launch live tv ( and change channels?) directly using generic hid (1 Viewer)

ahkali

Portal Member
December 3, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Apolgies if this has been answered somewhere, but I can't find it, and the config gui is very confusing.

Mother is visiting and I would like to have something super simple would like to (in order of priority):
  • With mediaportal open, directly launch live tv
  • previous/next channel from remote
  • Launch mediaportal from remote and go directly to play livetv
My HID remote has a button that sends "Ctrl+Alt+D" (among others). So I figured if I can just associate "ctrl+alt+D" as the 'launch livetv' hotkey, then I would be golden. Problem is I can't find where to change this hotkey. I see:
  • Keyboard Default Shortcuts (in expert mode)
  • Keys and Sounds (in expert mode)
  • Remote HID mapping

But I can't see which settings to change. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since your remote is sending this kind of shortcut it's either not an MCE remote or your registry has been tempered with.
    Neither our HID handler nor our keyboard handler currently support keys with modifiers such as Ctrl+Alt+D.
    I believe you could use the Sceneo/Centarea handler instead. Other @Developers @Testers or @SuperUser could help you there.

We have an option to start live TV when on opening the TV menu:
    upload_2016-9-20_9-28-45.png

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My HID remote has a button that sends "Ctrl+Alt+D" (among others).
    This is not a sequence that the Ortek/Hama remote sends, so I am not sure that I can help. Do you know the manufacturer and model number of the remote? Maybe IRSS could be used to get it to work.

To be honest, if you want a solution within the next few days, you would be better off going to your local electronics store and buying a new remote control with accompanying IR reciever that is described on the packaging as being a "WMC-compatible, RC6 remote control". The "RC6" part is important, as it defines the IR signalling protocol. There are other "WMC-compatible" remotes that are not "RC6" remotes (the Ortek/Hama is one such), and these are more difficult to get working, so best avoided.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    EventGhostPlus extension with message sender plugin should be able to do this something similar albeit a bit of an workaround:

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/input-output/eventghostplus

Can then add Mediaportal commands to EventGhost and bind to key event.

Other option is with EventGhost standalone (no extension) and add:

- Startup Mediaportal
    - Wait for x seconds
    - Execute key command for live tv window

ahkali

Portal Member
    December 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I see from the Amazon page that the remote is described as being "Windows compatible" (various releases), but it does not specifically mention "WMC" (Windows Media Center) or "MCE" (Windows Media Center Edition). Significantly, none of the user reviews mention WMC, either.

I'm just going to buy the Ortek MCE remote.
    The Ortek remote (aka Hama in Europe) does work with MP1, but you need to use a special config file. Also, the Ortek has several quirks, most (but not all) of which can be circumvented by using an AutoHotKey script. I have made available a zip file containing both the config file and the AutoHotKey script. The Ortek is actually what I currently use, but loaded into a Logitech Harmony 650 universal remote control.

Having said all that, I would still recommend buying a true "WMC compatible, RC6" remote control (which the Ortek is not). I don't know what your budget is, but this one fits the bill ($26):

Edit: All of the following are sold without an IR receiver, so you would need to purchase a compatible receiver separately, which increases the prices. Sorry I overlooked that. :oops:

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-INT-...401391&sr=8-1&keywords=inteset+remote+control

I quite like the One-for-All range of universal remotes. This is one of my favourites ($24):

https://www.amazon.com/One-All-Univ...74&sr=8-6&keywords=one+for+all+remote+control

This one has been favourably reviewed elsewhere, and can be programmed via the web ($38):

https://www.amazon.com/One-All-OARU...74&sr=8-1&keywords=one+for+all+remote+control

And don't forget the Logitech range; I like the Harmony 650 ($50):

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Har...32&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+650+remote+control

Remotes can be very personal items. I have numerous different remotes, and can find something to criticise about every single one! :eek:

Last edited:

ahkali

Portal Member
    December 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for your recommendations Cyber. I went with the Inteset INT-422. Do you have an IR receiver you would recommend? (My guess is the receiver that came with my first non-MCE remote wouldnt work.)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your recommendations Cyber. I went with the Inteset INT-422. Do you have an IR receiver you would recommend? (My guess is the receiver that came with my first non-MCE remote wouldnt work.)
    An Inteset receiver should do. Search those forum for a review. However they could be doing only internal receivers.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    My guess is the receiver that came with my first non-MCE remote wouldn't work.
    Yes, that is almost certainly the case. Example: the Ortek IR receiver does not respond to WMC RC6 remotes.

An Inteset receiver should do. Search those forum for a review. However they could be doing only internal receivers.
    Inteset do in fact sell an external USB IR receiver, this one:

http://shop.inteset.com/usb-external-infrared-ir-receiver-only-with-cable

HP receivers are quite good too:
    Yes, I concur. I have that IR receiver, and it works fine with WMC RC6 remotes. (It does not work with the Ortek!) HP also make (or made, I am not sure whether they are still in production) several WMC RC6 remotes for use with that IR receiver. However, the advantage of the Inteset is that it has back-lighted buttons, which the HP remotes do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom