Launch a random trailer before movie (1 Viewer)

WhyMe

Portal Member
July 26, 2008
Home Country
France France
Re : Launch a random trailer before movie

My modified MovingPictures version do that : play random trailer before movie ;)

VincAlastor

Portal Member
May 5, 2011
AW: Re : Launch a random trailer before movie

About the intro video; I have intro videos for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. I was thinking that it would be cool if MP could display the intro file for the audio codec of the movie about to be watched.

Your right, this would be very nice. is there a movingpicture developer which we could ask for that feature?

My modified MovingPictures version do that : play random trailer before movie ;)

and would you publish your modified version, please?

:oops: intro trailers don't run with MPC-HC as external player... i think movingpictures has to write a temporary playlist file which include the intro trailers and the movie

WhyMe

Portal Member
July 26, 2008
Home Country
France France
Re : AW: Re : Launch a random trailer before movie

and would you publish your modified version, please?

No, not on the forum.
I do it in past, not in the rules, because it's just a modified version for my usage, not a version for publish.
( it requires versionning different from original MovingPictures, different name and publish source code )

I can send it via PM, but use it at your own risk, no support will be done ;)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So I have done a little bit of work on custom intro videos for Moving Pictures 1.3 (and still plan to do a bit more). The idea is to allow wildcards in your path for your custom intro, so for example you could use "c:\intros\${audiocodec}.avi" and it would play a different intro video based on the audio codec of the video. Additionally if you point it to a directory instead of a file it will play a random video from that directory. So you could use "c:\trailers\" to play a random trailer before your movie. You can see some partial documentation already written up on our wiki.

One thing I am struggling with though is genre. A logical combination of the wildcards enhancement and the directory enhancement would be something like "c:\trailers\${genre}\". The problem is a single movie can be tagged with several genres. I am not really sure how to handle this beyond just using the first genre. Any ideas?

If anyone would like to chat real time jump on our IRC channel.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    One thing I am struggling with though is genre. A logical combination of the wildcards enhancement and the directory enhancement would be something like "c:\trailers\${genre}\". The problem is a single movie can be tagged with several genres. I am not really sure how to handle this beyond just using the first genre. Any ideas?

Using first genre should work in most cases, however IMDb tends to alphabetize genres, meaning that a Thriller with some Action will be listed as "|Action|Thriller|".

I've actually noticed that the MPAA rating section at imdb.com sometimes allows for clarification on the main genre, so it could be possible to add scraper support for this.

Example:

The Matrix (1999)
    Genres = Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi
    MPAA = "Rated R for sci-fi violence and brief language."

Could use the 'sci-fi' reference from MPAA to import this as "|Sci-Fi|Action|Adventure|" with some scraper adjustments, so that first genre selection is correct. Would need to go through a much larger sample set to see if this is reliable on more then a few movies that I tried it on.

Another option would be to just take the contents of all the matches of "c:\trailers\${genre}\" on multiple genres (if that is possible), toss them in an array and pick a random one from that.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    I am not interested in a solution that would require changes to scraper scripts. I think the idea of a "primary genre" field is good, but I think few sites would be able to provide this information. And as far as custom intros go I would really like to find a solution that works now and for everyone.

Randomizing based on all the possible values makes sense though I think. This would complicate the wildcard code but it would probably be doable. I think this is probably the best option unless we brought the filtering system into play which I really don't want to do.

VincAlastor

Portal Member
    May 5, 2011
    I am not interested in a solution that would require changes to scraper scripts. I think the idea of a "primary genre" field is good, but I think few sites would be able to provide this information. And as far as custom intros go I would really like to find a solution that works now and for everyone.

Randomizing based on all the possible values makes sense though I think. This would complicate the wildcard code but it would probably be doable. I think this is probably the best option unless we brought the filtering system into play which I really don't want to do.

Could you make it possible to use intro trailers with external player like mpc-hc, please? :)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Launch a random trailer before movie

Is there also planned that you can chose a specific trailer for a specific movie? Something similar to Backdrop path <-> Trailer path? For each movie..

Jocker_Boy

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Lisbon
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Re: AW: Launch a random trailer before movie

Is there also planned that you can chose a specific trailer for a specific movie? Something similar to Backdrop path <-> Trailer path? For each movie..

I agree.
    If detected the word "trailer" in movie folder, it plays the trailer, if not then or play a random trailer or look for online.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Launch a random trailer before movie

I agree.
    If detected the word "trailer" in movie folder, it plays the trailer, if not then or play a random trailer or look for online.

With the latest version of online videos you can search for a trailer strait from the Moving Pictures movie details page. It works very very well and it is easy to use. Because of this it is unlikely we will add support for locally stored trailers any time soon. It's a feature we would like to have but it would not be a good use of our time to implement an alternative to an existing feature.

But please lets not derail this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom