- 280mA (3.36W)
    MePo Home Screen ---------------- 590mA (7.1W)
    Mepo Fullscreen mpeg2 video -- 400mA (4.8W)
    Sleep (S3) ------------------------------ 110mA (1.32W)

It did throttle to circa 1A (12W) on occasion when the processor was doing any sort of work, but nevertheless these are some seriously impressive figures and im very happy with the unit so far. Will be interested to see what the power rating is for fullscreen 1080p video, but i dont see it being anything outrageous.

:)

Last edited:

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Off ----------------------------------------- 8.8mA (0.1W)
    Windows desktop ------------------- 280mA (3.36W)
    MePo Home Screen ---------------- 90mA (7.1W)
    Mepo Fullscreen mpeg2 video -- 400mA (4.8W)
    Sleep (S3) ------------------------------ 110mA (1.32W)
    Something is off here. If 400mA are 4.8watts, how can 90mA be 7.1watts ?

Edit:
    Now I have to edit my posting too, LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom