Keep Separate Sort Orders For Scheduled Recordings And Scheduled Series (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    [noparse]
    Started on: 2016-01-17
    last update: 2016-01-17

Summary:
    Maintain separate sort orders for the list of scheduled recordings, and the list of scheduled series.

Area:
    MedialPortal client, "Scheduled Recordings" panel.

Description:
    On the "Scheduled Recordings" panel, I almost always want the list sorted in order of date increasing, so that I can see immediately what the next few recordings will be. But when I use the LEFT button to display the menu on the left, and select "Series", the list of scheduled series inherits the same sort order as the list of scheduled recordings. I almost always never want the list of scheduled series sorted in date-increasing order, as it makes it difficult to find the series that I want to review. Instead, I almost always want the scheduled series ordered alphabetically.

Solution: maintain two separate sort orders: one for the list of scheduled recordings, and another for the list of scheduled series.
    [/noparse]

hurley

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    In all my time with MePo it never occurred to me click that series button, so I did, and BAM! 31 pages of all my ancient and obsolete schedules of the last few years.
    Was like a trip down memory lane. lol

I'm inclined to agree. Seems logical for the series scheds to be sorted alpha vs by date for normal view.
    Depends how much of a pain it is to implement I guess and how long mm's todo list is for TVE3.5..?
    Probably would be pretty low priority unless someone provides a patch for TVE3 & TVE3.5

Would such a change need to be documented or have a mantis/jira opened first?

hurley

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Took a look at this and implemented the changes. Not much to it really. Tested on MP 1.3.0 all OK.
    Unfortunately I can't provide a binary to test because I can't compile MP 1.12 on my system. :mad:
    My everything is way out of date and will probably take days to get set up for the current MP versions.

So if anyone is set up for the task and can drop the attached file into a 1.12.0 build and then upload TvPlugin.dll for CyberSimian to test, would be much appreciated.
    The file is located here: MediaPortal\TvEngine3\TVLibrary\TvPlugin\TvPlugin\TVScheduler.cs

In the mean time, I shall get my sh*t together. :notworthy:

EDIT:
    Aughh, nuGet.. I'm starting to feel old. Nevermind, back in business. Modified TvPlugin.dll attached for MP 1.12.0

Attachments

• Separate sort orders for TV-Scheduler_TvPlugin_dll_MP 1.12.0.zip
      187.1 KB
    Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Modified TvPlugin.dll attached for MP 1.12.0
    I wasn't entirely sure where to stick it :D, so I put it here:

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins\TvPlugin.dll

I then tried to start "TV Server Config" (to enable the plugin), and got this:

tv_server_config_error.jpg

After clicking "OK", "TV Server Config" did start, but the plugins section did not seem to show a new one (presumably omitted because of the error?).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

hurley

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    My apologies, I should have been more informative about the task.
    The modified TvPlugin replaces your existing TvPlugin.dll in:

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\Windows

First stop the TVService then copy the original file somewhere safe before pasting the new one there.
    Then restart the TVService and start MP as normal. There's no need to enable it or anything.

I'll post a patch file once I've got my head around Git, if I can ever get the master-clone downloaded...
    But for now I need to catch up some sleep, just clocked 33 hrs awake.:eek:

I've re-attached the source file and a crumy WinMerge patch for now.
    By the way, just to confirm, you are running MP 1.12.0 right? I just assumed so from your system specs.

Attachments

• TVScheduler_cs.rar
      9.2 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    First stop the TVService then copy the original file somewhere safe before pasting the new one there. Then restart the TVService and start MP as normal. There's no need to enable it or anything.
    Got it! Unfortunately this will have to wait until tomorrow, as the HTPC is in use at the moment. I will report back and let you know what happens. Thank you for taking the time to add this feature. (y)

By the way, just to confirm, you are running MP 1.12.0 right?
    Yes, my system specs are up to date. :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    First stop the TVService then copy the original file somewhere safe before pasting the new one there. Then restart the TVService and start MP as normal. There's no need to enable it or anything.
    Brilliant! :) I have now tested the fix and can confirm that it works as expected (y). I tested different sort orders, and also closing and restarting MP (to confirm that the setting is retained). The only disappointment is that I can't find anything to criticise :p.

I really, really, really, REALLY hope that this change will be incorporated into the next release of MP, otherwise I will not be able to migrate from MP 1.12. Many many thanks. :)

hurley

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Great news, thanks for testing the file.
    It's a win == win really because I need the opportunity to learn the patching process and the changes are just a minor tweak of existing code.
    I don't know what the chances are of this getting accepted due to freeze on TVE3, as it's not really a bug.
    But if I can make the right patches for both TVE3 and TVE3.5 (to make life easier for the dev team) it may have a shot.

Hope I got this part right: Patches attached for MediaPortal-1-master and EXP-TVE3.5-MP1-MP2_mm_working.
    Maybe @Developers could comment if I'm on the right track here / should open a 'patch' thread for this / no chance etc...
    I'm brand new to Git, patches and version control in general so I'm running on instinct here.

Cheers, hurley.

EDIT: Tagging @mm1352000 because it's probably your call in the end. ;)

Attachments

• [Patch] Add independent sort options for series view in TV Scheduler [MediaPortal-1-master].patch
      5.6 KB
    • [Patch] Add independent sort options for series view in TV Sc [EXP-TVE3.5-MP1-MP2_mm_working].patch
      5.8 KB
    Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For all who like this proposed sorting way: this is the default inside MP2 :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I am pleased to announce that this change will be available in MP 1.18. :)

I would like to express my thanks to @hurley for creating this capability and providing me with a build for MP 1.12, and to @regeszter for merging the code into the MP codebase. Thanks guys.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom