[Finished] [MP2-789] Keyboard shortcuts (1 Viewer)

Man Pang

Portal Pro
May 25, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know it is possible to map keys in MediaPortal 2 using various plugins but can we have native keyboard control built into MediaPortal 2? It is very time consuming to create mapped keys on every client machine I have.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was thinking about that too.
    I think it would be a good idea to have a callback in the key Input function of the main form.
    Then create a Plugin where you can map the Input (may be even Special binding for individual Screens).
    This Plugin should be in the base Installation then.
    Also Definition of bindings per Input device can be important.
    Sharing these Settings over multiple Clients (means storing them on the Server) might be not what everyone wnats, since Clients can be different.

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    There is no need to store the settings for each client in a server. Each client should have its own keyboard settings file (and if this does not exist, there should be default keyboard mappings so that a user can immediately use keyboard control immediately after installing MP2). An advantage of storing the settings on the client computer allows the settings file to be copied to other client machines with similar requirements (and not necessarily within the same network). For example, MP2 could give me default keyboard bindings but I may want to change them to match up with a certain remote control I am using. I could export my settings to an XML file and copy them to another machine elsewhere which may require similar requirements.

I think it is quite fundamental that default keyboard bindings should be at least included natively - MP2 is unusable with the keyboard after installation. I develop media players for the broadcasting industry and there are always default keyboard shortcuts available, otherwise users will not be able to achieve commands such as rewind, play/pause, next item on playlist, etc.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes keyboard control is virtually non existent except for cursor, enter and backspace keys. The symptoms are the same as per https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal2-keyboard-shortcuts.132423/ I have seen the wiki page you provided but it only mentions commands that need to be binded (whether by keyboard, remote control, mouse, joystick or other input device). Immediately after install, there is no keyboard control to pause/play, rewind, etc. It requires the installation of a plugin to map the keys to the commands and this is frustrating since I have to do this on every client PC. I've attached the logs if it is of any use.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Ah OK I see what you mean, there doesn't appear to be default key mappings for the player controls and I agree these should probably be included

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Ah OK I see what you mean, there doesn't appear to be default key mappings for the player controls and I agree these should probably be included

I see the keyboard shortcuts have still not been implemented in MediaPortal 2.1

Langi

Portal Member
    October 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I see the keyboard shortcuts have still not been implemented in MediaPortal 2.1

Yes, I can't believe that we don't have the possibility to use anything else than a MCE Remote. There are thouthands of custom builds with different remotes out there. I've spend $160 for a Logitech Harmony which can't be used now.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've spend $160 for a Logitech Harmony which can't be used now.
    So why don't you configure it for a Windows Media Center PC to control MediaPortal?

Langi

Portal Member
    October 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    To be honest - I don't know exactly which prerequisites has to be fullfiled. Setting up Harmony as a "Windows Remote" is a possible solution but I believe there has to be also a compatible IR-Receiver for this to work.

Users who are viewing this thread